Endrophins on the Delirium "T" - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Endrophins on the Delirium "T" - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear

Well, I have been slammed at work so I haven't been able to post this sooner.

Anyway this past weekend, I finally got the 6 month monkey off of my back. I successfully jumped the 20 footer that I crashed on Thanksgiving day and I did it with confidence and control - woohoo. It was awesome. I know to many on this forum, this is common stunt (please forgive my enthusiam). I have no problem hitting jumps without gaps, but gaps still put a little fear in brain (especially the gaps with the pungee sticks. I will fly down the steepest mountains with rocks, hit drops never seen before but jumps with gaps still scare me (but I love doing them!). I bought the DT specifially to get more aggressive, and to hit gap jumps. Yes, it was too much bike for my skill, but I am slowly moving up to its level.

My obsession with the gapped 20 footer....

8-9 months ago - started riding with the Dominator (who is crazy) and he hits some amazing stunts with ease. I was scared to ride with him at first, but he is super cool and has helped me progress. I was hitting small gap jumps at the time, but my confidence has increased by riding with him.

6 months ago - Thanksgiving day - I wanted to hit the 20 footer for some time. My stepson, who jumps perfectly, nails it following Dom. Dom gives me **** that it is going to be a long Turkey day - I turn the switch in the brain and I go for it and get bucked, land nose heavy, and slam into the ground hard. With a ful face helmet on, I bruise my eye, chip my tooth, and bite the inside of my cheek. Now I am scared of the 20 footer - monkey on my back.

Christmas Break - the kids and I build a 20 footer nearby at one of the local trails and we fill it in with dirt so that it is tabletopped. It took all day to build this. I spend every day on Christmas break hitting this jump with no problem. Confidence increases.

Jan, Feb, Mar - rain in NorCal, no jumping in the wet, just a lot of fast downhill trail riding.

April - less rain, back to jumping again. Dom convinces me to hit a another bigger jump which will prepare me for the 20 footer. I hit it, which really helped mentally - thanks Dom!Everyone who watching me jumps says you got it - go for it. I pass on the 20.

Last weekend - I am felling super confident in my ability and recognize that I can do it. I hit the 20 footer perfectly. I did a number of times afterwards - woohoo! (I am still a bit scared of it.) I was so excited that I took the whole family out to dinner to celebrate . Only downfall, Dom was not present when I did it. Next time!

A year ago, I would have never even thought that I would have even attempted to do a jump like this. It is addictive and super fun to progress. It is an awesome experience to challenge yourself and eventually hit the mark. Patience and practice can conquer anything.

Cheers,
    Jamie

mtbr member

Good job!

I know all about the fear thing. I may do some crazy stuff too but it is all calculated, I would never try it unless I had 100% confidence that I would make it. Here is a pic of the 20 footer, takeoff is on the left, the landing is the carpeted area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endrophins on the Delirium "T" - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-p1010059_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thanks Craig! - You guys were killing the 20 on Sunday!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Awesome story. Totally know what you're talking about.

Things like 20 footers are not something you can try. You have to do, and know you're going to do it. I spend most of my time working on skills and confidence. I have to, I'm not that talented or lucky.

mtbr member
    Nice work!!!!

I also have a fear of (what I think is) that same 20 footer. I've hit the mini-version on the right side a few times and I usually end up landing with too much weight over the front wheel. I've always managed to ride it out but it puts the fear into me every time. Enough so, that I've never even seriously considered the 20-footer.

That said my goal for this year make some progress in this department. I'm looking forward to getting back down that way - just waiting on the frame...

Roll on Spring Time!
    Just a suggestion but try running your rebound a little slower when hitting jumps, especialy if you stepping it up and are concerned about landing it front heavy.
    I just want to ride.

mtbr member
    Thanks Brickbrick and Claw! I am glad folks can relate and appreciate - this is super cool to know!

I can play on jumps all day long. The week before my buddy had a computer on his bike and we did 6 miles worth of jumps, we were there for ~3 hours, pretty much no stop. The total run is very short.

The jumps at this unknown location are steep, which was a large part of my fear. Over the past few months, they modifed all of the jumps to a steeper incline (which actually made the 20 footer less steep). This allowed me to hit steeper jumps and control the bike and keep the front end up. As seen in the picture by craig, the jumps in the far background are much steeper than the 20 footer. I practiced on these jumps (12 foot gap), as recommended by Dom, which definitely causes your bike to get bucked now and then. You learn to handle this for the bigger situations. I am very methodical.

The 20 footer in the end was more a speed jump.

mtbr member
    It was a matter of time. I am, not gonna lie, a little dissapointed that after nearly 8 months of grooming he chooses to do it without me. I'll get over it once I see the SEG on his face after he hits it. Jamie is not kidding when he says he's methodical, although you'd never know it the way he flies down Techy gnar. Congrats to you my friend.............you know what's next..............oh, yes it is!
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    I know, I know....I even stood on the top to scope it out...

I know you say it is easier (the latter drop with a gap)...probably in a few months (most likely after whistler)...

I will show the 20 footer this weekend though!!!!

What the ----?
    Nice job dude - Way to stick with it! I bet it was hard to wipe the smile off your face
    after you landed that one. Progression is a wonderful thing ---- man, i cant wait to get
    my DT.
    Last edited by Rich from CT; 04-27-2010 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member

That is the thing about progression

There is always something bigger. I havent ridden the DT since November and came down to ride with these guys having only been on a couple of trail rides on my new El Guapo. Anyway, the 20' scared me a little at first too but within an hour I was hitting it and Dude's next "fear", the step up ladder gap drop (for lack of a name), how about "mini AC". Jamie, its all about speed on that one, I hit it a little slow the first time and barely made it. Here is a vid of Dom hitting it on his new Jedi and a pic of me hitting it on the DT.
    <object width="400" height="300"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11223208&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" /><embed src="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=11223208&amp;server=vimeo.co m&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_port rait=0&amp;color=&amp;fullscreen=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="400" height="300"></embed></object><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/11223208">Jedi Dom</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1907974">Craig Manning</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dsc00173_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Rich - "smile"...I couldnt even remember it, I had to go back and do it again to get a sense for it. Yes that day I was on cloud nine!

My first go at it, I over shot the 12 foot gap jump landing before the 20, which required me to make a hard turn and really pedal for the 20. My friends were shocked that I went for it since I overshot the proceeding jump, but when the switch is turned and the commitment is set, it is go time.

It was funny every run, I would execute the jump perfectly and upon landing I would think that was easy and fun. Then I push my bike back to the top and start to think that's a big jump and a bit a fear set in. This mental mind f%&k went on every run. After a few runs, I felt tired because of the adrenaline (endorphin) rush wore off.

Craig - thanks. No immediate plans to hit that yet - but you and Dom make it look super easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So cool. That vid stunt is all about commitment. Don't even think about touching the brakes. Badass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nice one mate....
    nothing beats that super stoked feeling, of conquering your fears, specially after taking a slam on a particular jump,obsticle, or feature.
    riding with riders who are better/ more experianced than you, who have the patiece and time to help and encourage you is great for progressing.
    like you said 12 months ago you wouldnt even consider jumping a 20 footer. my brother and i were the same. in may 08 our first trip to whistler, having never even rode on single track the guides were showing us stuff like rock rolls, and my reaction was you can ride a bike down that no way........
    2 years on and 4 more trips to whistler we are clearing the rock rolls with out hesitation, jumping tables and on our last trip in september 09 even hit the large drop in joy ride drop park, we even rode schleyer and did the drop on that, though i wimped out of the glc drop. this is my next target on my return to whistler.
    dont you just love progression.
    good luck on your next challenge.
    i know sometime soon we will be seeing pics of you hitting and clearing that huge step in that vid

mtbr member

Awesome!!!

Delirian -Great to hear!

Yeah, we ended up going to whistler twice last year and going this year (july 21-26 - woohoo!) and in September (with Dom and Craig - those two are going to go nuts there). My buddy and I are hooked. My buddy is even renting a podium in July. Whistler is so much fun, everyone should experience it (as well as the North Van). Everytime you go - you progress more and more. That place is all about progression. I can't wait (tick tock)!

Last year on our second trip, I did the GLC a few times, the little stream gap, etc. I want to hit the step-up to boxcar to drop this year. There are a few other things, but I dont know their names.

If you go this year, you got the GLC!!!! Especially if you are hitting the large drop in joyride. That is a super fun drop. GLC is not much different, just more of drunken audience!

I love the drop in Schleyer that banks hard right, the large roll is incredible (can you say pucker), and the rocky drop on a-line near the end is a blast!

Jamie

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh yessssssssssssssssss i have 2 trips already booked and paid for this year. col and i are heading off to whistler for the 1st 2 weeks of the season. also going to be there the last 3 weeks of september, if you boys are there then (think it's 11th sep-2nd oct) then it would be really cool to catch up and have a ride with you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yep i know what you mean..... i too kept eyeing up the box car jump on freight train, dont think my balls are quite big enough yet though

on my to do list for this year, the glc drop. backside most of the tables on aline, aline drop.
    and maybe take a stab at dirt merchant. with the possibility of hitting the creek jump, (that could result in a wet rider and a bruised ego lol )

mtbr member

What????!!! 5 weeks in whistler!!!!

Someone is doing something right in life !!!! You go from not riding singletrack to spending 10% of the year of the year in whistler that is amazing. You will be killing it by the time we get up there.

We will be up there during your extended stay in Sept. No dates set yet, but I will contact you as it draws near.

BTW - a week later I showed Dom that I can do the jump. I hit the 20 footer a bunch today. I cant believe I use to be scared of it.

Cheers,
    Jamie

Bnerd

Great Stoke!

Your story and accomplishment is great!

I have a solid fear of gap jumps! I don't think twice about doing table jumps but as soon as there is a gap, no matter how small, all the worst case scenarios start popping into my brain!
    I managed to tame some of my fear of gap jumps on my last bike trip through Oregon. But it is very hard to build up the courage when you have no one to follow into a new feature.

Dude!, you have upped my stoke for the bike season with your accomplishment!

And to anyone making a pilgrimage to Whistler drop me a PM. I call Whistler home. I would be stoked to ride with fellow Knolly owners! Then we can totally bike nerd out! I have a lot of spare time on either side of July/August. During the main part of the summer I am working/coaching full on in and out of the bike park. Not to say that I couldn't find time at that point but...
    I could show people around on the trails outside of the bike park. I realize the bike park is why most people come to Whistler but there are some pretty amazing trails in the valley! And if we have vehicles there are sweet trails to be had both in Pemberton and Squamish.
    Last edited by RideEverything; 05-02-2010 at 06:03 PM.

mtbr member

Outstanding:)!!!!

It has been really cool to read everyone's response this week describing how they can relate and how everyone is upping the bar for this season -NICE !

Whistler - let's meet up - it would be a blast. We should probably start a new "Knolly Riders in Whistler 2010" thread.

It would be great to ride some trails outside of the park. I have two buddies (Chris and Tav)that work for Fox Apparel in North Van and they shows us some of the local goodies when we show up. There is never enough time - this is why I keep going back. I have ridden all over the US and Whistler/North Van is one of the tops. Our backyard (Santa Cruz) is not too shabby.

RideEverything - I have seen some of your pictures in your posts - you are hitting some nice stunts with gaps! Therefore, the gap jumps that you are referring to must be BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let us know how it goes and take some pictures!

Cheers,
    Jamie

mtbr member

Thats cause you havent ridden in my backyard

Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    I have ridden all over the US and Whistler/North Van is one of the tops. Our backyard (Santa Cruz) is not too shabby.

Cheers,
    Jamie
    Well sort of but that didnt count. Really looking forward to the Whistler trip, it would be great to hook up with some other Knollyites.

mtbr member

Smooooooooth!

I still don't understand what took him so long!?
    "You don't stop playing because you get old, you get old because you stop playing!" - Unigeezer

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Someone is doing something right in life !!!! You go from not riding singletrack to spending 10% of the year of the year in whistler that is amazing. You will be killing it by the time we get up there.

We will be up there during your extended stay in Sept. No dates set yet, but I will contact you as it draws near.
    BTW - a week later I showed Dom that I can do the jump. I hit the 20 footer a bunch today. I cant believe I use to be scared of it.

Cheers,

Jamie
    yeah i guess i am pretty lucky,,, though i do make sacrificies to allow for this.
    it comes from working in a pretty well paid job, working stupid long hours,( anything from 9-15 hours per day) still living with mommy and daddy not drinking or smoking. being single and having a really cool boss who will let you have the time off for such holidays .
    so as you can see i have to have some pleasure.in life.
    hope to see you in september then.

mtbr member

Proof!

Dude gets sideways and then hits the 20'!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dude-.jpg  

Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dude-2.jpg  

Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dude-20.jpg  

Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dude-20-2.jpg  

mtbr member

Thanks Dom:)!! Check out Dom's 2 X 20 =40 footer

Dom is looking very smooth these days!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dom_40_1.jpg  

Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dom_40_2.jpg  

Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-sideways_dom.jpg  

mtbr member

That looks just like the pic you sent me last week

except without the smile!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Endrophins on the Delirium &quot;T&quot; - Finally Conquered a 6 month Fear-dom_40.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0