Different GoPro Point of View- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Different GoPro Point of View

Different for me, that is...

The raw vids are nothing special and this XC trail is truly not DT worthy... no chunk or drops but still fast, flowing fun very close to home. The reason I'm posting is that I was surprised by this video point of view. If you are on the Knolly Forum, you most likely have first hand knowledge of the quality of the Knolly frame ride. I mounted the GoPro to the DT at the upper shock mount. While the Calabasas Millennium Trail is not remotely rough, it is typical SoCal hardpack, washboard, rutted singletrack. Mounted to the frame, there is virtually no camera movement as the Knolly soaks up almost all of the trail vibrations... an interesting point of view I thought to quantify the quality of the Knolly ride.

Different GoPro Point of View-knolly-gopro-mount.jpg

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vUi4PBcuXrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u5me_4ADACU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    That's very cool. What extra parts do I need to attach the gopro?

mtbr member
    I use the GoPro tripod attachment bolted thru the DT upper shock mount hole with a standard 1/4" bolt. Then GoPro pivot arm attachments to orient the camera.

Name:  GoPro Tripod Mount.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  7.3 KB

Double-metric mtb man
    Sweet idea, TM!! I may have to try that for an upcoming charity ride I'm doing.

My first attempt on the DT (same thing...nothing really DT worthy, but a nice ride) had to come around the light on my bars...too many links... I ended up shooting my tire more than the trail

Here's my edited footage...

As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Are you kidding? Complete FACEPALM here! Nice work - I have all those bits (delirium, gopro, tripod attach) and will give it a bit of a go today!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What video editing software do you guys use? I had something called Pinnacle studio HD, but it got wiped when my computer crashed and I don't have the disc.

I'm looking for something EASY(and potentially free). All I need is the ability to rotate view, make some cuts, and add some totally killer music.... like Hootie and the Blowfish.

mtbr member
    I use a copy of my wife's PowerDirector 9; this software is a perfect fit for her work projects but definitely overkill for my mountain biking video editing needs. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a software expert but I believe that there are two free video editing programs based on your OS... Microsoft Movie Editor or Apple iMovie.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    that a Hope Pro II rear hub?
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    that a Hope Pro II rear hub?
    That sounds like a Hammershmidt. They sound like that when in the upper gear.
    Last edited by bubba13; 06-14-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    sooo, that's what they sound like, huh..

never been around one
    breezy shade

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    I use a copy of my wife's PowerDirector 9; this software is a perfect fit for her work projects but definitely overkill for my mountain biking video editing needs. I'm by no stretch of the imagination a software expert but I believe that there are two free video editing programs based on your OS... Microsoft Movie Editor or Apple iMovie.
    You're right, my computer already had MS Movie Maker, and it took all of 7 minutes to find every feature I would ever want to use. Stoked!

mtbr member
    No... DT Swiss 240S with an upgraded 36 point star ratchet. Twice as fast engagement but noisy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very sweet did a similar point of view using PVC pipe, cant upload pics yet as a new member, but I think you can view them in my user gallery.

I can post links now:

and a short clip during my testing.

https://youtu.be/_by0Z1dVlV4
    Last edited by RMRetherford; 06-14-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add links

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would be so scared of whacking the camera against a tree or a rock, damaging the frame (you can tell what my priorities are )

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Actually it doesnt stick out any further than my body or my bars. What worries me is whats gonna happen when I whipe out.

Double-metric mtb man
    So TM....I'm assuming you're in the bottom hole for your shock to make that work?
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mike View Post
    So TM....I'm assuming you're in the bottom hole for your shock to make that work?
    My current setup has the shock mounted to the bottom hole and the GoPro to the top. With the right bolt, I could make this camera setup work in any shock mounting configuration.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ok, so it took a while to get around to this. I tried using a similar setup (ie: short bolt with camera/tripod holder), but it was WAY too shakey for use in anything...adding arms only added to that. Not sure if it is a difference in trail types/chunkiness, equipment or what.

Here is what I ended up with: a 3" x 1/4 bolt threaded thru the entire shock shuttle mount, with 5/8" nuts acting as spacers so that the shock/shuttle bolts aren't interfered with. I used two 1/4" bolts on the camera side to eat up space, then attached the gopro to that. This doesn't put the GoPro out quite as far as I'd like (I'd like a similar setup like yours, where the focus isn't on the back of the fork leg). I am sure some of this change in perspective has to do with models/frame differences, as well as the wider fork (Totem) and equipment differences.

Results:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/26687066?title=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Almost NO shaking, totally stable vid. This setup works well, I'll locktite the camera attachment and take it to CO with me in the near future. Provides a great different perspective to try things out. Shooting up at the rider is also good, provides good point for rear suspension shots, etc...I'll test out some of those and post up soon.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 07-20-2011 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post
    Results:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/26687066?title=0&amp;color=ff9933" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    Is that some Girl Talk mashup I hear? That dude kills it on the wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Is that some Girl Talk mashup I hear? That dude kills it on the wheels.
    Indeed it is.

What the ----?
    Get out the way b!tch get out the wayyyy!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich from CT View Post
    Get out the way b!tch get out the wayyyy!
    Hey d!ck, don't talk about her like that...she is a good pup (when she gets some trail time).

What the ----?
    Nice!

mtbr member
    May 2004

other perspectives

Watching the rear work is interesting, the ego-cam isn't as cool as I'd hoped...seems boring without the perspective of anything moving. I'll post up the vid clips another day when I get around to it!