mtbr member

Endorphin 27.5 would you do it all over again?

Curious as to whether or not you would purchase the endorphin knowing what you do now, and some of the attributes you like and dislike about the bike.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Absolutely. It's a great bike, and while I had it was always the bike I grabbed for just about any ride. Mine had handled anything from long XC days to park days. I had it setup with a coil rear and air fork at 150mm. Felt that it was well balanced. Great do it all bike.

mtbr member
    In a heartbeat, yes. Only things I'd do differently is go for a raw XL over a red L. I don't really dislike anything about my current Endo, but wouldn't hesitate to go for more reach next time I buy a bike. It's been a hell of a versatile bike though, I've used it for back-country epics to shuttles and everything in between. It doesn't feel cumbersome on long rides, and it's not too often I'm left wishing it had more travel. Set it up with coils at either end for a mini-enduro sorta thing or keep it light and nimble with air as a playful and capable trailbike.

Would I buy an updated Endo over a Fugitive though??? Hmm...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Absolutely.
    Only question whether I should be on a Warden instead sometimes, but rarely do I feel the bottom of travel with the coil/coil setup I'm on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natas1321 View Post
    Curious as to whether or not you would purchase the endorphin knowing what you do now, and some of the attributes you like and dislike about the bike.
    For the most part yes I'd buy another Endo. I'd just go with an XL vs. the L I am on now. From a ride quality perspective it's an amazing bike. It's lightweight for it's toughness. It has a lot of tire clearance. It'll hold a water bottle!

Killer bike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Would I buy an updated Endo over a Fugitive though??? Hmm...
    Depends on what "updated" means.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So... anyone know where I can get an Endorphin frame? Other than PinkBike Buy/Sell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would by something burlier, i don't agree when people say it is a mini-downhill. It is to weak for that, in my opinion the rear end is to soft. tried it with both pike and lyric but the bike is very much the limiting factor when going downhill. Maybe a fox 36 and something with coil in rear would have worked better.
    I know it is not made for bike parks but even on my local trails i feel that i holds me back when speed start to pick up.
    Got a little better this year when a put a 1 degree slacker headset on it but i hope the ripmo i ordered will work better!?

I really like knolly as brand but if i would have known what i know now i would have bought the warden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I'm definitely a fan of mine and would likely buy it again (though I'm a bit 29er curious at the moment). I came off a Warden and I find that the Endo is better suited for my local trails in Bellingham. The Warden is faster when the speeds turn up and the trail is chunky, but this is not typical of the trails I usually ride. The Endo is faster and more fun in pretty much every other situation. I find it to be very capable even on the gnarlier unsanctioned trails I sometimes ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freerideordie View Post
    So... anyone know where I can get an Endorphin frame? Other than PinkBike Buy/Sell.
    I haven't seen any new Endos for sale in a while [less XLs]. You might want to call/email Knolly and see if they know of any dealers who might have one on the showroom floor in your size.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Endorphin 27.5 would you do it all over again?

While I was waiting for my Endorphin to come I rode several of the the new geo 29ers at interbike and Outerbike back in 2015 and was super stoked on a few of them including the Following, Canfield Riot,and the Ripley LS. If I hadnít already ordered the Endo I wouldíve pulled the trigger on one of those.

When my Endo finally arrived I forgot all about those other bikes (mostly). Three years later Iím still in love. Itís fast and playful on the tamer stuff and pretty dang capable on some truly technical and steep crap. Itíll show its limits if you try and push the speed on true DH type trails but Iím constantly astounded at its range.

Having ridden the Fugitive I gotta say itís tempting and I came ďthisĒ close to swapping my Endo for a Warden C last year, but for now Iím standing pat.

Iíd be lying if I said I wasnít tempted by some of the other new 130-150mm 29ers like the SB130 or 150, Evil Offering, Fezzari La Sal Peak, Ibis Ripmo, and of course the Fugitive LT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KRob; 1 Week Ago at 08:38 AM.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    vikb and David R why would you upsize? How tall are you and what stem length are you using?
    Cheers

Keep on Rockin...
    The Endo, was, and still is, probably the best bike purchase I ever made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    vikb and David R why would you upsize? How tall are you and what stem length are you using?
    Cheers
    I'm 5'11" with 33" pant's inseam. At the moment I'm using a 65mm stem and ~780mm bars.

The problem is I got a new 29er with the "modern" longer geo that's popular at the moment. After riding that for 4-5 months and jumping back on the Endo it felt tiny. So I threw on the 65mm stem [vs previous 50mm stem] and the wider bars. The bike now feels decent, but I wouldn't mind the longer reach of the XL and going back to the shorter 50mm stem.

Keep in mind I am between sizes on my 29er and went with the smaller size which is a medium in that brand and to get the same roominess on the Endo I'd like to be on an XL. That's kind of amazing.

That said I'm not spending $1700 CAD [maybe $1200 after I sell the current used Endo frame] to make the swap happen. I'll just keep riding the large Endo and If I come across a good deal on a used XL I'll make it happen. XL's are somewhat rare so I'm not really expecting that to happen.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    183cm, normal ish arms and legs I think. 50mm stem and 780mm bars. I'm happy with the fit on the L, it was almost a 60mm jump in reach from my previous bike when I moved to the Warden (which I had for nearly a year before the Endo) but as things progress it's gone from feeling long to normal to almost compact, compared to a friend's long long hardtail. I feel I haven't yet found my upper limit for what I'd consider too long or slack for my local riding and I'm definitely going longer with whatever I buy next as I'm nowhere near the point of diminishing returns.

I'm running an offset bushing and 37mm offset fork too, and usually have the saddle a little forward of centre.

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    vikb, David R thanks for the info. you really have to demo these days. the size charts and geometry is just all over the place.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have a Gen2 26" Endo and yes, I'd buy that again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMR View Post
    vikb, David R thanks for the info. you really have to demo these days. the size charts and geometry is just all over the place.
    No problem. I should point out that there is nothing "wrong" with the sizing/geo of the current Endo. It's a great bike and rides well. It's just hard to swap between it and the newer geo on some of the current crop of long and longer bikes.

If I had not bought a new 29er I would still be riding the large Endo thinking it fit great.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    No problem. I should point out that there is nothing "wrong" with the sizing/geo of the current Endo. It's a great bike and rides well. It's just hard to swap between it and the newer geo on some of the current crop of long and longer bikes.

If I had not bought a new 29er I would still be riding the large Endo thinking it fit great.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a large Endo's effective reach 18.1" ? If so, pretty sure that is still on the longer side of reach when talking about trail bikes. Maybe I missed something in the discuss however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a large Endo's effective reach 18.1" ? If so, pretty sure that is still on the longer side of reach when talking about trail bikes. Maybe I missed something in the discuss however.
    Looking at Reach without also looking at Stack is problematic since the former is defined by the latter. In the case of the Endo it's Reach is not particularly long if we are talking "modern" geo, but when you realize its stack is low then that not particularly long Reach becomes shorter. The same goes for the effective TT, which measures a lot shorter in reality than is shown on the Endo geo chart.

Just looking at the geo charts my medium 29er has the same Reach as my large Endo, but the 29er fits bigger when you actually sit on the bike due to its higher stack. The large in that brand is another 1.2" longer than the medium.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Hi All!

We have another production run of Endorphins coming out shortly! We have been out of stock on this product for quite a while as our summer 2018 allotment sold through much more quickly than expected. However there has been sufficient demand for this model to produce an additional fall 2018 production run!

This bike is pretty much the epitome of 'fun": just super fun on all sorts of terrain! Competent up and down, it's a verocious technical climber, surprisingly capable in rough descending (as other have stated) and nicely balanced for multiple types of trail applications.

More information will be available shortly including three all new colourways. One of these new colourways will be an extremely limited edition girly girl colour picked by some of our female staff intended to poke a little bit of fun at the whole "pink it and shrink it" women's bike movement. Please let me know if you have any questions and / or please contact us at info @ knollybikes dot com.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    So happy to hear this!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Gents - dont mean to hijack but this is the most current endorphin thread. Hope yall dont mind me tossing a question into the mix:
    I am looking to pick up a raw endorphin frame for my fiance. She's 5' 5" so I've been concentrating on finding her a small. This is not an easy proposition as there just aren't many of them out there. I wonder, though, with today's reach numbers where they are, would she actually benefit from a medium? I recall my large Warden feeling pretty short compared to a lot of other larges. I know stand over is another inch taller versus a small but its already lower than bike she's currently riding (Felt Compulsion LT50).

Here's the breakdown of sizing:
    Felt - reach:415, stack:557, standover:724
    Endo M - reach:438, stack:591, standover:707

Just for comparison, Guerrilla Gravity recommends a small for someone her size and here are there numbers for their mid travel 27.5 trail bike, the Shredd Dog
    reach:440, stack:617, standover:686

its that big jump in reach and stack that worry me. Thoughts? Anyone here try something similar with fitment?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vegasR6 View Post
    Thoughts? Anyone here try something similar with fitment?
    My GF is 5'6" normal proportions and rides a medium Warden with a 50mm stem. It's not particularly big for her. I haven't looked at standover, but she could ride my Large Endo with a short stem just in terms of bike length/cockpit size.

I'd look at the M Endo for your GF if you think the Stack is manageable.

- what is her Felt saddle to bar drop like?
    - does she have any spacers under the stem?
    - does her current bar have any rise?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The only real issue would be the seat tube length. It may be too long for a proper dropper post. I rode a medium and then picked up a large which I shortened the seat tube to fit my 160mm Revive. I'm 5'9" and much prefer the longer bike and am now on a large Fugitive.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The only real issue would be the seat tube length
    Travis - the seat tube on the medium endo is 10mm shorter than the Felt

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    My GF is 5'6" normal proportions and rides a medium Warden with a 50mm stem. It's not particularly big for her. I haven't looked at standover, but she could ride my Large Endo with a short stem just in terms of bike length/cockpit size.

I'd look at the M Endo for your GF if you think the Stack is manageable.

- what is her Felt saddle to bar drop like?
    - does she have any spacers under the stem?
    - does her current bar have any rise?
    Thanks for the comparison Vik. Sounds like this might be a winner. Her current bar is only 10mm rise and I only have a single 5mm spacer under the stem. I had her up higher but I was trying to help solve the problem where she told me the bike would wheelie all the time while climbing. It also has a 50mm stem. I have a 40mm Renthal just sitting around doing nothing though so that could be an option if she feels stretch out at all. I've never measured her saddle to bar drop. I'm running a 100mm KS external dropper on the Felt with about 2" of post sticking out, give or take.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Here she is next to the current bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Couple more of her on the bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hi All!

We have another production run of Endorphins coming out shortly! We have been out of stock on this product for quite a while as our summer 2018 allotment sold through much more quickly than expected. However there has been sufficient demand for this model to produce an additional fall 2018 production run!

This bike is pretty much the epitome of 'fun": just super fun on all sorts of terrain! Competent up and down, it's a verocious technical climber, surprisingly capable in rough descending (as other have stated) and nicely balanced for multiple types of trail applications.

More information will be available shortly including three all new colourways. One of these new colourways will be an extremely limited edition girly girl colour picked by some of our female staff intended to poke a little bit of fun at the whole "pink it and shrink it" women's bike movement. Please let me know if you have any questions and / or please contact us at info @ knollybikes dot com.

Cheers!
    142 or 148?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Warden > Endo for burly, steep trails. I have no issues climbing on my Warden either.
    As far as fit goes, I am 5'6" and ride a size medium Knolly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten View Post
    142 or 148?
    Won't be 148...

142 or 157, that's the question. Can't imagine they'd change just the rear end spacing though, so I'd suspect 142 unless the whole bike is getting a revamp. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Won't be 148...

142 or 157, that's the question. Can't imagine they'd change just the rear end spacing though, so I'd suspect 142 unless the whole bike is getting a revamp. Wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong though.
    142mm indeed

Dr. Pepper drinker
    Definitely 142 that will ride better than anyone's 148 bike. Kinda like how their 130 rear travel will feel better than most 150 rear bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Warden > Endo for burly, steep trails. I have no issues climbing on my Warden either.
    As far as fit goes, I am 5'6" and ride a size medium Knolly.
    Thanks Skooks. Have you made any specific adjustments like seating or stem height and length to fit the medium? What length dropper do you run? What length are your cranks? I'm hoping I can get her on a 125 and have it pretty much slammed. The 100 I have her on now has quite a bit sticking out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have a 31-inch inseam, and the medium Warden fits me perfectly with a 50mm stem and 150mm dropper. I am currently running 170mm cranks. I could ride a small- or medium frame according to the Knolly sizing chart, but a small would definitely feel too small to me.

mtbr member
    Can fit 2.6 in Endorphin?

mtbr member
    Yes.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Keep on Rockin...
    So far I've fit, on an i35 rim, a Maxxis Forkaster and Rekon. Its tight, but it works with no tire rub.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    So far I've fit, on an i35 rim, a Maxxis Forkaster and Rekon. Its tight, but it works with no tire rub.
    On an i30 rim, I fit a Rekon 2.8 (not my bag).
    On an i30, I've run both Specialized Slaughter and Butcher 2.6 with plenty of room.