Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizarro View Post
    Question.. maybe a far out question but is anyone taping the crap out of the frame here? Or just the essential parts like the downtube..toptube...chaninstays..etc...

My blue is just too pretty dangit.
    If I had blue it would be taped extensively.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Question.. maybe a far out question but is anyone taping the crap out of the frame here? Or just the essential parts like the downtube..toptube...chaninstays..etc...

My blue is just too pretty dangit.
    OMG yes, I sent my black cherry to ride wrap for a pro job.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If I had a painted frame I'd tape it before building it, but I want a raw just so that I don't have to worry about damaging a paint job.

mtbr member

Fugitive build ideas & plans

I know there have been a lot of questions about chainline. I built my Fugitive up with Hope cranks and a Hope direct mount chainring with boost offset. Mounted standard (I.e., not flipped) the chainline is perfect.

Edit: added pic

Last edited by inonjoey; 10-08-2018 at 07:37 PM.
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    Got er built after work yesterday and have a couple comments. The internal brake and shifter routing is very long. Not hard to do compared to lots of other bikes though. I have my 36 set at 160mm and when in the slack setting it felt like it would be a bit much on most of my local trails. I put it in the steeper mode, slammed my stem and it felt pretty good. I have to tune the shock a bit more, but it climbed well, peddled amazing through chunk, and descended quite buttery. Cornering was intuitive and this is a very fast bike. I'm 5'9" on a large with plenty of room for my 160mm Revive. I have a 35mm stem and a 20mm riser bar and it does not feel big at all.

Travis, what bottle and cage combo are you running? Mine looks a lot more cramped on a large frame with similar size bottle...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "So you think it's the hat?... A lot of people hate this hat. It angers a lot of people, just the sight of it." - Uncle Buck

mtbr member
    Is the orange under the downtube painted? Are you raw finish guys taping that?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I taped the orange paint on the down tube of my raw.

I have a Blackburn cage and a 710ml Camelback Podium bottle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How are the early owners liking their Fugitives after a few rides? Stoked? Buyers remorse?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gage Fu View Post
    How are the early owners liking their Fugitives after a few rides? Stoked? Buyers remorse?
    Yes, bring on the ride reports!

mtbr member
    I've only had mine out for one "real" ride, about 3,000ft of vertical at Napa Skyline. I had both Shockwiz mounted and stopped after every good descent and fiddled with the knobs and what not when necessary. So, I'll know a lot more in the next few weeks. That said, got some good chunky climbs and descents.

First impressions suspension wise are that it pedals much more efficiently than I thought it would on smoother sections. On chunky climbs, its ability to get up and over square edges, of which there are plenty at Skyline, is impressive and I now officially have no excuses on tech climbs (not that the Jeffsy or Burner were holding me back). Descending felt very good, especially for this being my first ride of any real length on the bike. It'll be fun to get a bit more comfortable and push it more.

I definitely have some work to do on the fork setup, but I'll be tackling that this week.

As for the geometry and fit of the bike, I'm happy. I definitely need to cut the bars down a bit (there at 787mm) right now, but I had absolutely no problems with weight distribution and/or getting the front and rear end around on switchbacks while climbing. When it came time for the descents, I was able to rail some corners pretty hard for my first ride, although I did overshoot a couple (let's chalk that up to user error). Seems like the stack is just about right for me with 15mm riser bars and a 1cm spacer.

So, one ride. Take it as what it is. But, positive first impression.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is anyone here using an ISCG chaing guide? any issues with the chain line?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I just finished my second ride and learned that this bike is fast, up and down. It pedalled very well climbing some rooty single track, both seated and standing. On one of my favourite little descents it was deceptively fast, especially in the corners. More testing tonight.

I made a few post ride changes. I slid my saddle forward all the way to compensate for the sag. I have been on a HT since February and am not used to the rear end sagging. I swapped my 20mm rise bar for a 10mm rise that was sitting in the garage. The fork is still set at 160mm and felt pretty good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the ride reports!

mtbr member
    Travis reminded me: the bike feels great on my regular trails in the steep/neutral setting with the Fox 36 set at 160 up front. In fact, it feels so good that I doubt Iíll ever get around to dropping it to 150.

I may take the 10mm spacer out from under my stem the next few rides and see how that goes. Regardless, Iíll probably keep 10-15mm of spacers up top to have some adjustability down the road.

The Shockwiz units have been pretty cool and helped me get to a spot where both front and rear feel good much quicker than normal. Actually, my ďby feelĒ setup for the rear was pretty good from the get go, but it took me several iterations of adjusting and re adjusting the Fox 36 up front to get it to a place that matches up well with the rear end.

So excited to get this bike on some bigger rides. Luckily, Iíve got another kid on the way at the end of November, which means a month out of work (and my wife will absolutely be kicking me out if the house by day 2 or 3). Seriously.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ntinos P View Post
    A sram x-sync chainring with 3mm offset, if I flip it, shall I have the proper chainline ?
    Do not flip the Sram X-sync chainring, these are not designed to be flipped. The Race Face cranks/ rings are different and you can flip this ring to have an acceptable chainline.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by skinnies View Post
    Do not flip the Sram X-sync chainring, these are not designed to be flipped. The Race Face cranks/ rings are different and you can flip this ring to have an acceptable chainline.
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    I got a PM regarding setup details for the Hope cranks on the Fugitive, so thought Iíd share details with everyone. Iím running the cranks with the Hope bottom bracket and one spacer on the non drive side, 2 on the drive side. Hope direct mount chainring in standard (non flipped) orientation. Chainline seems perfect.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pedrosalas7 View Post
    Is anyone here using an ISCG chaing guide? any issues with the chain line?
    i tried to install the oneup chainguide/taco guard on my gf fugitive with RF aeffect cranks and the chainguide portion when adjusted out hit the crank arm, so cant use it, still have the taco guard installed tho.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Over the weekend I took the Fugitive to 2 very different trail networks, one smooth and fast, the other steep and chunky.

I'm 5'9" on a large with a 160mm fork, 10mm rise bar, and a slammed 35mm stem. I think I'll try a flat bar or drop the fork to 150. There is no way I will ever go back to a shorter bike because the long reach and steep STA feel so good.

On the smooth, fast trails this bike was very fast, especially on the pedaly sections. It pedals better than my Endorphin did and I would have no qualms taking it on a long ride anywhere. Seated or standing, flat or climbing it pedals very well. The cornering felt natural, not quite as quick as the Endorphin, but not too far off.

On the steeper trails it was very confidence inspiring. It's a cliche, but the Fugitive really does feel like more than 135mm in the rear. Chunder was obliterated by the 36 and X2, and the long (for me) bike with 35mm stem made steeps less so. We had a long gravel climb to access the trails and it handled this at least as well as my hard tail. This may be down to wheels and tires. I9 Trail S WT Minions vs We Are One Agent with MM front, HD2 rear on the Fugitive. The steep STA really puts me in a great pedaling and climbing position with my short femurs.

It was a long wait with the competition coming out with great bikes in the meantime, but it was worth it.

mtbr member
    I've glad you are enjoying the new bike Travis. Welcome to the mid-travel FS 29er club.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Good to hear about the fit, I'm 5'3", but thinking about getting a medium. My current bike has 415mm reach but it feels short even with 60mm stem and 800mm bars. I think the M with 450 reach and maybe a 40mm stem could feel amazing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    good to hear so many good things, I'm still waiting on parts to complete my build. I'm 5'7" and got an M.

mtbr member
    I haven't been on here in a bit since getting the Fug at my doorstep 2 weeks ago.. I HAVE to post some pics soon!! Had five rides so far... tweaking stuff the first couple of rides and now getting very relaxed on this bike so far... Never had a 'true" 29er and this is blowing my mind so far. I really had no weight restrictions on my bike building it up for my intentions and how I ride and weight...(255lbs at 6'2" pure muscle. .. ok love handles there but quads of steal. My power to weight ratio is wayyyyy different than most. So my Fugitive is a 33.3lbs machine that does not feel like that weight would on the trail..you guys know what I mean.... Compared to my CHilly and DT .. yeah.. light for me.

Still setting up the Fox 36 a bit.. playing with that and put another vol spacer in there...feels good. Also the X2 feels sooooo good.. thought I needed another vol spacer in there but the 2019 X2 can only take 2 spacers I found out. For my weight and style of riding I bumped up the HSC way up...slowed down the rebound a bit and not bottoming out right now...with about 5mm left from bottom.. have 250psi in there right now for 255lbs.

I'll post more later but still fiddling with the cockpit a bit... Actually it came down to my stem on my XL frame... 50mm no rise or 60mm no rise with 790mm wide RF Atlas bars at 25mm rise. Funny how 10mm makes a huge difference. Went with 60mm.. feels good.. Seat pushed back most of the way also so thank god got an XL frame.

Anyone else running a 60mm stem ??
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I love it already...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I love it already...

I will never get tired of looking at those cranks. and what cassette is that?

mtbr member
    Ntinos p man.. killer pics.. pls.. more! Great pup too! wow!
    k n o ll y r o c k s

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I will never get tired of looking at those cranks. and what cassette is that?
    It's a Garbaruk xtender, but I thing is not in production any more

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/garbar...view-2016.html

Next week I will try this one

Ntinos p man.. killer pics.. pls.. more! Great pup too! wow!
    Thank you ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181011_153703.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's a Garbaruk xtender, but I thing is not in production any more

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/garbar...view-2016.html

Next week I will try this one

Thank you ;-)
    I had a 10-50 garbarul cassette. it was nice, looked great and worked fine with an XT m8000 RD and garbaruk cage, but tbh it didn't shift as good as my friends eagle so I went with that for the Fugitive

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Has anyone put an orange for on the fugitive yet? I need to get a fork ordered but I donít know anyone with an orange one to compare 😔

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Ooh! Do you have a pick of the bike from the front please? How do the orange on the fork match?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    With some imagination...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181021_171700.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Haha! Thanks! Itís not far off then?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dairich View Post
    Haha! Thanks! Itís not far off then?
    According to Noel, the orange highlight on the Fugitive should match the Fox orange. Definitely doesnít match the Hope orange, but Iím still happy I went with orange hubs.

mtbr member

Fugitive build ideas & plans

Somewhere around 15 rides in and Iím loving the Fugitive more and more. I was telling my buddy that itís already my second favorite bike and closing in on the Turner Burner 3.0 fast! Biggest adjustment so far has been trusting how much I can push into the front of the bike while cornering - felt some magic today on both big fast turns and tighter switchbacks where weighting the front end a bit extra allowed me to whip the rear end around. Very cool.

Iíve got the on bike storage down to where I can just grab the bike and go for a 1-2 hour ride with basically no prep (canít see the OneUp EDC pump in the pic, but itís there) and Iím feeling dialed enough on the fit that Iíll be lopping 10mm off the bars, 15mm off the steerer (which will still leave enough for 25mm of spacers and protect the fork for resale).

My most recent mod has been the Robert Axle Project Thunder Bolt-on for the rear. I ride some tight, rocky lines that dinged up the DT Axle on my Turner pretty good, so I figured that the slightly lower profile of the Thunder Bolt-on would be a good move with the 157 rear hub spacing and Di2 derailleur out back.

mtbr member
    With some imagination...
    I would say invest in a new bike rack.

mtbr member
    How are you finding the XT 4-pots?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    How are you finding the XT 4-pots?
    So far so good. I was on Guides previously, and I much prefer the Shimano feel. The 4-pots are still very "crisp" (some would say abrupt), but I find that they seem to have both more power and better modulation than the XT 2-pots (which I still have on my Burner), and much more power than the Guides with nearly as of good modulation. I'll know more in another 6 months, but so far I'm very happy with my decision.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    what axle size did you get for the fugitive?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Your posts confuse me as we have the same name and last initial! 4 pots are excellent. As good as saints for all but an alps trip. My fluid was black after 5 days of uplifts. Completely agree with everything Joey said.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    I would say invest in a new bike rack.
    After many thousands kilometers, with not a sigle scratch is rather difficult to change it ;-)

Re brakes, I used to have for 3 years shimano saints, but for the fugitive I would prefer something else....
    After one ride I thing these maguras are better...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181027_113813.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181027_113753.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181027_113743.jpg  

Fugitive build ideas & plans-img_20181024_142829.jpg  

mtbr member
    what axle size did you get for the fugitive?
    Itís the 175-181mm size Thunder axle: https://robertaxleproject.com/shop/t...-x-1-0-thread/

So far the Robert Axle Project axle has been great, and they were amazing in terms of communication and getting the axle to me as quickly as possible. Chris was who I spoke with there, and he provided dimensions compared to the stock DT axle and confirmed that I was in fact getting the right axle (the Fugitive wasnít on their axle finder).

For those who are looking for a different axle solution, I got the following directly from Knolly:

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Ninos - I'm surprised you're actually enjoying the Magura's while using them with incorrect rotors. Those appear to be Shimano which are 1.85mm thick and Magura brakes call for 1.95. I know it sounds silly but I did the same thing once upon a time and the brakes never worked well. Now with proper rotors, I've never been more impressed with a set. Food for thought.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasr6 View Post
    ninos - i'm surprised you're actually enjoying the magura's while using them with incorrect rotors. Those appear to be shimano which are 1.85mm thick and magura brakes call for 1.95. I know it sounds silly but i did the same thing once upon a time and the brakes never worked well. Now with proper rotors, i've never been more impressed with a set. Food for thought.
    oooohh snapppp!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Ninos - I'm surprised you're actually enjoying the Magura's while using them with incorrect rotors. Those appear to be Shimano which are 1.85mm thick and Magura brakes call for 1.95. I know it sounds silly but I did the same thing once upon a time and the brakes never worked well. Now with proper rotors, I've never been more impressed with a set. Food for thought.
    The difference is 0.1mm. A new brake pad after a couple of good rides are something like more than 0.1mm thinner maybe (??)
    Anyway by adding some more drops of magura mineral oil during bleeding there is no any difference.
    Actually I thing that shimaro rotors are better in hard use, and unlike shimano, are not became blueish after some time

mtbr member
    Those Maguras sure are sexy, but the XTs are probably more in line with my budget...

0.1mm doesn't sound like too much difference for the brakes to take up, surely, the pads wear more than that. Can't imagine the pistons running out of travel by 0.05mm each side even when the pads are worn down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Those Maguras sure are sexy, but the XTs are probably more in line with my budget...

0.1mm doesn't sound like too much difference for the brakes to take up, surely, the pads wear more than that. Can't imagine the pistons running out of travel by 0.05mm each side even when the pads are worn down.
    I recently rode a bike with Magura MT trail sports which is they "lower end" bake set and it left me very impressed, they felt almost as good and powerful as my Hope Tech3E4s. And the set costs about as much as a pair of XTs.

You should have a look at them if you're looking for something else.

mtbr member
    Cheers, I do like the idea of trying something a little fancier than the old Shimanos (I think they're the only brand of hydraulic brake I've ever owned!), but on the other hand being able to get pads etc at short notice from most any bike shop anywhere is a big plus too.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I run Hope T3 E4 on my main bike and Magura MT Trail Sport on my backup. The Maguras are awesome. Not in the same league as Hope aesthetically, but nearly there performance-wise. And half the price.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Those 1893 maguras are almost the same to the MT7.

The only difference (apart of the finish) is the HC3 lever

Yebo Numzaan
    Saw my first Fugitive on the trails yday...blue stood out from a mile away. Mark V (?) seemed pretty stoked and doing laps to dial his suspension in.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    The difference is 0.1mm. A new brake pad after a couple of good rides are something like more than 0.1mm thinner maybe (??)
    Anyway by adding some more drops of magura mineral oil during bleeding there is no any difference.
    Actually I thing that shimaro rotors are better in hard use, and unlike shimano, are not became blueish after some time
    I agree Magura rotors leave a little bit to be desired. I believe the Hope V4 rotors are 1.95 and I plan to give those a try. I also agree that .1 shouldnt make that big of a difference but my experience with Magura says otherwise. I also have short fingers so I have to set my levers pretty close to the bar. This doesnt leave much room to have them make up for that distance with lever throw. The one thing I wish Magrua had was bite point adjustment like hope, SRAM, Shimano, etc. I love their brakes but man, I wish they'd get on board with some of the latest offerings.

I'm running Magura trail brakes on three bikes in kind of an odd combination. My current trail bike, GG trail pistola, has the trail carbon calipers with the sport master cylinders. My Delirium is running trail carbon master cylinders and trail sport front, 4-piston calipers both front and rear. My fiance is running trail sport master cylinders with the 2-piston trail sport calipers front and rear.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I will give a try to magura rotors then :-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was going to get a set of maguras for the fugitive, but my hopes are still great and didn't feel it was worth it changing them out. Plus I'm too much of a fan of the whole hope aesthetic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    yeah you cant argue with hope's sex appeal. Definitely quality stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by inonjoey View Post
    According to Noel, the orange highlight on the Fugitive should match the Fox orange. Definitely doesnít match the Hope orange, but Iím still happy I went with orange hubs.

Hey all:

Just a quick note on this:

The regular Fox Orange (since about MY2018) is Pantone 021C: this is what we use on our products and is what you would currently call "Fox Orange" and is stock on all forks and rear shocks.
    The "complete Orange Lower" that is on the Fox 36 is not the same colour: it is slightly lighter and brighter.
    Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Noel, could you also please post the pantone code for the Le Mans blue?

Cheers!

Perpetual Hack

Winter Projects

Anybody tried an Avalanche tuned shock yet?

I'm pretty sure I'm going to build a Fugitive this winter.

Most likely LT and full coil if I can get away with it.
    (210 + gear / 6'2" and I don't seem to get along with air suspension)

Frame: Large - none of the colours really work, but it would be between Black Cherry and Raw.
    Fork - ? Would like a Kash 36 with Ava cartridge and either Ava/Push coil - but that is $$$
    Shock - Avalanche tuned ?? or if trunion mount if available Ava Woodie
    Brakes - Formula Cura / Hope E3, or maybe a set of /Guide Trail 4 pots I have kicking around.
    (I know Noel like them, as they were his at one point, I do too, awesome feel, but getting a consistent bleed that will hold is a bit of a bitch )
    Cranks - RF Next R Carbon ?
    KMC X SL gold
    Drivetrain - ? Not been keeping up, so ????? a stip or two down from top the pile is good for me.
    Wheels - Oynx hubs with ??? alloy rims 30-maybe 35 id (Spank 350 is a leader)
    Tires - ? Some combination of WildRockR2 / DHF / DHR2 / Agressor / Rock-razor or similar
    Bars - Syntace Vector Carbon
    Stem - Renthal ?
    Grips - Ergon GE1 Evo Factory
    Post - One-up ?
    Headset - CaneCreek
    Chain retention / bash - one-up ?
    Saddle ???
    Pedals - Spank Spike or Gamut Podium.
    Chris King stem spacers and custom top cap with Ti bolt.

Petty much decided to rebuild my Podium this winter as well.
    Avalanche internals for the 888 RC3 Evo Ti
    Service the CCDB, or maybe sell and put an Avalanche or Ava tuned shock on?
    Spank Vibrocore bars with a bit or rise
    New rims 27.5 / 26 - Stans Flow / Spank Race 33 or ?
    (Would love a set of the Spank 350 Vibrocore, but they only give the 26 to sponsored riders, not available to us plebs.)
    Asseguy / DHR2 MG3C front / back ?? compound

Stuff staying on the Podium
    SRAM 10 speed, X0/X9 drivetrail - give me no issues and its a sunday driver DH bike.
    RF SixC cranks
    KMC gold chain
    Thomson seatpost
    Joystick saddle
    Renthal stem
    MRP Bash / chain
    Hope Tech3 V4 brakes 200/180
    Hope hubs
    888 RC3 Evo Ti fork with custom shimstack - Keep chassis but change out to Avalanche damper
    Serviced CCDB - small possibility of change.
    Ergon GE1 Evo Factory grips
    Custom top cap w/ Ti bolt.

Thoughts on either appreciated,
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

Anytime. Anywhere.
    If I was 6'2 I would be on an XL. I'm 5'9" and very happy on a large.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    ^^ Agree
    I am 6.1 - 6.2 (188cm) and XL is perfect for me.
    (MUCH better that the Large warden C)

mtbr member
    I agree with Ntinos P and Travis on the size.. I'm 6'2" and the XL is premo for me! I'm used to coil all around on my previous (still have) Knolly's and really impressed with the Fox 36 Factory and X2 in the rear on the Fug.. I'm 253.2lbs naked also.

Also I'm running the Spank 350 Vibrocore wheels and really are impressed with them laced to I9's.. Never had I9's.. always Hadleys. I wanted the spank wheels for the extra stiffness and save some bones on the build.

Man, this bike is really somethin'!! I haven't been on it b/c of weather and work in the last nine days or so and last nights ride was something special...so efficient!!!!!! Being off of it for a bit and coming back to it...man...I don't know...smooooth!

I met a few peeps in the parking lot for the first time last night and this one guy was on a new Yeti sb130 or something that was killer in it's own right! But yeah I was on him like no tomorrow..almost rubbing tires and such on different sections up and down.....hehe...with my size almost ran him over and we were at a good clip up and down the trail..no problem. At the end of the ride it's pretty cool to see everyone asking questions about the Fugitive and gawking over it like I do.

Quesiton: Anyone running in slack mode most of the time or no?

Also I might do that Robert Axle Project Thunder Bolt-on soon.. thanks Joey.. awesome.

Perpetual Hack
    I'm still on a 50mm stem 26" Endorphin, so the reach on an XL Fugi looks like an oil-tanker in comparison....

Anybody have any experience with Onyx hubs?
    Heavy but everything else looks great.
    Quiet - Am so over loud hubs.
    Fast.
    Lots of ways to fly your freak colour flag.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Ive run onxy hubs for a while now. Now anytime I get on a bike with ratchetting hubs I can't stand the sound haha. Haven't done any maintenance on them since I gottem 2-3 years ago.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Anybody have any experience with Onyx hubs?
    Heavy but everything else looks great.
    Quiet - Am so over loud hubs.
    Fast.
    Lots of ways to fly your freak colour flag.
    I have a pair of Onyx hubs that I have mixed feelings about. I love the silence and they seem to spin forever compared to DT 350s. I got them, in part, because I heard they are bomber and need very little attention. After 2 years on them, the axle in the rear hub broke and the bearing smack dab in the middle of the rear hub completely seized up. I got the rear serviced after the first year, not sure why they're having these issues now. Hopefully my experience is a fluke but I'm not sure I would shell out the premium price for these again.

mtbr member
    I've ridden a couple DT Swiss wheelsets lately and their freehubs just make a pretty mild ticking sound. On a trail with any noise [gravel/loose rocks/etc..] you can't hear the freehub.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Perpetual Hack
    Ya, I have a pair of 340's on my '10 Delirium with the 36pt upgrade and they are pretty quiet, but on decently smooth singletrack they are still noticeable, but livable.

240's with the 54 pt are not quick enough, and borderline on the noise.
    I9 would be ok engagement wise, but damn they are not quiet.
    I would like 120+ and quiet.
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

orthonormal
    Project 321 is another silent option with quick engagement. I have no personal experience using them, though

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hello guys, I'm looking for a new bike for next year and I want a bike to pair with my Evil the Following V1. The Fugitive is on my list (and at the top!) but here's in Italy we don't have any dealers (the last one close this year) and I find in Europo some opportunity. My question is this: I see in the shock option that there is also the RS Superdeluxe (hope it's the 2019 version), nobody buy the bike with this shock or have the opportunity to compare to the Fox DPX2?
    I was a lot afraid to hear the weight of your bikes but today I have weight mt Evil and it's near the 14 kg so the fear goes away!
    Thanks

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    Project 321 is another silent option with quick engagement. I have no personal experience using them, though

321 is worse than the onyx for flange spacing.
    It is in the red zone, narrow spacing = very compliant wheel.

Wonder what it would cost to put 321 guts with the quiet pawls at 240pt into the I9's?

(321 used to use I9 internals until they came out with the magneto-drive or what ever they call it, word has it that they will swap the other way as well)
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I'd love to hear more about this. I've always wished for i9 and onyx to have a baby

Perpetual Hack
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    I'd love to hear more about this. I've always wished for i9 and onyx to have a baby

I'm still wondering when the lightweight version on the Onyx hub will be released. It gets mentioned here and there, but there seems to be little about it other than it is supposed to be a simpler version of the sprag clutch they currently use.

I know True Precision got bought a year or so ago, the site is still up, but looks unchanged since the release of the boost 148 stuff. Anybody have any idea if they are alive or walking dead?
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil-Thrash View Post
    Hello guys, I'm looking for a new bike for next year and I want a bike to pair with my Evil the Following V1. The Fugitive is on my list (and at the top!) but here's in Italy we don't have any dealers (the last one close this year) and I find in Europo some opportunity. My question is this: I see in the shock option that there is also the RS Superdeluxe (hope it's the 2019 version), nobody buy the bike with this shock or have the opportunity to compare to the Fox DPX2?
    I was a lot afraid to hear the weight of your bikes but today I have weight mt Evil and it's near the 14 kg so the fear goes away!
    Thanks
    Hello Evil-Thrash:

Thank you for your interest in the Fugitive!

We are shipping units to Europe continually and one of our excellent European importers would easily be able to help you purchase a frame and arrange shipping to Italy.

I suggest that you contact us at our info @ knollybikes dot com e-mail and we can happily put you in touch with the best importer for your region.

We do have the RS Superdeluxe in stock as well, so we can fulfill your desire for that shock.

Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hello Evil-Thrash:

We are shipping units to Europe continually and one of our excellent European importers would easily be able to help you purchase a frame and arrange shipping to Italy.

I suggest that you contact us at our info @ knollybikes dot com e-mail and we can happily put you in touch with the best importer for your region.

We do have the RS Superdeluxe in stock as well, so we can fulfill your desire for that shock.

Cheers,
    Thank you Noel!
    My question is on the performance of the Superdeluxe compare to the DPX2, just curiosity because till now I see only Fox rear shocks mounted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Does anyone have any experience riding/racing with the DPX2 and the Super Deluxe? Im interested in running a Super Deluxe but have no comparison between the 2. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thank you Noel!
    My question is on the performance of the Superdeluxe compare to the DPX2, just curiosity because till now I see only Fox rear shocks mounted.

Fugitive build ideas & plans-20181006_162641.jpg

You should get one no matter what.
    I would go for Fox even just for the color mach with the orange on the frames.

mtbr member
    Thank you Noel!
    Hi Evil-Thrasher:

They are both similar products: 450-500 gram air shocks designed for mid level applications: trail through Enduro style riding with additional oil volume and IFP secondary air springs. The Superdeluxe is probably the slightly burlier of the two, but that comes with about 40g of extra weight.

In terms of which one to purchase, it's a bit like Ford vs Chevy. I would say that performance wise, while different, both are quite good and really fill that middle of the road place quite well. If you're looking for the most aggressive DH performance, then you should move into the Float X2 or even the DHX2 coil shock (at increased weight and cost). If you're looking for a do everything well and still be able to rally your bike aggressively and without adding additional weight and cost, then either the DPX2 or Superdeluxe will fill that role well. If you have a penchant for the SRAM shock, then there really isn't much to dissuade you from going that direction.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    ^^ Agree
    I am 6.1 - 6.2 (188cm) and XL is perfect for me.
    (MUCH better that the Large warden C)
    What bar and stem combo did you run on your Warden C and what are you currently running on the fugitive?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bryce511 View Post
    What bar and stem combo did you run on your Warden C and what are you currently running on the fugitive?
    50mm stem, 780mm bars with 20 rise, (and 35mm spacers) on the Warden C
    40mm stem, 800mm bars with 20 rise, (and 40mm spacers) on the Fugitive. Maybe I should cut the bars 1-2 cm

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    50mm stem, 780mm bars with 20 rise, (and 35mm spacers) on the Warden C
    40mm stem, 800mm bars with 20 rise, (and 40mm spacers) on the Fugitive. Maybe I should cut the bars 1-2 cm
    I'm 6 foot and 1/2 inch and I ran 780mm bars with a 38mm rise and 50mm stem on my large carbon warden and really wanted the bike to feel bigger. I currently have a size large Fugitive on the way and I'm hoping that the longer reach matched to the bigger wheels and stack height give me that fit I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    How would you compare the climbing and pedal efficiency to the spot mayhem? I prefer a longer top tube than the mayhem, but I keep reading about how amazing the bike is so I'm not sure about the tradeoff.

Over the weekend I took the Fugitive to 2 very different trail networks, one smooth and fast, the other steep and chunky.

I'm 5'9" on a large with a 160mm fork, 10mm rise bar, and a slammed 35mm stem. I think I'll try a flat bar or drop the fork to 150. There is no way I will ever go back to a shorter bike because the long reach and steep STA feel so good.

On the smooth, fast trails this bike was very fast, especially on the pedaly sections. It pedals better than my Endorphin did and I would have no qualms taking it on a long ride anywhere. Seated or standing, flat or climbing it pedals very well. The cornering felt natural, not quite as quick as the Endorphin, but not too far off.

On the steeper trails it was very confidence inspiring. It's a cliche, but the Fugitive really does feel like more than 135mm in the rear. Chunder was obliterated by the 36 and X2, and the long (for me) bike with 35mm stem made steeps less so. We had a long gravel climb to access the trails and it handled this at least as well as my hard tail. This may be down to wheels and tires. I9 Trail S WT Minions vs We Are One Agent with MM front, HD2 rear on the Fugitive. The steep STA really puts me in a great pedaling and climbing position with my short femurs.

It was a long wait with the competition coming out with great bikes in the meantime, but it was worth it.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have never seen a Spot Mayhem, but the old school short geometry knocked it out of contention for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Oh my bad. I was thinking you rode one.

I have never seen a Spot Mayhem, but the old school short geometry knocked it out of contention for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    What is the best fork offset to run on my Fugitive. I plan on building mine with a 160mm fork. I race pro/cat 1 enduro and that is what this builds intended use is for. Thanks!

Perpetual Hack
    What is the best fork offset to run on my Fugitive. I plan on building mine with a 160mm fork. I race pro/cat 1 enduro and that is what this builds intended use is for. Thanks!

Bit o'reading fer ya.

As well..

Manitou Mattoc
    MRP Ribbon and Ribbon coil.

Both the Mattoc and Ribbon (especially the coil version) get a lot of love.

I have an original Mattoc upgraded with the IRT air chamber. Very nice fork, great spring with the IRT and very nice damping. Not the best for the smallest chatter, although the new seals are supposed to be much better. If you are a larger rider and race, look elsewhere as I think you will find it flexes a bit too much. I'm about 220 atm, and for normal riding, it is great, but when you are really hooning it in rough terrain, I can feel it hunting.

The two best air forks atm are supposed to be the grip2 and the '19 Lyrik.

If coil is your bag, the Helm looks very good, but really shines when pushed hard. And don't forget that you can add a coil kit to an existing fork such as the grip2 from Avalanche, Push and Vorsprung in the new year.

I'm also in the hunt for a new fork.
    I'm tending toward either a grip2 with a coil conversion or the Helm coil. The coil converted fox will be significantly more expensive and arguably better, but how much better....?
    Last edited by mykel; 1 Week Ago at 06:09 PM. Reason: Meant Grip2 not Fit2
    Hatched in 1964
    A Dirtbag since 1969
    A Knomer since 2007

Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Endorphin

mtbr member
    What's the all up weight of one of these. Size medium like.......

Sorry, musta' been really tired.
    Last edited by tungsten; 1 Week Ago at 09:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks for the link and the info! My question was more in regards to what offset people have tried on the fugitive and what the their conclusions were. 44 or 51 offset for any 160mm fork

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    Bit o'reading fer ya.

As well..

Manitou Mattoc
    MRP Ribbon and Ribbon coil.

Both the Mattoc and Ribbon (especially the coil version) get a lot of love.

I have an original Mattoc upgraded with the IRT air chamber. Very nice fork, great spring with the IRT and very nice damping. Not the best for the smallest chatter, although the new seals are supposed to be much better. If you are a larger rider and race, look elsewhere as I think you will find it flexes a bit too much. I'm about 220 atm, and for normal riding, it is great, but when you are really hooning it in rough terrain, I can feel it hunting.

The two best air forks atm are supposed to be the FIT2 and the '19 Lyrik.

If coil is your bag, the Helm looks very good, but really shines when pushed hard. And don't forget that you can add a coil kit to an existing fork such as the FIT2 from Avalanche, Push and Vorsprung in the new year.

I'm also in the hunt for a new fork.
    I'm tending toward either a FIT2 with a coil conversion or the Helm coil. The coil converted fox will be significantly more expensive and arguably better, but how much better....?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    What's the all up wait of one of these. Size medium like.......
    Hi Tungsten:

Please contact us at info @ knollybikes dot com.

We are starting to get some inventory, so wait times are greatly reduced and we may even be able to fulfill your order from stock depending upon colour choice. We also have product coming in continually (i.e. we received an order of frames this week and will receive more next week) so inventory levels are changing quickly, but there is a good chance that we can fulfil your order quickly.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link and the info! My question was more in regards to what offset people have tried on the fugitive and what the their conclusions were. 44 or 51 offset for any 160mm fork
    bryce511:

Offset is this years "Reach" of 2017...

Honestly, it's noticeable but not detrimental to go one way or the other. These types of changes are purely geometrical and will tailor performance appropriately. The difference is noticeable, but not massive. Shorter offsets in the 42 - 46mm range will have a more "floppy" steering feel that is better suited to high speed riding. Longer offsets (typically 51 - 54mm) will be more snappy and engage a turn more quickly: of course they will be better for more tight single track riding and switchbacky climbing.

While the internet fan-boys seems convinced that you "have to have 44mm offset" on your 29" bike, there is no right or wrong answer and both will work well on the Fugitive. We are shipping forks with the 42 / 44mm offset simply because that is what customers are asking for, but if you have a longer offset fork, there are no concerns with using it on the Fugitive.
    Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Finally been out for a ride on the fugitive.

I canít explain exactly why it was so good. Very responsive but not too responsive and the grip is phenomenal in corners. Also the traction on the climbs was brilliant.

And Iím so glad I went for the large, I thought initially I felt short but when I got going Iím pretty sure itís the perfect fit, front end never felt like it was going to wash out and the back only let go when I was in trouble and I needed it to!

running 160mm in the steep position, with a 44mm offset. If thatís floppy then Iíd be scared to find out how responsive the bigger offset with less travel is.

Love it so far!

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Cannot explain either... why this XL is so much more agile than my L warden C (!!)

Love it too <3

Knolly by Ντίνος, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I canít seem to attach pics but my local isnít as tropical as yours!

The wheel setup just feels amazing too

https://flic.kr/p/2a4qNrA.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2cKBYqs

https://flic.kr/p/2a4qNQ1

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I canít seem to attach pics but my local isnít as tropical as yours!

The wheel setup just feels amazing too

https://flic.kr/p/2a4qNrA.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/2cKBYqs

https://flic.kr/p/2a4qNQ1

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fugitive build ideas &amp; plans-1112.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thanks Noel!
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    bryce511:

Offset is this years "Reach" of 2017...

Honestly, it's noticeable but not detrimental to go one way or the other. These types of changes are purely geometrical and will tailor performance appropriately. The difference is noticeable, but not massive. Shorter offsets in the 42 - 46mm range will have a more "floppy" steering feel that is better suited to high speed riding. Longer offsets (typically 51 - 54mm) will be more snappy and engage a turn more quickly: of course they will be better for more tight single track riding and switchbacky climbing.

While the internet fan-boys seems convinced that you "have to have 44mm offset" on your 29" bike, there is no right or wrong answer and both will work well on the Fugitive. We are shipping forks with the 42 / 44mm offset simply because that is what customers are asking for, but if you have a longer offset fork, there are no concerns with using it on the Fugitive.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by bryce511; 5 Days Ago at 08:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    So I was finally able to build up my Fugitive and rode two of my favorite trails in WA.

it's FAST, that's the first thing I noticed, it wants to go fast. it pedals very well, climbs a lot better than my old Warden Carbon. This is my first 29 and it's really nice down chunky stuff, rolls over it nicely but still has good feedback.

it's very playful and has a ton of traction, specially in corners.

One thing that pleasantly surprised me is how good it jumps, doesn't take much effort at all.

The raw finish is so beautiful. the warden C was nice, but I feel knolly alloy bikes have always been a step above the rest in terms of workmanship and attention to detail, and this one with the refinements developed on the Warden C is even better.

Some pics here: https://www.vitalmtb.com/community/p...71/setup,37855

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I saw that, nice.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How tall are you?
    Finally been out for a ride on the fugitive.

I canít explain exactly why it was so good. Very responsive but not too responsive and the grip is phenomenal in corners. Also the traction on the climbs was brilliant.

And Iím so glad I went for the large, I thought initially I felt short but when I got going Iím pretty sure itís the perfect fit, front end never felt like it was going to wash out and the back only let go when I was in trouble and I needed it to!

running 160mm in the steep position, with a 44mm offset. If thatís floppy then Iíd be scared to find out how responsive the bigger offset with less travel is.

Love it so far!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Iím 5í11Ē. I was tempted by the medium, but the large is great

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Would you protect a raw alu frame ? I sweat a lot, and based on the picture in this or the other Fugitive topic, I'm afraid it would leave stains if the sweat is not cleaned right away.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxone View Post
    Would you protect a raw alu frame ? I sweat a lot, and based on the picture in this or the other Fugitive topic, I'm afraid it would leave stains if the sweat is not cleaned right away.
    I didn't protect my raw Endo from sweat, but I did put a strip of protective tape on the DT & NDS CS plus an inner tube around the DS CS. If I was starting from scratch I would have put tape over the decals as mine started to rub off/peel pretty easily.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I invisiframe all my bikes but mucoff do a sweat protect now that seems to have be good

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks, I emailed Invisiframe and they are still waiting to get their hands on a Fugitive to design the specific protection kit.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast