Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hi, everybody! Anyone have experience running a coil fork and an air shock? I'm thinking of pairing a mrp ribbon coil with a x2 shock. I've never run a coil fork, and am wondering if this pairing would feel wonky. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage Fu View Post
    Hi, everybody! Anyone have experience running a coil fork and an air shock? I'm thinking of pairing a mrp ribbon coil with a x2 shock. I've never run a coil fork, and am wondering if this pairing would feel wonky. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    Should add that cane creek helm coil is on my radar, too.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of pairing a mrp ribbon coil with a x2 shock. I've never run a coil fork, and am wondering if this pairing would feel wonky. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    The MRP coil is nice. I've got one on the front of my bike. No regrets with that purchase. I've got a coil on the rear of that bike so can't comment on the air shock.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I think it'd be a good setup, but one thing to keep in mind is the progressive linkage and then coupling that with the extra progression of an air shock + how ever many spacers you run for extra progression. It may make it a little harder to balance the bike out.

I ran a 36 with ASC-3 + X2 on my Warden C, and as far as the suspension characteristics went, it was great. I was in between spring rates, so went with a firmer spring, and just a little bit in the bump-stop. I didn't have ton of time on it, and removed it however due to it being 170, and I liked the bike better with a 160mm fork. The small bump was awesome and I felt way less hand/arm fatigue, so it's a good combo.

So yea long and short, no problems running it, but dialing in the right setup might be difficult because your front end's spring rate is pretty set while you're dialing in the rear. Once you get it dialed in it's money though!

Robertson
    I’ve now gotten a few rides on my Fugitive, currently in short travel mode, and figured I’d post some first impressions. Full disclaimer: I am sponsored by Knolly as a grassroots rider so this bike was bought on discount.

About me: 5’11”, 215 geared up mostly muscle. I’m an advanced/expert rider and would describe my riding style as forward and aggressive. Enjoy jumps but like smashing through rocks more. Previous bikes are Yeti SB95, Evil Following V1, Evil Wreckoning, GG Smash, and a few brief stints on Pivot Firebird 27.5 and SC Bronson (newest version). I live in SoCal, primarily San Diego area.

The Fug is to serve as my primary trail and Enduro racing bike for 2019 and other than a hardtail is my only bike. It is replacing a Guerilla Gravity Smash that I had for a year.

A word on sizing: I was back and forth between medium and large. As mentioned previously I'm 5'11" but with some weird body proportions. My weakness riding is more tight stuff (especially switchbacks) over tech and high speed. I ended up spending quite a bit of time talking with Noel (thanks for the advice!) on the phone and shared all the above info with him. His final recc was “you’re a solid medium”, which is what I got with a 50mm stem and plan for 150 fork.

The bike: ridden only is short travel mode so far as my LT fork was on backorder for over a month. ST is fox 34 140 and rockshox deluxe 120. LT is DVO diamond 150 and topaz 135. Wheels are i9 enduro 305 tires Bontrager SE4 rear (with Vittoria Air liner) and either Conti Baron (winter/wet) or Kaiser (summer/dry) front. I’ll spare you the nitpicky on the build for the more detailed review, which will come after I have more time on the bike in LT mode.

So quick first impressions, first and foremost is damn this is a pretty bike. The black cherry is hands down the best looking paintjob I’ve ever seen. As I mentioned in a previous post, finish and aesthetics are a league above (IMO obviously) the very industrial look of the GG. The main two things that I can take away from the ride at this point are the cornering and the braking. The cornering is the best of any bike since my old Following, which makes me excited for how it will be once I ride it more and get even more used to it. The braking though…I’ve never ridden, let alone owned, a bike that delivers so much braking traction. Smooth surface, rough surface, doesn’t matter. I found myself on the last ride intentionally coming into corners way hotter than usually just to find the limits. Really awesome.

Don’t want to comment too much on suspension feel or overall ride characteristics at this point given that it’s in the ST mode. More to follow with a longer review in a month or two.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by james.stoup View Post
    I think it'd be a good setup, but one thing to keep in mind is the progressive linkage and then coupling that with the extra progression of an air shock + how ever many spacers you run for extra progression. It may make it a little harder to balance the bike out.

I ran a 36 with ASC-3 + X2 on my Warden C, and as far as the suspension characteristics went, it was great. I was in between spring rates, so went with a firmer spring, and just a little bit in the bump-stop. I didn't have ton of time on it, and removed it however due to it being 170, and I liked the bike better with a 160mm fork. The small bump was awesome and I felt way less hand/arm fatigue, so it's a good combo.

So yea long and short, no problems running it, but dialing in the right setup might be difficult because your front end's spring rate is pretty set while you're dialing in the rear. Once you get it dialed in it's money though!
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    The MRP coil is nice. I've got one on the front of my bike. No regrets with that purchase. I've got a coil on the rear of that bike so can't comment on the air shock.
    Thanks, James. I am wondering how hard it will be to tune the shock (probably go with 160 mm) to match the back (135 air). From what I understand, the x2 is highly tunable, so that should help, but don't know if it'll be enough to overcome a linear coil front with 25 mm more travel.

Appreciate your input, and looking forward to more of your videos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    And thanks, vik!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, James. I am wondering how hard it will be to tune the shock (probably go with 160 mm) to match the back (135 air). From what I understand, the x2 is highly tunable, so that should help, but don't know if it'll be enough to overcome a linear coil front with 25 mm more travel.

Appreciate your input, and looking forward to more of your videos.
    For sure. My recommendation is to not run any volume spacers and firm it up a little bit more. For me finding a similar supportive balance was the struggle just due to air vs coil curves. Keeping the X2 more linear helped with that, but if you like a progressive rear and a linear front, then you'll be fine. I just found with the extra midstroke support up front that the rear end would compress a bit more.

And glad you like my videos

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpearce1475 View Post
    I’ve now gotten a few rides on my Fugitive, currently in short travel mode, and figured I’d post some first impressions. Full disclaimer: I am sponsored by Knolly as a grassroots rider so this bike was bought on discount.

About me: 5’11”, 215 geared up mostly muscle. I’m an advanced/expert rider and would describe my riding style as forward and aggressive. Enjoy jumps but like smashing through rocks more. Previous bikes are Yeti SB95, Evil Following V1, Evil Wreckoning, GG Smash, and a few brief stints on Pivot Firebird 27.5 and SC Bronson (newest version). I live in SoCal, primarily San Diego area.

The Fug is to serve as my primary trail and Enduro racing bike for 2019 and other than a hardtail is my only bike. It is replacing a Guerilla Gravity Smash that I had for a year.

A word on sizing: I was back and forth between medium and large. As mentioned previously I'm 5'11" but with some weird body proportions. My weakness riding is more tight stuff (especially switchbacks) over tech and high speed. I ended up spending quite a bit of time talking with Noel (thanks for the advice!) on the phone and shared all the above info with him. His final recc was “you’re a solid medium”, which is what I got with a 50mm stem and plan for 150 fork.

The bike: ridden only is short travel mode so far as my LT fork was on backorder for over a month. ST is fox 34 140 and rockshox deluxe 120. LT is DVO diamond 150 and topaz 135. Wheels are i9 enduro 305 tires Bontrager SE4 rear (with Vittoria Air liner) and either Conti Baron (winter/wet) or Kaiser (summer/dry) front. I’ll spare you the nitpicky on the build for the more detailed review, which will come after I have more time on the bike in LT mode.

So quick first impressions, first and foremost is damn this is a pretty bike. The black cherry is hands down the best looking paintjob I’ve ever seen. As I mentioned in a previous post, finish and aesthetics are a league above (IMO obviously) the very industrial look of the GG. The main two things that I can take away from the ride at this point are the cornering and the braking. The cornering is the best of any bike since my old Following, which makes me excited for how it will be once I ride it more and get even more used to it. The braking though…I’ve never ridden, let alone owned, a bike that delivers so much braking traction. Smooth surface, rough surface, doesn’t matter. I found myself on the last ride intentionally coming into corners way hotter than usually just to find the limits. Really awesome.

Don’t want to comment too much on suspension feel or overall ride characteristics at this point given that it’s in the ST mode. More to follow with a longer review in a month or two.
    Nice post man! I live in north county SD, ride an Endorphin and love it. I'm eyeing a Fugitive LT as my next bike... looking forward to reading your review of the bike after you've ridden it in LT guise.

Where do you mostly ride around here?

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by sips View Post
    Nice post man! I live in north county SD, ride an Endorphin and love it. I'm eyeing a Fugitive LT as my next bike... looking forward to reading your review of the bike after you've ridden it in LT guise.

Where do you mostly ride around here?
    My two most common SD county rides are Black Mountain and Rancho La Costa/Double Peak (what I rode yesterday). Favorite SD county ride is Noble Canyon/Big Laguna. Also ride Skypark and Big Bear (summer) a fair amount.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Should add that cane creek helm coil is on my radar, too.
    I run the helm coil and I love it

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hi, everybody! Anyone have experience running a coil fork and an air shock?
    I ran the helm coil front and X2 rear for my first 4-5 rides on my LT but have since installed a cane creek coil shock. The X2 was a loaner from Knolly since the cane creek wasnt quite ready when they shipped my frame. I never thought it felt weird per se. I just never really quite got the X2 set up quite the way I like it. There are just so many adjustments. I will say that I would probably choose to install a 3rd volume spacer if I was keeping it.

mtbr member
    My two most common SD county rides are Black Mountain and Rancho La Costa/Double Peak (what I rode yesterday). Favorite SD county ride is Noble Canyon/Big Laguna. Also ride Skypark and Big Bear (summer) a fair amount.
    I just moved to north county so I'm riding Calavaras and La Costa, along with PQ rides since it's near my office. Noble is my fav as well, though Greer Ranch is up there too. I have to get out to Skypark, heard great things about it!

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by sips View Post
    I just moved to north county so I'm riding Calavaras and La Costa, along with PQ rides since it's near my office. Noble is my fav as well, though Greer Ranch is up there too. I have to get out to Skypark, heard great things about it!
    Skypark is an awesome place especially if you like jumps. You should check out the descents off Double Peak if you ride La Costa. Franks saddle to bowling alley and Elfin are fun as well. Fell free to PM me if you want more information or if you ever want to meet up to ride

mtbr member
    Interesting. After talking with Cavan, I settled on a Large (I'm ~5'10.5") and it fits me great. I had explained that my current bike (2013 Kona Process with 50mm stem) felt a little cramped so he suggested I go with the large. I currently have the 40mm stem on it, but just got a 32mm stem that I put on, but haven't ridden yet.
    2013 Kona Process
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by formu1fan View Post
    Interesting. After talking with Cavan, I settled on a Large (I'm ~5'10.5") and it fits me great. I had explained that my current bike (2013 Kona Process with 50mm stem) felt a little cramped so he suggested I go with the large. I currently have the 40mm stem on it, but just got a 32mm stem that I put on, but haven't ridden yet.
    Yea, I could have gone either way probably in the end. Sizing is fairly personal too, some like sizing up some like sizing down. My preferred stem length is 50mm which played into the choice, but I could have gone with a L 32mm stem and 160 fork and had similar reach to the M with 150 fork and 50mm stem

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Yea, I could have gone either way probably in the end. Sizing is fairly personal too, some like sizing up some like sizing down. My preferred stem length is 50mm which played into the choice, but I could have gone with a L 32mm stem and 160 fork and had similar reach to the M with 150 fork and 50mm stem
    Really interesting. I"m 5'10.5" with a 34" inseam and the couple different opinions I got (Cavan, someone at Fanatik) both said definite Large. A few weeks in with the bike now and I can't imagine being on a Medium. If anything I wouldn't complain about slightly more reach, not necessary, but would of been fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    And glad you like my videos
    Great videos, James. How are you liking the 46 mm offset fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Has anyone purchased invisiframe protection? Are you happy with the coverage?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Great videos, James. How are you liking the 46 mm offset fork?
    Honestly, I'm not sold that fork offset changes provide a huge enough difference that it's worth actively seeking out a different offset. All the numbers add up together to provide the feel of the bike, and that 1 number isn't enough to drastically change the bike.

I will say the far bigger benefit for me on MRP is being able to run inbetween travel increments. I'm on 155 now, which seems perfect. Since there's more travel to go through at the same spring rate, it's harder to bottom out (I don't like a ton of ramp control), and isn't worlds away from 150. I'm super happy with this setup for me, and I think I've got my Fugitive completely dialed in now

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jdt086 View Post
    It's a massive headache to install, but works great. I'm a bit OCD, so leaving any air bubbles behind really bothered me a lot. It's pricey, and I've opted to not use it in the future due to the install headaches and the cost. I went All Mountain Style this time around, but a roll of 3M Helicopter tape is cheapest and does the job just as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Has anyone yet put on a 44 mm off-set 150 mm fork (aka Fox 36) on his/her Fugitive and not liked it?
    I had a Fox 34 (51 mm off-set) which i planned to (up-)travel to 150 mm but sold it before ever putting it on the bike. Buying new i‘m now free to choose any off-set. Tempted to go 44 mm as it‘s so new school unless anyone tells me not to go that route because ...

Thanks for your input!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jdt086 View Post
    I bought and installed a custom Ride Wrap from www.RideWrap.ca. Great little company out of Whistler that has custom built wraps for the Fugitive in sizes Large and Medium. They work with a number of "certified installer" shops if you want to have it installed which costs $90 (CDN). But they also sell the kits as DIY kits. You do need to have some skills and I guess I'd say you should be somewhat mechanically inclined?? It's not hard... but it does take some time until you get used to working with the material, it can be finicky and you need to have some patience if you want it to look perfect. The good thing is the material is very easy to work with, you use quite a bit of lightly soapy water to install and so the pieces can be shifted easily while installing and/or pulled and re-applied many many times in order to "get it right". The kit includes excellent instructions, alcohol wipes, a micro fiber cloth to help with install as well as a flexible plastic tool to help with application and smoothing out air bubbles. You just need a bike stand, some shop towels, 2 small spray bottles (one for cleaning alcohol and one for lightly soapy water) and a blow dryer.

I did mine over about 3 days... spending about 1 to 2 hours each day working on it. I definitely got better and way faster as the process went along and it looks amazing now, well worth the time spent to get it right. The kit for the Fugitive is well thought out and well covered... it has 26 individual pieces. Also comes with some extra pieces and material if you want to cover more and/or for repairs. I added some pieces to the really exposed parts of the suspension linkage. Their kit doesn't cover the linkage as it's anodized and should be ok without a wrap. It's also a fair bit harder to wrap anodized sections (doesn't stick as well) unless you practice it. The guys at RideWrap are super nice and really keen to chat or message over facebook messenger with any questions you might have.

There were a few times where I'd have spent quite a bit of time on a tough piece, thought I was done and good to move on... then noticed a couple little bubbles. Sometimes I'd think "oh whatever, I'll just leave it". But then I'd stop and think "Just take your time and get right." And I'd remove the piece and start it over. I'd also recommend have a very very well lit area plus a good hand held bright light you can hang and move around the bike. You won't get a really good look at whether or not you have bubbles until you put a bright light closer to the frame and at odd angles. I sort of compare it to doing drywall... not as hard mind you but similar in the way you inspect your work to check for smoothness... if that makes sense to anyone.

I believe they have changed the instructions to reflect my experience but, I very seriously recommend you start with the rear of the bike and with the smaller straighter pieces first, and move forward with the bigger more complicated, more visible pieces last as you gain skill with the material. There are a couple pieces (headtube piece I'm looking at you) that require a bit more skill, time and a realization that more heat is sometimes needed to almost "shrink wrap" the piece to the bike.

Also check out their instagram for more info and images - https://www.instagram.com/ridewrap/

They also have fork kits, but they don't have a kit for the MRP Ribbon yet so I just ordered some generic pieces and cut them to fit, worked great.

Here are some pics of mine, if you look closely you can see a few of edges of the pieces as well as a "in progress pic":

Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_1.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_2.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_3.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_4.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_5.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_6.jpg
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_7.jpg
    Last edited by IslandForLife; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Great pics and info Islandforlife! ! ! I used Heli tape and it's no where near as covered at that...all the best places of course. A few chips here and there after a few rides badges of honor.
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I do notice that at low speeds, it seems I have to be more purposeful while turning the bar. Like I have to really mean it. At higher speeds, it seems nice and calm, which is what I was hoping for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Offering VS Fugitive

Hi!

Does anyone have ridden the EVIL Offering and the fugitive LT and could compare it? I can't decide between both...

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by malvoize View Post
    Hi!

Does anyone have ridden the EVIL Offering and the fugitive LT and could compare it? I can't decide between both...
    I demo'd a Offering and now own a Fugitive. And I ride and race enduros on the west coast of BC in mostly pretty steep gnarly terrain.

I'd say the biggest difference between the two is that the Fugitive in the LT version feels like a much longer travel bike than it is, of course speccing a longer fork helps this and I actually run a 160mm fork, but I'm more talking about the rear end. While I'd say the Evil more feels like the travel it has... if that makes sense?

I'd say the Fugitive has more of a dual personality, while it is perfectly happy cruising along at moderate speeds like an Aggressive Trail bike... the more speed you add, the more it responds and more you get out of this bike. When ridden hard and fast it feels more like an Enduro race machine than the Offering. While the Offering is a great bike, it felt a little more like a "Trail" bike and I felt like I could more easily approach it's limits... or at least compared with the Fugitive, it was a little more of a handful as I added speed through steep rough terrain, where the Knolly would soak it up and track better, with less feeback through the bike. In all other respects the bikes felt actually quite similar... and their geometries are quite close. I'd say they both pedal unexpectedly very well (considering what both brands are known for) with the Fugitive being slightly better as it seems to have a bit more traction in really steep, techy sections.

Another aspect where the Fugitive surprised me was it's speed and ability to maintain momentum... the bike is fast. Trail features seemed to slow it down less and it just seemed easier to keep speed on the Fugitive... I really like how it responds to pumping terrain. These for me are key features when I'm looking at a bike that I'm going to be racing.

A couple other considerations for me were build quality and attention to details... you can tell Knolly has been working on this bike for two years... from the curves and shaping of the tubing (I can't stop touching this bike), detail and robustness of the frame to the 157 rear end to titanium pivots to the large angular contact bearings to the cable routing and removable panel/guard, this is a bike that is future-proofed, very well thought out and will stand the test of time. As for Evil, I'll let you make your own decision with regards to the past issues Evil had with frames and their response to those issues. I can't comment on their current frame quality and/or support.

Last but not least, is something I didn't think I would care about, but has become a very interesting "nice to have". So both bike have adjustable geometry... but with Evil it's not something you want to get into trail-side. It requires removal of 5 bolts and four pieces of the linkage, you then flip two of those pieces, re-install them and then re-install the 5 bolts. On the fugitive, you just unthread one bolt, slide the lower mount of the shock into the other position and thread the bolt back in. I've already done this multiple times trail-side, it takes just a minute, and it's fun to make the adjustment depending on the terrain you're hitting.

Anyway, hope that helps, good luck and happy trails with whichever you choose... at the end of the day, both are amazing bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hi!

I can't speak to how they ride differently, but a friend of mine has an Evil, which he loves, except for the fact that he's constantly talking about how much of a pain the design has been for any kind of service. He has a mystery creak that we're pretty sure is in there but he refuses to take it apart again. A lot of shops don't know how to work on it apparently as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wow great input and comparaison! Thanks!

I live in the french Alps and ride big mountain trails. The fugitive was already slightly ahead, but with that kind of input, there's no more doubts

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Wow great input and comparaison! Thanks!

I live in the french Alps and ride big mountain trails. The fugitive was already slightly ahead, but with that kind of input, there's no more doubts
    Nice, you'll love it! I couldn't be happier with mine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandForLife View Post
    Anyway, hope that helps, good luck and happy trails with whichever you choose... at the end of the day, both are amazing bikes.
    Great write up, IslandForLife. Thanks for taking the time to write that comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys

It's great You share those comparisons.

My short list include Fugitive and also Stumpy EVO.

Has anyone had the same braknstorm and chance to compare both?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Can you give a little more thought to the Fugitive vs Smash? Those two are contenders for my next bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigolclyde View Post
    Can you give a little more thought to the Fugitive vs Smash? Those two are contenders for my next bike.
    GG has revamped their whole line up. The old bikes are no longer available new. You can still buy them used.

https://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gr...l#post13969761
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    GG has revamped their whole line up. The old bikes are no longer available new. You can still buy them used.

https://forums.mtbr.com/guerrilla-gr...l#post13969761
    I'm aware.

edit: that came off more dickish than in my head. Thanks for the info, I'm looking at the old aluminum Smash model.
    Last edited by bigolclyde; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    my bad...

Perpetual Hack
    How do you think a set Onyx in this colour

Fugitive build ideas & plans-onyx-hub-36h-rear-ultra-orange_3.jpg

would look on this?

Fugitive build ideas & plans-p5pb15633665.jpg
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

Robertson
    Quote Originally Posted by bigolclyde View Post
    I haven't gotten much more ride time on the Fug lately to give more ride impressions, but with the GG updates they fixed my biggest complaint about the bike, that I thought it was ugly. The little bit of extra rear travel would be nice too. In the end the difference from my 2018 alu Smash to the 2019 carbon ones will be significant enough that I couldn't offer a true comparison. On the other hand, I'll be selling my Smash in a few weeks if you're interested

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm looking at the aluminum Smash, so that comparison would be relevant for me. I usually buy used, and although the new carbon bikes look nice, I've been lusting after a raw aluminum smash, so for now I'll be looking for an old GG. Size large?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    How do you think a set Onyx in this colour

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	onyx-hub-36h-rear-ultra-orange_3.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	1236027

would look on this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb15633665.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	1236028
    Not as nice as a silver one, or a darker orange to line up with any fox decals that might be involved...

Perpetual Hack
    No Fox, so no orange. Really don't want silver hubs. Far far too many years on Silver in the past - I'll want to leather strap them. Hubs, seatpost collar and stem spacers in orange/gold, everything else in black. Maybe a black with a touch of silver/chrome on the fork decals for the Yarilanche....
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Ok, out on the new Fugitive a number of times now and I feel like I need to pop in one more time to reiterate how sneakily fast this bike is.

Out on a ride yesterday with a friend on trails that I raced an Enduro on last summer. I always track my rides but generally don't pay attention to Strava times as I'm usually stopping and hiking and re-hitting fun sections and such. But yesterday, since I'm still learning the limits of this bike and tweaking suspension settings a bit, I rode one of the Enduro stages without stopping. I definitely wasn't thinking about my time, I was just riding, having fun and riding at what felt like a pretty casual pace... could definitely have been pushing harder for sure.

Anyway... today, just took a look at my Stava ride because my friend forgot to record the ride and asked me to add him to mine... I logged in and saw some gold achievements. Huh, looked a little further... I freaking beat my Enduro race time from last summer on that stage/trail by a second!!

I was like: "What???!!"

So ya... not sure what Knolly did to this bike... but whatever they did, it worked, because it's fast... and easy fast.

Bike notes:
    I'm on the Fugitive LT - DP kit (with a few small mods), the Fox Float DPX2 Factory out back and a 160mm MRP Ribbon Air up front. Tires are Schwalbe Magic Mary 2.35 Super Gravity, Addix Soft out front and Schwalbe Hans Dampf (new version) 2.35 Super Gravity, Addix Soft out back. Still jumping between slack and neutral modes, but this ride was all in neutral.... which paired with the 160mm fork seems to be working well for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've put a few smaller gold accents on my black cherry frame, and its turned out really well. I went down that road after getting the Fox Factory suspension, seeing the Kashima against the frame, and just going for it.

Perpetual Hack
    Cheers!
    Can ya throw up a pic or two?

m
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I put one up in the 27.5+ Fugitive thread.

I've got more, but I hate the pic upload process that MTBR is using these days. (Seriously, why isn't it as easy as uploads in Gmail or Craigslist?) I start the process, get annoyed at the interface, and go do something else, thereby keeping my bike's Supreme Pan-Dimensional Sexy-ness from a deserving public.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just realized that I complain in that thread about uploading pics. I seem like the crusty old man I feel like after not using this site for 10 years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    No Fox, so no orange. Really don't want silver hubs. Far far too many years on Silver in the past - I'll want to leather strap them. Hubs, seatpost collar and stem spacers in orange/gold, everything else in black. Maybe a black with a touch of silver/chrome on the fork decals for the Yarilanche....
    If I went with the Black Cherry, I would’ve gone with green hubs. Green pops against purple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

Perpetual Hack
    Still have not pulled the trigger, I really really like that golden orange, but was also thinking AntiFreeze green, but that gets harder to match with the seat-collar and stem spacers. I only want a couple of colour pops, Hell I may still go Raw/Orange with Orange hubs etc, but i keep thinking too much orange and my eye keeps going to BlackCherry....
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ok, out on the new Fugitive a number of times now and I feel like I need to pop in one more time to reiterate how sneakily fast this bike is.
    Thanks for the ride and set up reports!

mtbr member

Black Cherry

I have the Black Cherry for a DEMO...What an incredible looking rig. The linkage has become quite the piece of art. Still have the Podium and riding it a lot. The color on this Black Cherry really pops in the sun. Curious how this pedals compared to the Chilcotin that I rode hard for 4 years and how it compares to the Canfield Riot that I have now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas & plans-fugitive-1.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas & plans-fugitive-2.jpg  

Braaap
    Fugitive build ideas & plans-p4pb16830267.jpg
    Onyx "Merlot" hubs headed for a Black Cherry Fugitive frame.

What about gold hubs and some gold decals to cover the silver? If you go with Onyx, you want their "brassy gold" powder coat. Their gold anodize looks incredibly dull and faded.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would be very interested to hear how the fugitive compares to the riot

Perpetual Hack
    Was talking to Dan at Onyx.

Lightweight hub due out in April.
    157mm will NOT be available in the initial release.
    Was not given an ETA on 157.

<Edit> No ETA for 157 at this time.

Dropbox link for Updated Onyx Hub Colours

/

Also wanted to know if this

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-onyx-hub-36h-rear-ultra-orange_3.jpg

was a newer Gold or Orange; depending upon picture, it could be both. It does not look like either the orange or the gold shown on the website.

According to Dan that is Anno Gold, but based on the Dropbox shots, it looks closer to Orange....

If you want a more traditional gold - then he has the brassy gold which is a powder-coat..

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-brassy-gold.jpg
    Last edited by mykel; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:26 PM. Reason: Updates
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Guys! Help!

Anybody having any off the Canfiled Riot to Knolly Fugitive experience?
    I am riding large Riot – and it is a perfect fit for me. From the numbers – it would be closer medium rather than large.
    I really would like not to screw my position up – and I am afraid that getting more stretched on large combined with lower headtube would be no go for my backs…

Riot(large): reach-457, stack-630 mm seat angle-77 BB height-350mm WB-1173 HA-66.5 ett-599mm st-483
    Fugitive(medium): reach-450, stack-612 mm seat angle-76 BB height-339mm WB-1188 HA-66.0 ett-606mm st-400

I’m 181cm. Any thoughts / experiences are very welcome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by maciejas View Post
    Guys! Help!

I am riding large Riot – and it is a perfect fit for me. From the numbers – it would be closer medium rather than large.
    I really would like not to screw my position up – and I am afraid that getting more stretched on large combined with lower headtube would be no go for my backs…

Riot(large): reach-457, stack-630 mm seat angle-77 BB height-350mm WB-1173 HA-66.5 ett-599mm st-483
    Fugitive(medium): reach-450, stack-612 mm seat angle-76 BB height-339mm WB-1188 HA-66.0 ett-606mm st-400

Just a word of caution I sized my Endo based on the geo chart Knolly published and had to sell the frame and buy the next size up. At least with the Endo the Eff TT measurement was off by 1" based on how I expected it to be measured vs. how Knolly came up with the number. That translated into a full size difference.

The folks at Knolly HQ are pretty helpful so I would call or email them with your question.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Guys! Help!

If you plan on having your hands the same height as they are now on the Riot you're going to loose Reach and ETT. If so you may want to slam the seat forward on a large for similar fit

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yeah - the stack is lower on Fugtive - so that I will need to compensate it in some way.
    Perhaps I will get in touch with Knolly. No chances to test-ride it, unfortunately.

But keep commenting - if you're on medium or have been on Riot

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. Yeah - the stack is lower on Fugtive - so that I will need to compensate it in some way.
    Perhaps I will get in touch with Knolly. No chances to test-ride it, unfortunately.

But keep commenting - if you're on medium or have been on Riot
    Large Riot - Large Fugitive...Been on both.

It's a perfect transition. Yes, the reach is a bit longer but it doesn't "feel" like a bigger bike. It's a very comfortable position. The bike pedals very well with insane traction. A Beast and a Scalpel is the best way to describe the Fugitive. The front end stays planted on the steepest climbs. It's a FUN bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-knolly-1.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-knolly-2.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-knolly-3.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-knolly-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Nice pics!!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    Large Riot - Large Fugitive...Been on both.
    Thank you sir! I'll go your path!
    So then a question remains - 150mm or 160mm

Wysłane z mojego Nokia 7 plus przy użyciu Tapatalka

mtbr member

I’ve got a 160 on right now, been running it almost solely in the neutral setting and it’s been great. Really, no reason for me to put it in slack or shorten the travel (I do have a 150 airshaft ready to go). Sometimes I’m tempted to go the 150 route because I don’t “need” 160, but two things keep me from doing it: 1) 160 up front hasn’t presented any negatives on the trail, so 150 would have to improve on great 2) if I go 150, I might want to balance it out in the low setting, but then I run into that very low bb height with 175mm cranks on rocky terrain. So, I’ll stick with what’s working for now and probably drop in the 150 for some experimentation come Spring (garage is under construction, so doing that simple work is a pain right now).

"So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Have had similar thinking to yours, thanks. I also got used to 175 cranks and would prefer not to make it shorter.

What stem length do to use and how you feel the steering? Any wheel flop effect?

I do like neutral (relatively) steering at my current bike...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Have had similar thinking to yours, thanks. I also got used to 175 cranks and would prefer not to make it shorter.

What stem length do to use and how you feel the steering? Any wheel flop effect?

Knolly spec's a 40mm stem on this, FYI.
    On the wheel flop - I'd think fork offset plays a large part in this - the shorter the offset, the more potential for flop.

mtbr member
    May 2015

I've ridden 150 in neutral and slack as well as 160 in steep, haven't tried slack quite yet.

150 neutral is really fun and I could really get the bike around corners so easily. It felt pretty playful and climbing was a breeze. No issues really with pedal strikes or the BB being too low (I have 170 cranks though).
    150 slack I definitely felt a little more difficulty with corners. I definitely started to run into more issues due to the BB being lower, but the bike just gobbled stuff up a bit more

160 neutral feels very good to me. It's got a similar HT angle as 150 slack with a higher BB. I really like how the bike feels in this configuration, and I think for me and my riding this is where I'll land. Its still pretty playful but seems to eat everything up.

I'll try 160 slack, but it may go too far away from where I want it. Seat tube not in the right place, wheelbase too long, and head angle too slack for my liking. We'll see though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Been on a 160 (51 offset) fork in slack exclusively with 170 cranks, 50mm stem = zero issues both up and down.

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-img_20181230_124453.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm on a size large, running a 160mm MRP Ribbon Air (44mm offset) with the 40mm stem and have been playing with slack and neutral modes on almost every ride so far. I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the new neutral mode with a 160 fork is perfect. HA = 65.5, SA = 75.5, WB = 1222, BBH = 342, and shortens reach a little to 472 (from 477) while increasing stack a little to 620 (from 616.5).

And thinking I'll save the now "extra slack" mode for more gravity focused and race days: HA = 64.8, SA = 75.25, WB = 1222, BBH = 332 (reach and stack same as above figures).
    Last edited by IslandForLife; 1 Week Ago at 12:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I've been riding it with 150mm in slack and really like it, I really like the low BB but I run 170 cranks. I'm also used to the lower BB height of the Warden C.

I thought about going to 160 but haven't felt the need so far. Maybe in the summer when bike park season starts i'll give it try.

mtbr member

I’m running a 35mm stem and standard offset fork (51mm). I don’t experience any wheel flop to speak of, but I will likely experiment with a 50mm stem to see how that feels. In the meantime, I’ve been running my brake levers angled a bit more downward than normal (I usually run them quite flat) just to encourage myself to get a little more forward and over the bars. So far, so good.

mtbr member
    Thank you all - this is really valuable!

So it seems 160@neutral setting is the one to start from.
    I will also start with 35mm stem and then extend if I need to calm the steering down a bit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've ridden 150 in neutral and slack as well as 160 in steep, haven't tried slack quite yet.

150 neutral is really fun and I could really get the bike around corners so easily. It felt pretty playful and climbing was a breeze. No issues really with pedal strikes or the BB being too low (I have 170 cranks though).
    150 slack I definitely felt a little more difficulty with corners. I definitely started to run into more issues due to the BB being lower, but the bike just gobbled stuff up a bit more

160 neutral feels very good to me. It's got a similar HT angle as 150 slack with a higher BB. I really like how the bike feels in this configuration, and I think for me and my riding this is where I'll land. Its still pretty playful but seems to eat everything up.

I'll try 160 slack, but it may go too far away from where I want it. Seat tube not in the right place, wheelbase too long, and head angle too slack for my liking. We'll see though!
    Just a note that with a 160mm fork, between the slack and neutral mode the wheelbase stays the same - 1222mm (up from 1218 with the 150mm fork). The wheelbase doesn't change when changing modes, just when changing fork lengths. But yes the HA in slack with the 160mm fork is pretty slack at 64.8 and the SA isn't too bad though at 74.5.

I currently prefer the neutral mode with the 160mm fork for all round riding, but that 64.8 degree HA is pretty fun for more gravity focused days!
    Last edited by IslandForLife; 1 Week Ago at 01:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone found 157 rear hub with Center Lock rotor mount?
    I like a lot this solution but also like to biuld LT from scratch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Placek View Post
    DT maybe? I'd just get a 148 and an adapter though.

mtbr member
    Good to hear others feedback on the 150/160/slack/neutral settings. I have played with Fox 36 fit4 150mm 51 offset in both modes. For steep tight terrain I do like the steep setting. It climbs just a bit better with the steeper seat angle and has a similar effect on tight corners.

Overall I like the slack mode the best, even with 175mm cranks. The slacker seat angle is more comfortable and I really like how it handles high speed corners. Easier to manual in slack mode too.

It might be interesting to try a 160mm Grip2 and a coil in slack mode for the really nasty stuff. I would be willing to bet I would not be interested in anything with more travel for that type of riding.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    DT maybe? I'd just get a 148 and an adapter though.
    My undersranding is that whole idea is to have actual 157 hub to provide max stiffness (for someone building new wheel).

Secondly DT's (as far as i saw on web) build is straight comparing to ex I9 which looks fat in middle (giving additional stiffness) - but those are my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Check out Sram X.0 157 mm hubs. They have a wide (optimized) flange spacing, good engagement and are cheaper than most botique brands ...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuzi View Post
    Check out Sram X.0 157 mm hubs. They have a wide (optimized) flange spacing, good engagement and are cheaper than most botique brands ...

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    Seems like Sram is also 6bolt.
    Have You seen any 157 hub with CL rotor mount?

mtbr member
    May 2015
    https://onyxrp.com/store/mtb-hubs/mt...157-12mm-thru/

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...nter-lock-disc#

check my PM on ET forum

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I find myself in this exact same situation, though I'm on a 650bx2.8" tire in the rear. I've been whacking cranks more since getting this bike (off of a '14 SBC Enduro 29er), so I definitely don't want the BB to get lower, at least not until the weather clears and I actually have a chance to get used to the new bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, I built with a DT SB hub. I think I found it on Universal Cycles or Worldwide or some such back in November. I googled "157mm super boost hub" and went through the options. The only thing: it was available in 28h straight pull ONLY. This wasn't a problem for me, since I built the wheels myself and used a carbon rim (I think 28h is the right spoke count for carbon rims, as I played with 32h a few years ago and found them too stiff. Maybe the newer rims are better?) It was centerlock. I think this might also dail back some of the stiffness of the SB rear end. Again, I went with a LightBicycle carbon rim to counteract that and to offset the weight of a 45mm internal width and ridiculous tires.

It was also pretty cheap for a DT, as I recall. Came with the lowest tooth count star ratchet. It went on my experimental plus wheelset, and I have a set of 32h Kings waiting for me to build the standard 29" wheelset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep. I bought that and switched out the ratchet and driver body. So far so good, though I can't get enough miles in!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Torned between the fork options.
    190lbs geared and riding gleud to the ground.
    My radar identified FOX36 but also MRP Ribbon Coil...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hard to go wrong with those two. I've run the MRP Ribbon Coil for about a year and a half and have really liked it - 225# and the biggest difference relative to the air-sprung lyrik was support in the mid-stroke, especially when riding steeps and repetitive hits. After some additional feedback, I spec'd a CC Helm on this build to see how I like it in the air config, as I can always go coil later.

mtbr member
    DVO Diamond , Fox 36 Grip2 or Cane Creek Helm coil

Braaap
    "Glued to the ground" means coil IMO, but the 36 GRIP2 is no slouch when it comes to small bump. You really can't go wrong. The Ribbon is the most inexpensive option at my shop.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles
    Providing unrivaled support and unbeatable pricing on all cycling goods to riders near and far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You sey it's hard to go wrong with either.
    Still those are different forks (i think)
    F36 Grip2 more agressive oriented and Mrp coil small bump oriented but not hardcore weapon.
    Sharing my thoughts ,wondering Your opinion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    You sey it's hard to go wrong with either.
    Still those are different forks (i think)
    F36 Grip2 more agressive oriented and Mrp coil small bump oriented but not hardcore weapon.
    Sharing my thoughts ,wondering Your opinion.
    I think marketing plays it's role here... MRP can definitely play with the big boys and best them as a hardcore weapon. Running the Ribbon Air and feel it handles bashing through the steep hardcore gnar at high speeds just as well as any 36, but I like it better than a 36 everywhere else. Bonus = it's lighter.

Braaap
    IMO, the 36 Grip2 and MRP ride very differently. The MRP has a plush ride in both small chatter as well as big chunk. Full travel use is easy to dial in. On the other hand, the Fox is firm yet controlled. I find it difficult to make use of full travel even with zero air tokens installed. I've had a Ribbon (Air and Coil) on my bike for the majority of the past 2 years.
    Dirt Merchant Bicycles

Yebo Numzaan

Demos

Thanks to Knolly....I got two demo Fugitives in my garage. Seattle (Snoqualmie) area. Hit me up offline if you want to hook up for a ride and we can try make a plan.

I have only ridden the ST version of this bike in S UT nearly a year ago...I would love to be able to shred it on some of my favorite trails closer to home...which was the goal...

Unfortunately...the white stuff is going to spoil the fun. I have the bikes for about three weeks. M and a L.

Send me a PM if interested

Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-2019-02-21-14.12.56-small-.jpg
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtMerchantBicycles View Post
    IMO, the 36 Grip2 and MRP ride very differently. The MRP has a plush ride in both small chatter as well as big chunk. Full travel use is easy to dial in. On the other hand, the Fox is firm yet controlled. I find it difficult to make use of full travel even with zero air tokens installed. I've had a Ribbon (Air and Coil) on my bike for the majority of the past 2 years.
    Interesting take... and I had a similar problem with using full travel on the 36. Part of the reason I like the Ribbon Air a little more. Of course both are awesome forks.. I've just found that on the ribbon air, with the independently adjustable negative and positive chambers as well as ramp control, I can get it to feel pretty much exactly like a Grip2 by actually going a tad higher than the positive in the negative chamber and ramping up the ramp control = great for flowy bermy days, tons of support and only use close to full travel on emergency hits. But, I can then run the opposite (higher air pressure in the negative than the positive and dial back the ramp control and now I've got a fork that is super plush and very small bump responsive while at the same time I can dial in the support I need with the Ramp Control. I just felt the 36 was very single minded (great enduro race fork) while the Ribbon Air can be all things depending on how I set it up.... enduro race fork one day and chill all mountain cruise fork the next.

Then you throw in the support based out of Colorado that MRP has... being able to pick up a phone a chat with an engineer within 30 seconds is awesome. Plus their online store with parts is great.

Again, either way, the forks we have to choose from these days are pretty amazing!!
    Last edited by IslandForLife; 17 Hours Ago at 10:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Interesting take... and I had a similar problem with using full travel on the 36. Part of the reason I like the Ribbon a little more. Of course both are awesome forks.. I've just found that on the ribbon, with the independently adjustable negative and positive chambers as well as ramp control, I can get it to feel pretty much exactly like a Grip2 by actually going a tad higher than the positive in the negative chamber and ramping up the ramp control = great for flowy bermy days, tons of support and only use close to full travel on emergency hits. But, I can then run the opposite (higher air pressure in the negative than the positive and dial back the ramp control and now I've got a fork that is super plush and very small bump responsive while at the same time I can dial in the support I need with the Ramp Control. I just felt the 36 was very single minded (great enduro race fork) while the Ribbon can be all things depending on how I set it up.... enduro race fork one day and chill all mountain cruise fork the next.

Then you throw in the support based out of Colorado that MRP has... being able to pick up a phone a chat with an engineer within 30 seconds is awesome. Plus their online store with parts is great.

Again, either way, the forks we have to choose from these days are pretty amazing!!
    Lets be specific.Do you refer to Air o Coil version?
    Has anyone run the MRP also on the back and can share thoughts?(thinking if full MRP setup could be more efficient)

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Has anyone run the MRP also on the back and can share thoughts?(thinking if full MRP setup could be more efficient)
    Air... you can't adjust positive and negative air chambers on the coil... ;-) haha, but will edit just to ensure clarity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mayha View Post
    It's a FUN bike!
    dude, I want to ride there. Where were those photos taken?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I run the coil front and love and my plan was going with a hazzard in the back, but they don't make it in the fugitive shock size and don't plan to in the forseable future

mtbr member
    Just curious, but why the need for Center Lock?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567