Fugitive build ideas & plans - Page 6- Mtbr.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 1,001 to 1,043 of 1043
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sslos View Post
    I hope you don't mind the nitpicking, but I'd recommend that instead of considering spending the money upgrading to AXS that instead you think about more powerful brakes.

The XT 4 piston brakes feel pretty darned nice, and the Codes have a great feel at the lever along with plenty of power. Haven't tried any of the modern Magura 4 pistons, but hear good things.

Also, I'm getting super anxious for my Fugitive!
    Totally meant 4 piston! Went to those last summer and love them.

The frame was $600 less than I budgeted and I can get the axs upgrade at a killer price, which is the only reason Iím even contemplating it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandForLife View Post
    Spent a year racing the Island Cup Enduro series (9 races through the season) on it and loved it! Never felt like I was missing anything. I ran it will a 160mm fork and 2.5 and 2.4 tires and kicked ass. Generally kept in slack for racing (HA = 64.8 degrees with 160mm fork).

Here's a video of VanCan riding/testing it in Whistler (and he's on the 150 fork with 2.3 tires) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFaI6Gzu4OY

FYI - his sketchy riding and frequent yelps of fear happen just as often on his DH bike so don't attribute it to the Fugitive, haha!
    Awesome! Thanks for the update, much appreciated. I've ordered a Privateer 161 but concerned it's going to be too much bike for 90% of what i do.

I've done a handful of enduros, raced Trans Cascadia and just did BC Bike Race last year so am coming from more of a 'downcountry' slant, wondering if a 140ish bike may be better.

I also hit Whistler every year, hit up Mystic - Squirrel and Dark Crystal so def earn my turns a bit more than park....but since I'm planning on the EWS100 I don't want to be massively underbiked.

Honestly, I've read nothing but good things about the Knolly....chatted to the guys there once and they were great.

Regarding the 160mm fork.....do you think it would be massively overkill if I went with something like a Trust Shout for the bigger days?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    I can't speak to the Privateer 161, but I live in Whistler and ride a Fugitive and don't find the bike to be the limiting factor on any of the trails around here (Including everything in the EWS course, though I did not race it). I only ride the park about once a year, but did that one day on the Fugitive and rode everything from Goats Gulley to Dirt Merchant to Ride Don't Slide and the bike can take it all. I think the main difference between the Fugitive vs a 160mm bike would be fatigue on longer runs/days and it won't be quite as forgiving as something with more travel if you make mistakes. Also if you are into bigger hucks to poor landings having a bit more travel would probably be nice...but for the rest of the time I never felt under-biked on the Fugitive.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coachfillip View Post
    I can't speak to the Privateer 161, but I live in Whistler and ride a Fugitive and don't find the bike to be the limiting factor on any of the trails around here (Including everything in the EWS course, though I did not race it). I only ride the park about once a year, but did that one day on the Fugitive and rode everything from Goats Gulley to Dirt Merchant to Ride Don't Slide and the bike can take it all. I think the main difference between the Fugitive vs a 160mm bike would be fatigue on longer runs/days and it won't be quite as forgiving as something with more travel if you make mistakes. Also if you are into bigger hucks to poor landings having a bit more travel would probably be nice...but for the rest of the time I never felt under-biked on the Fugitive.
    The fugitive sure sounds like a capable bike. Are you running a 160 mm fork? I just finished building mine up. It's going to be interesting seeing how it rides compared to the Warden.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    What bike did you ride on the bcbr? I am planning to ride my fugitive in ST mode with lighter tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Yep, 160mm fork. I have a 150 on now and it is great for anything not steep and chunky, but I often find myself in steep, chunky terrain so will go back to the 160 sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    What bike did you ride on the bcbr? I am planning to ride my fugitive in ST mode with lighter tires.
    I rode a Tallboy 3 w/120mm fork, worked good. I'd think twice before I'd go too light on the tires, while you don't want DH tires, steer clear of the lightweight XC stuff. With that said, I was chatting to Felix (the dude who won) and he was running lighter maxxis XC tires w/inserts. I was probably a bit over-tired, but would recommend something like a SS or EXO casing w/insert in the back, depending on weight, and drop the pressure a bit.

Based on what I've read the Fugitive will do excellent....I'd make sure it has a lockout (for the big gravel climbs...there were plenty) and it's at a bit of a weight disadvantage, but besides that, it's tailor made for that race.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Cool - great info coach. I rode most of Whistler on my Tallboy 3 a couple years ago, which was sub-optimal, then last year on my Transition Sentinel....so headed in the right direction, but still didn't feel like it quite hit the mark.

I assume you are on a Fugitive LT? What is your build?

Do you stick more to the Valley trail / Blackomb stuff?

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Yep, riding the LT shock - X2. 36 fork, Code brakes, Spank wheels, generally either Magic Mary 2.35 or Minion 2.5.

I end up on the west side trails quite a bit - High Society, Legalize It, Cheap Thrills, Bush Doctor, Rockwork Orange/Wizard Burial Ground etc. and have an occasional jaunt up Blackcomb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Yep, riding the LT shock - X2. 36 fork, Code brakes, Spank wheels, generally either Magic Mary 2.35 or Minion 2.5.

I end up on the west side trails quite a bit - High Society, Legalize It, Cheap Thrills, Bush Doctor, Rockwork Orange/Wizard Burial Ground etc. and have an occasional jaunt up Blackcomb.
    Not to derail this thread....but Magic Mary's hold up well in Whistler? Ive transitioned from Maxxis EXO+ / DD to the Magic Mary SG....

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RadBartTaylor View Post
    Not to derail this thread....but Magic Mary's hold up well in Whistler? Ive transitioned from Maxxis EXO+ / DD to the Magic Mary SG....
    I have no complaints about the Magic Mary. I only ran it front, had a variety of rear tires, but it seemed to last quite a while and grip was great. I now have Minions which I hadn't ridden in a long time (since before wide rims were a thing) and I have to admit that I find the 2.5 WT DHF to have slightly better traction and predictability on wet roots and woodwork, not that the Mary was lacking, but the Minion seems to be able to hold a better line in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Has anyone used Ride Wrap or invisiframe on their Raw frames? Did you use Matte or Gloss? Would appreciate feedback and pics. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GIFFMANN View Post
    Has anyone used Ride Wrap or invisiframe on their Raw frames? Did you use Matte or Gloss? Would appreciate feedback and pics. Thanks!
    I used ride wrap glossy on my raw frame. I don't think it's really necessary, but I am happy with the results.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas & plans-20200102_152744_resized_1.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas & plans-20200102_152808_resized_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    I am so jealous of that frame. I love my orange and raw bike but man that looms sweet! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hispanic mechanic
    I'm planning to use 3M helicopter tape to protect my Burke Mtn decals...
    Support your local trail organization.

www.swimba.org

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Those of you on coil shocks, what's your spring rate and body weight? (w/ or w/o gear) The calcs are giving me quite the range.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    95kg, 500lbs spring (fox sls)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    95kg, 500lbs spring (fox sls)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Interesting, this may be confirming what I thought. One of the calcs had my 75kg on a 450, which seemed high and it puts your 95kg at 560 which is also way over what you're running.

Anyone else?

mtbr member
    165 lbs 400# SLS

sunday
    Quote Originally Posted by kiotae View Post
    Interesting, this may be confirming what I thought. One of the calcs had my 75kg on a 450, which seemed high and it puts your 95kg at 560 which is also way over what you're running.

Anyone else?
    200lbs, running a 450 on an Avalanche'd Marzocchi CR. Going to try a 400 in the spring.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks, that settles it, I'll go 400. Seems much more likely to be correct. Ultimately I'd like to pick up a Sprindex, but can't justify nearly 3x the price initially.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'm 205 and running a 550 spring on my cane creek which is exactly what push suggested for me when I placed my 11/6 order before Xmas.

mtbr member

Cane creek

Has anyone had issues with their CC shock ? I went out and found my shock compressed I guess you would call it ? Fugitive build ideas & plans-928669f6-10c5-499f-87ea-5dc112381545.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    Has anyone had issues with their CC shock ? I went out and found my shock compressed I guess you would call it ?
    I blew mine after about 2.5 months riding this summer. Looked similar to yours but with oil leaking all around the seal. Took it for a rebuild (covered by warranty) and they said the shaft was quite worn and surprised at how new the shock was. Talked to Knolly and CC about it and it sounds like some of the Trunnion DBAs might have issues. If you have a good CC service center nearby (I used Vorsprung), get it in for a service especially if you are within warranty, otherwise give CC a call, they were very helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    One of the coolest, weirdest looking, and effective changes Iíve made to the Fugitive to date; Syncros Hixon IC rise 1.0 handlebar/stem combo.
    I think that looks super clean and aesthetically sharp to my eye. Not what we're used to seeing but clean, nonetheless. Certainly not for someone who changes stem lengths and bar roll all the time. But if it fits, I think it's money.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    I blew mine after about 2.5 months riding this summer. Looked similar to yours but with oil leaking all around the seal. Took it for a rebuild (covered by warranty) and they said the shaft was quite worn and surprised at how new the shock was. Talked to Knolly and CC about it and it sounds like some of the Trunnion DBAs might have issues. If you have a good CC service center nearby (I used Vorsprung), get it in for a service especially if you are within warranty, otherwise give CC a call, they were very helpful.
    Only about 60 miles on this one. less than a year old. Hopefully a warranty issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks KRob. Still really happy with the Hixon overall.

Chromag - I blew out my cane creek prematurely as well. Probably 6 months. Mine is the DB coil though. No physical damage. Just blew the seal. Not sure how or why. I do ride with the climb switch on quite a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Thanks KRob. Still really happy with the Hixon overall.

Chromag - I blew out my cane creek prematurely as well. Probably 6 months. Mine is the DB coil though. No physical damage. Just blew the seal. Not sure how or why. I do ride with the climb switch on quite a bit.
    I talked with Will at CC and he says it looks like a bad seal in the neg. air chamber . Should be covered under warranty.

mtbr member
    Has anyone had issues with their CC shock ? I went out and found my shock compressed I guess you would call it ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	928669F6-10C5-499F-87EA-5DC112381545.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	1306485
    I have not had any issues like that ^^ with the 3 CC shocks we've had on our Knollys, but a guy I was riding with at Christmas went through 2 or 3 CC shocks [non-Knolly bike] that ended up "sucked down" after a few rides each eventually CC replaced the shock with a coil version and he hasn't had any issues since.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I have not had any issues like that ^^ with the 3 CC shocks we've had on our Knollys, but a guy I was riding with at Christmas went through 2 or 3 CC shocks [non-Knolly bike] that ended up "sucked down" after a few rides each eventually CC replaced the shock with a coil version and he hasn't had any issues since.
    Also my 3rd Knolly with CC shock and this is my 1st issue. Iíd be up for a coil swap .

mtbr member
    Has anyone had issues with their CC shock ? I went out and found my shock compressed I guess you would call it ? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	928669F6-10C5-499F-87EA-5DC112381545.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	240.8 KB 
ID:	1306485
    I had similar issue with CC DBA on my Bronson. It happened every winter when temperatures dropped below zero Celsius degrees.
    I solve it by buying rigid gravel bike for winter rides

mtbr member
    I used ride wrap glossy on my raw frame. I don't think it's really necessary, but I am happy with the results.
    Is that the 2020 Raw, or some special edition?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye View Post
    Is that the 2020 Raw, or some special edition?

It is the "Builders" Edition. Raw with different graphics. Limited number produced. Portion of the bike purchase will go to TORCA (Tri-Cities Offroad Cycling Association).

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/knolly...ociations.html

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Deleted

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye View Post
    Nice looking frame
    Thanks! I always liked the raw frames, and this one is pretty unique. It feels good to help support the trail association too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by the cracker View Post
    I am so jealous of that frame. I love my orange and raw bike but man that looms sweet! Enjoy.

The raw/orange is one of the nicest looking fugitives imo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    The raw/orange is one of the nicest looking fugitives imo.
    That's the one I have, but I've been thinking of removing the orange paint. I never loved it.

mtbr member
    New black Ano is the best color . Carbon would be even better . lol

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    That's the one I have, but I've been thinking of removing the orange paint. I never loved it.
    I bought black vinyl to cover all the orange but havenít done it yet. I dont want it to look bad. I have a green dvo on the bike now it is pretty loud.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    New black Ano is the best color . Carbon would be even better . lol
    The dune buggy blue is stunning.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hi,
    how will change the HT and SA degrees value using a 160mm fork (i dont think the offset value will be significan in this calculation, isn't it??? )
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pescecane View Post
    hi,
    how will change the HT and SA degrees value using a 160mm fork (i dont think the offset value will be significan in this calculation, isn't it??? )
    thanks
    10mm @ fork = .5* head angle.

after sag, you're talking 7mm change. Not huge BUUUUUT this bike rides great at 150mm (to the extent that I just bought a new fork and didn't buy a 160).

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456