Delirium build- Mtbr.com

Thread: Delirium build

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Delirium build

Just thought Iíd share with you guys. My delirium build has come a long way and gone through several iterations already. I started the build in fall of 2017. Picked up the frame with a few components from one of Knollyís grass roots guys. He had attempted to use it as a DH race bike but apparently didnít get along too well with it in that configuration. At the time I was riding a GG trail pistol and was looking to build myself something for park and shuttle trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Next step was to pick out the build. I knew I wanted a Fox 36 up front and i9 wheels. Well luckily I had both from another build I had done recently. The fork was only 160mm and needed a service. I wanted it done right so I sent it to push for a revalue and had it extended to 180. The latest 2.6 tires interested me so I decided to try the new butchers. My magura brakes were working well on my trail pistol and magura had just released the sport version in black. With a little creative part swapping I had black brakes with blue accents. The eThirteen cranks also came off another build I had done and seemed nice so I decided to try them out. More on this later. The coil shock train hadnít quite pulled into town yet and I wanted the bike to handle quick so I removed the DH length DVO jade and installed a Fox X2. The deity pedals worked great on another bike I had ridden recently and came off another build so I decided to throw them on as well.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190513/545b0379221785327196e2f8a6437ccd.jpg" width="549">

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Curious how the DVO rides. And how soon X2's last before needing a rebuild. I loved the CCDB for about 10 rides. I more or less have the same setup just nude & Classic Enduro I9's. Looks Sharp!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ttchad View Post
    Looks Sharp!
    Thanks ttchad. The sharpness improves, I promise. I actually never rode the DVO. Sold it to pick up the Fox X2. I ride full cane creek coil setup on my fugitive. Had a similar setup on my GG as well. I'm a big fan of their stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Unfortunately, almost as soon as the build was complete, I found out that I had to have spinal surgery. That happened in December 2017. So up until that point, I only got to take the Delirium out on a few local trail rides just to enure the thing didn't fall apart. It was in no way a true test of how the bike was meant to be ridden. I had to sit out completely for 5 months. Then once I was able to start riding again, I could only do light trail rides for another 4 months. It wasn't until September 2018 that I finally strapped on my full face and got to figure out what it was really like to ride the delirium. My first shuttle ride in well over a year ended up being to Brian Head, UT on the dark hollow trail. The weather really turned on us so I only got in a couple runs but it gave me some good information about the bike and some new directions to take.

First of all, my tire selection wasnt the best. The butcher seemed to steer well but as a rear it rolled really slow and moved all over the place while braking. The bars were also too low. This was a function of a much higher stack height on my GG and my lack of fitness. But either way, I needed to make a change. If for no other reason than to make myself more comfortable jumping between bikes. The fork seemed to work ok. Lots of adjustments are available and I didnt have time to get into them all so I just kinda rode it. I wasnt overly happy with the rear shock though. The bike just seemed to wallow in the travel and had no real pop.

Still...a good time was had by all and it felt good to be riding some bigger terrain again. Not to mention the bike looks totally bad ass at this point.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    My 2nd outing on the Delirum was in Kernville, CA during what they call Shuttlefest. Great trip. Highly recommended. As previously mentioned, I knew some changes were in order after the Brian Head trip. Specifically because the loop we were going to be riding in Kernville was 26 miles and I knew I couldnít pedal the bike that long in its current setup.

After learning in Brian Head that the Butcher really wasnt an ideal rear tire, I swapped it out for a 2.5 Maxxis Aggressor and Iím much happier with it. Much steadier on the brakes, corners well, and rolls fast. Itís also a little smaller than the butcher it replaced which was welcome. I think the butchers were just a little too big overall. Kinda felt like riding a tonka truck.

Next, the riding position felt too cramped and the steering too heavy. My GG had a taller stack height and longer reach so the delirium felt uncomfortable both pedaling and standing. I just so happened to have a beautiful black Anvl Swage 50mm stem laying around. That was installed in place of the original 40mm renthal apex stem. This only addressed one of my problems though. The bars were still too low. As a temporary measure, I added 20mm of stem spacers.

Last, to address the wallowing in the rear travel, I added a 3rd volume spacer to the X2. Iím still using all available travel but the bike feels much more lively now.

The Kernville trip gave me a lot more seat time on the delirium and gave me some more ideas to make the bike even better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    During the off season I decided to address some of the issues I experienced with the bike on the last two trips. This took quite a bit longer than expected because of Noel and co decided to throw a monkey wrench into my budget with the Fugitive.

As previously mentioned, I had added 20mm of headset spacers under the stem to raise the stack height up a bit. Obviously this is less than ideal for several reasons so the first thing I did was swap out the SixC handlebars 20mm rise for a pair of Next R bars with 35mm rise. It kinda bummed me out to lose that little bit of blue so I slapped on some new ODI Vapor grips in blue. Problem solved. With the taller bars installed, I was able to remove the 20mm spacers out from under the stem and go back to a total of 10.

Over the past few months I have come to discover all that is awesome about the new Specialized Eliminator tire; specifically in the front. It rolls fast and grips well in the loose, dry terrain we have out west. So I removed the front Butcher and installed the Eliminator in the new BLK DMND casing. Not sure why they couldn't just spell it out completely but oh well. The sidewalls are much thicker than the grid casing so it gives me some additional puncher and pinch flat protection. Still running the Maxxis aggressor DD rear. No tire inserts.

Next change was to the brakes. I found myself wanting a little more power in the rear than the Magura 2-piston had to offer. I had a really hard time getting a good bleed on the Magura carbon master cylinders for some reason as well. Their trail sport masters have no such issues and felt great. Still using them on my Fugitive. I also smoked my rear rotor in Kernville so some additional heat dissipation was on the menu. I went totally out on a limb here cause I've never ran a full set of the latest hope brakes but they have such a great reputation and I love how serviceable they are so I took the plunge on a set of E4's. Again, I lost some subtle blue accents that previously existed on my Magura's so I swapped out the bore caps and adjustment knobs for blue. Not one for convention, I elected to skip the Hope rotors. Something about them just bothers me. I've had my eye on a set of floating rotors from Galfer for a long time but up to this point they've only imported them with green anodized pins. Hard pass. But thanks to fellow Knation member in Poland, Piotr Starzecki, I was able to score a set of their 203mm rotors with blue pins. Thanks Piotr!! I combined these with a set of the Galfer pro pads.

My next changes were more subtle and drive train related. Honestly if I hadn't come into these on another bike deal I probably would've left it alone but I swapped out the previous GX 1x11 setup for a X01. Since I already had the XX1 cassette, the only noticeable difference is shift lever feel. The X01 lever just has a better feel to it. While I was upgrading the drive train, I took the opportunity to try out something new to me; a KMC black DLC chain. I have to say, I'm pleased with the initial quality and it adds a more purposeful look than the chrome SRAM chain it replaced. My favorite part of the new drive train though are the blue anodized JRC ceramic bearing pulley wheels. Just another very subtle blue accent like the rotors but I like it.

The cranks and BB are also new. Cranks are the same manufacturer and model but an updated design. e*thirteen components had a run of bad arms that were produced back in 2016. The set I had installed when I initially built the bike fell into this group. A few quick emails and photos to Cory over there and I had myself a brand new set of cranks. The bottom bracket is by BBinfinite and utilizes their ceramic bearings. Again, probably not necessary for a park bike but I wasn't about to let it go when I sold my GG recently. Made sense to swap it out for the raceface unit I had in there previously.

One thing I forgot to mention on my last update was the wheels. When I first built the Delirium, I mounted a set of stock i9 Enduro wheels. These were the older ones with 26mm rims. Since I hate big logos on my components and I'm a huge believer in 30mm rims, I immediately looked to swap these out. I ended up landing on a set of RaceFace ARC 30's. Light, strong, inexpensive, durable brushed finish, and a very stealthy look once the decals are removed. At the same time this was going on I stumbled across and other set of i9s for another build I was doing for my girlfriend. These just so happen to come with blue hubs. Well the blue didn't match her build at all and obviously I couldn't let those go to waste, so after a little swapping of parts, I had my wheels built with the ARC 30's, blue hub shells, and new ceramic bearings. The final touch came after I read an article on MTBR I believe about how presta valves actually serve no purpose on modern mountain bikes. Growing up racing BMX, I always hated presta so this really convinced me to look into moving to Schrader. Low and behold, Stan's makes tubless Schrader valves for fat bikes. With a little creative drilling, they mount right up to the ARC 30's. Threw on some blue valve caps and done. I'm now running Schrader on all my bikes. Suck it presta!

Next I added a Push ACS coil kit to the front fork. I've been running coil for over a year now on my trail bike and really wanted the same sensitivity on the front of the Delirium. More on this later.

I got the bike done exactly one day before heading up to Moab a few weeks ago. Moab having the reputation that it does, obviously I wanted to ride my "big bike". Well life had other plans for me. Unfortunately (and also luckily) about 1.5mi into the Porcupine Rim trail on day one, my left side pedal failed on me. The body retaining bolt broke off inside the spindle. So I don't have much feedback to provide on the latest build update. However, I can confirm that carrying the Delirium (or probably any full suspension MTB) up this trail sucks total ass! I can also say that I honestly didn't feel all that comfortable on the delirium. At this point, I'm chalking it up to the big change with the fork. Well, maybe that and the 6 months since I'd last ridden the Delirium but whatever. First, my fork was previously set to 180 and the ACS is only available up to 170. So the geo of the bike has changed slightly. 2nd, I believe my initial attempt at a spring rate was a little too soft. I can blow through 90% of it just by pumping up and down on the bike in the street. Fine for a trail bike but I think I need a little more support on my park bike. I'll be changing the spring soon and adding some pressure to the bottom out chamber. If that doesnt work, I'm thinking of pulling the kit out and going with the new Vorsprung kit in 180. It has a hydraulic adjustable ramp up for the final 2 inches of travel which sounds nice.

Just when I thought I was finished and ready to set the bike aside for the weekend, a little package from DEITY Components showed up in the mail yesterday. They completely rebuilt my pedals with new spindles, bearings, seals, and hardware free of charge! The pedal bodies and pins transferred over. Thanks to Angel at Deity for getting these back to me so quickly!

Well the plan now is to take the bike out this weekend on some of my local trails to test out all these changes and see what works and what doesn't. Wish me luck.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Great write up, thanks. Keep the info coming. I'm kind of bummed you don't seem to be getting along with it as well as you'd like. I absolutely love mine. Same color even.

The original:
    https://imgur.com/xdrhgqi

The new rear coil:
    https://imgur.com/m20rfp5

The new front fork waiting to be installed:
    https://imgur.com/MRVPXvq

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BunniBoi View Post
    Great write up, thanks.
    Thanks Bunni. wow, I cant believe you took the plunge on that motion fork. Super cool. Very curious to know how it rides. I have the cane creek coil on my fugitive and love it. I'd absolutely run one on this bike but I think the rear linkage is too linear. I'm considering trying one of the MRP progressive coil springs on a cane creek though. Gotta get this fork sorted before I make anymore changes. I spoke to Push this morning and they want me to pull out the air bump stop. Sounds like its not working correctly. I aired it up to max and went on a light trail ride with my son yesterday. Just 3mi but I ended up moving my switchgear all around after that so it wasnt totally useless. That and with the air chamber aired all the way up the fork behaved like a coil 100mm XC fork. Super smooth but short travel. Its when I aired it down later to test that I ran into problems.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    The E18 is pretty amazing. HERE is my first impression. It's since gone back to Motion for some tweaking and i just got the green one back on my YT.

Ali Clarkson did a good comparison video HERE. He did have some gripes, but I just got word from Motion that they're being fixed as we speak.

Personally I think the Delirium rides SPECTACULARLY well with the DB Coil. I'm not sure how progressive the linkage is, but since Knolly designed for and recommends a coil for this bike in DH-lite mode I figured it must be OK. The DBAir was good, but I just had to pull the trigger when Knolly had the coils on closeout for $350 with a spring. It takes the rear travel to 188mm but maintains the same BB height (in low) as the DBAir in high. Geo is the same, but it just is really bottomless and plush.
    Last edited by BunniBoi; 1 Week Ago at 10:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ttchad View Post
    how soon X2's last before needing a rebuild
    I've had an X2 on my warden since sept 16 and haven't needed to rebuild yet. Im only 150lbs so maybe not the abuse by a 200lb guy but I ride aggressively in Pisgah multiple days a week so it gets plenty of work.

mtbr member
    Sweet look'in build!!
    '04 Knolly VTach | '15 Knolly Podium | '16 Knolly Delirium | Knolly Warden

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Sweet look'in build!!
    thanks Big B. I cant imagine I'll do too much more to it at this point. Just wanna get the suspension dialed right now. The jury is still out on the bars too. I just rotated them forward quite a bit the other day after my short ride with my son. I'm really liking the Deity bars I just installed on the fugitive. I would've went for them on the delirium but they dont make them any taller than 25

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well guys/gals, I had a pretty decent rip on the delirium Friday. After riding it the other day I still felt the front end felt too low when I was standing. So I decided to throw the bike in slack mode and drop the BB a half inch. I had never ridden the bike set up this way. It was a major improvement in both high(ish) speed steering feel and the feet to bars ratio. I also had the Push air bump stop in the fork set to 20psi which is on the low end of their scale. Max is 50psi. Overall, the bike felt a lot better and I was even more impressed with how fast it rolls on a familiar trail, even compared to my fugitive. I did notice a bit of spin from the rear wheel when climbing loose, rocky sections but I'm chalking that up more to stiff casing and a little too much air pressure. I'm now considering swapping the rear tire on the fugitive over to an aggressor. Just wish Maxxis made it in the new EXO+ casing. I really dont wanna run double down on my trail bike and EXO isnt really an option. Anyway, the delirium felt good but not great. The push bump stop just isnt my favorite. It just seems like its all or nothing regardless of what pressure I run. The air volume is probably too small. Maybe Push will update it at some point. In the mean time I'm gonna move forward with the Vorsprung kit in 180. This should give a much smoother ramp up at the end of travel and bring the front end up a little higher. I'm also going to move to 170mm cranks. I recently made the switch on the fugitive and really like it. Just not sure what I'm gonna get yet. I'd love another set of the ee wings but would really like to stick with black arms. Guess we'll see.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    ACS-3 is cool, but I thought my delirium ran better with a 180 than a 170, and ran into that wall like feeling on the bump stop. I ran 10 PSI which gave a bit of ramp, but didn't feel as much like a wall.
    https://youtube.com/c/jamesstoup - Check out my racing on Youtube

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by james.stoup View Post
    ACS-3 is cool, but I thought my delirium ran better with a 180 than a 170, and ran into that wall like feeling on the bump stop. I ran 10 PSI which gave a bit of ramp, but didn't feel as much like a wall.
    Thanks James. Glad my impressions are shared by others