Delirium - Angleset vs. Frame geometry adjustment?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365

    Delirium - Angleset vs. Frame geometry adjustment?

    Its winter and so I of course have been thinking of ways to change up my delirium. This topic has been on the top of my list but I am looking for some feedback.

    I am thinking of picking up an Angleset and running it in the -1.5 degree setting. I am thinking it will give me more useable settings than the stock frame ones do.

    Here are the main things that i have been thinking about.

    - The frames geometry adjust drops the BB height a ton and only gives minimal slackening. It seems to be about 0.5 degrees for every 0.4" BB drop. So it is close to 13.6" BB in 65 mode, 14" in 65.5, and 14.4 in 66 (all with a 180 fork)

    - The angleset slackens the HA (also the SA which may be even more usefull for climbing) 1.5 degrees and from other reports i have heard only drops the BB around 1/4-1/3 of an inch total.

    So in my mind the new frame settings would be somewhere close to - 13.3 with a 64 HA, 13.7 with a 64.5, and 14.1 with a 65. (not estimated to be a full 1.5 degree's slacker due to switching to a zero stack headset with the angleset)

    Now this is a lot of guessing (with some research thrown in).

    I personally wouldn't mind riding a 65 HA with 14.1 BB height and then being able to drop it really low and slack for Strict resort days or maybe even a little DH racing.

    Thoughts? concerns? confirmations? jokes?

    Only other thing that would be good to know (but may need to come from Noel himself) is if the different frame geo changes affect springrate and any other geometry measurements (like Chainstay length, Seat Angle, etc).

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,541
    I'm just wondering what the problem is you're trying to fix. If you're just curious, then why not put one in?

  3. #3
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrwhlr
    I'm just wondering what the problem is you're trying to fix. If you're just curious, then why not put one in?
    I wound't call it a problem by any means, Just trying to brainstorm ways to get more usefull settings for the style of stuff i ride and the people i ride with.

    As of now i don't see myself ever using the 66 degree 14.4" BB height setting. Right now i only use two settings anyway. So if i put the angleset in it i could put it in the high setting and get a 65 degree HA with 14ish bb height and drop it down for other things. Still only would be using two settings but i would get about the same BB height but .5 degree slacker than my current set up (comparing the mid/low settings now with the high/mid settings with an angleset)

    Pretty much it would be a way of slackening out the bike a little.

    I guess i was hoping someone would chime in with more exact numbers and ride characteristics. $200 is a lot to spend to test it out and I have about $750 worth of things i want to switch out over the next few months and I am trying to rank which ones to do first (1X10 is first since i just sold my 9 speed rear der)

    Maybe its not worth the hassle though eh?

  4. #4
    3 "fiddy" for short
    Reputation: be350ka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    2,739
    Interesting...I was thinking about how an angle set would work on a Chili for similar adjustments.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knollybikes.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,527
    Hey CB:

    The Delirium's head angle adjustment will raise / lower the BB by about 0.5" for the full degree of adjustment.

    By slackening out the frame from the steepest to the slackest head angle position, you are essentially raising the rear wheel by about 20mm. This will translate to about 12mm by the time it gets to the BB, or about 6mm per 1/2 degree setting on the frame.

    Since the angleset works only on the head tube and not on the back of the bike, it will only lower the BB height by a substantially smaller amount. For a 560mm fork AC length, a -1.5 degree adjustment (i.e. 65 to 63.5 degrees) this might be around 5-6mm at the front of the bike, which will translate to about 2-3mm at the BB. I have NO idea how the bike will ride like this and that is a big amount of adjustment for sure...

    A 1 x 10 setup for this bike is excellent and a good place to spend a bit of money. Get a decent single ring guide like an MRP mini G and forget about your front derailleur

    Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

    Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dude!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,193
    Dominator uses a 1.5 deg angleset in the lowest frame setting. He seems to like it. He uses a 1.5 deg angleset and 180mm fork on the same trails that I use a 170mm fork in the middle setting - go figure!

    For me, the 170mm and the middle setting are great for pedaling/all mountain rides - this is a 66 deg angle. It took me some time, but I prefer this for my style of riding. I find below 66 deg it becomes too floppy. For parks, I drop it to the lowest setting and use a 180 fork - slack and low.

  7. #7
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hey CB:

    The Delirium's head angle adjustment will raise / lower the BB by about 0.5" for the full degree of adjustment.

    By slackening out the frame from the steepest to the slackest head angle position, you are essentially raising the rear wheel by about 20mm. This will translate to about 12mm by the time it gets to the BB, or about 6mm per 1/2 degree setting on the frame.

    Since the angleset works only on the head tube and not on the back of the bike, it will only lower the BB height by a substantially smaller amount. For a 560mm fork AC length, a -1.5 degree adjustment (i.e. 65 to 63.5 degrees) this might be around 5-6mm at the front of the bike, which will translate to about 2-3mm at the BB. I have NO idea how the bike will ride like this and that is a big amount of adjustment for sure...

    A 1 x 10 setup for this bike is excellent and a good place to spend a bit of money. Get a decent single ring guide like an MRP mini G and forget about your front derailleur

    Cheers!
    Interesting....

    When i measured the BB height between the mid and low frame settings i got 14" for the mid and 13.6 on the low.

    I am already running 1X9 on the bike but stuff is getting old so i figure i'll upgrade to 1X10. Plus there are some killer hills around here so i'm going 11-36 in the rear.

    Here is the list of all my upgrades planned. Right now im trying to put them in order of importance. (listed somewhat in order)

    sram x9 1x10 set up (might go all out and get the new xg1080 cassette)
    Rock Shox Reverb 380mm post
    2011 Formula The One brakes (whenever they become available)
    Cane creek angleset

    If i do end up slackening it and find i don't use the travel adjust on the talas anymore then i might get the float internals to convert it.

  8. #8
    biking is fun
    Reputation: climbingbubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,365
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude!
    Dominator uses a 1.5 deg angleset in the lowest frame setting. He seems to like it. He uses a 1.5 deg angleset and 180mm fork on the same trails that I use a 170mm fork in the middle setting - go figure!

    For me, the 170mm and the middle setting are great for pedaling/all mountain rides - this is a 66 deg angle. It took me some time, but I prefer this for my style of riding. I find below 66 deg it becomes too floppy. For parks, I drop it to the lowest setting and use a 180 fork - slack and low.

    Yeah i sent a PM to him last week asking what the BB heights were now but haven't heard back from him. I don't blame him though. I wouldn't want to go out and switch between all the travel settings and measure BB height for some random person on MTBR

    A bunch of the guys i ride with ride their DH bikes on every trail we ride so having it a little slacker would be nice. I feel it would transfere it a little more towards Mini-DH/FR than the AM/FR bike it is now. Not that this bike doesn't already rip though. I do want to enter a few races in the local DH series though and feel the slack setting would be a blast with the angleset (64ish degree HA and 13.5ish BB height )

    I guess this is why im asking for opinions, It seems hard to improve on such a great bike but It may suit my style a little more.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    27
    Stumbled on this thread, thought I'd contribute. I've done just what the OP suggested. Put on a 1.5 degree zero stack angleset with a 180mm fork.

    Delirium - Angleset vs. Frame geometry adjustment?-img_3209_zpsdd7b52d0.jpg

    In the middle setting head angle measures 65 even, BB =13.9" .
    Slackest setting 64.5, BB =13.6"
    Steepest 65.5, BB = 14.3"

    Be careful what you wish for, bike doesn't climb as well due to the floppy feeling of the headangle. Think I'll be keeping it in the steepest setting most of the time and then dropping it to full slack/low for whistler days.

    bike pictured in middle setting fyi

    considering lowering the totem to 170 to see how it rides.

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.