Cruel and unusual punishment- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cruel and unusual punishment

After several delays, I two weeks ago I finally got the call from Dropnzone that my Chilcotin was finally shipping. As I mentioned in the Burro Down enduro thread, three days before receiving the frame I busted my ACL and I have only been able to ride the bike on gravel paths as I wait for surgery in ten days. Good thing there is always the Fall! Can't wait to put the bike through its paces.

For now all I can do is take pictures, so here they are.

The raw finish is simply gorgeous and the lines of the frame are stunning:

The build will change a bit when I finally get to ride the bike, but this is not a bad start:

beater
    Very nice. Sorry about your ACL; that blows.

mtbr member
    VERY NICE pics!! I like the positive attitude looking forward to the fall. Injuries always seem like years in waiting, but after you're back on the bike all is forgotten...except for major appreciation!

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Sorry about your ACL; that blows.
    pun intended?

Hot pix NY. I could use your skills in my garage about every 3-4 weeks.
    Last edited by Dusty Bottoms; 05-09-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: add info

Woohooo! Moderator
    Nice bike!

I was riding fairly aggressive stuff within 3 months after my ACL surgery so you might not have to wait all the way until fall. Work with your therapist aggressively on your rehab. When I started riding again, I used a cheap neoprene brace with a hinge to protect the side, and I rigged a knee pad to fit around it. It was hot, but offered a decent amount of protection (which knock on wood, I never needed to use). Doing drops and out of the saddle climbs both put a lot of stress on the joint so I avoided both of those, but otherwise I was riding everything I wanted to.

Good luck with your recovery!!!

beater
    Ah, no. Nice catch.

A friend of mine had ACL surgery early last March, and he was riding with us in Moab in late May. He didn't feel full strength again until this year, though. That's why I always start to play it safe towards the end of the ski season, even though the snow is just getting good.

mtbr member
    Nice build Luca! We need a gravel path and curb drop to flat pro review.

mtbr member
    Very nice!

Hey Dusty... these pics serve to confirm; I'll patiently wait for a large raw frame.

I've survived two left knee ACL reconstructions due to b-ball injuries. At 55, I'm still riding strong. Today, surgery is the easy part. Speed and success of recovery is on you... be dedicated and determined as you rehab.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    Hot pix NY. I could use your skills in my garage about every 3-4 weeks.
    Thanks Dusty! And thank you also for all the updates while waiting for the frame.

Quote Originally Posted by wilks View Post
    Nice build Luca! We need a gravel path and curb drop to flat pro review.
    You are kidding but I have never experienced a more supple air shock than the CCDB Air! It absorbs every facet of that gravel in the most remarkable way. I can't say much about the high-speed behavior of the shock though

Thanks for all the words of encouragement! This is my second ACL tear (I injured the other one two years ago) and a bit of a bummer, but as you guys said I'll be back on a non-stationary bike in 3-4 months (that's how long it took me for the other one) and riding full speed in six.

Big Gooner
    Dec 2010
    Really nice looking bike. Sorry about your injury at least you'll have something to look forward to riding when you have recovered.

mtbr member
    Yes, very nice bike and great photo. This could be a damn website photo! By the looks of that O ring on the CCDB, you bounced around on it a little bit....Hopefully with only one leg on pedal!

I was wondering when/who the first guy will be to post the new frame pick on a red couch!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    Hey Dusty... these pics serve to confirm; I'll patiently wait for a large raw frame.
    Noted.

Yebo Numzaan
    Wow. those are stunning pictures. Sorry about the injury, that sux donkeys balls.

You can only look fwd now and the Chilcotin is a great incentive to heal up fast.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Very Nice!
    Now I really can't wait for mine to show up.

Members who have read this thread: 0