Chilcotin XL - Sizing Question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chilcotin XL - Sizing Question

I'm 6'2", but always felt that the XL Delerium was a bit short in the cockpit. I ride a large V-Tach with the stock integrated stem on the 888, and feel that it is a perfect fit (with the seat raised for climbing).

I'm looking at a XL Chilcotin, and just wanted to know the difference in feel between the L and XL frames. If the L would need a longer stem for a 6'2" rider, but the XL wouldn't, then I would definitely prefer the XL. But I don't want to be stuck with a frame that feels too long, which not stem could fix.

I probably have longer arms as well, for the average 6'2" guy, which might make the XL feel better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also 6'2" with long arms--Large Chilcotin, 70mm stem, narrow bars.

IMO, if you're looking for more of a long travel XC bike for sustained climbs, get the XL. If you're looking for more playful, easy to pop/whip/jump and doing more freeride or technical trails than climbing buff single track, get the L. That being said, I've spent hours climbing on mine and the size is perfect. Sometimes it feels a little cramped on steep loose climbs (I'm thinking 700+mm bars will help, currently running a free set of 660's), but it's a ton easier to manual and hop.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks! I'm actually looking for a AM bike, and put more emphasis on downhill prowess then uphill. I've been pedaling my V-Tach uphill for 6 years, so pretty much anything on the market today is going to feel like an XC bike (with respect to weigh only. My Tach pedals like a XC bike and climbs like a goat).

Sounds like an XL would be fine for me then, because I like wide bars (use 780mm currently) and short stems. I don't like being over the front tire, so the shorter the stem, the better. I will gladly sacrifice a little uphill geometry for some more DH stability.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Sounds like an XL would be fine for me then, because I like wide bars (use 780mm currently) and short stems.
    With a 35-50mm stem, you should be perfect.

mtbr member
    I am 6'3" and went with a large. I am regretting my decision and would like to get an XL. I feel in all situations except for extended flat sections or climbs, I am happy with the large. I don't shuttle much, so I think the XL would be better. In conclusion, if you do a lot of pedaling, go for the XL.

si vis pacem...
    Interesting discussion. I am also 6'2" with gorilla arms and am looking at going with a large with a 70mm stem and 730mm bar. I definitely want the bike to be comfortable on the climbs, but performance on the downhills and technical stuff is where my priority is.

FWIW, Noel is a similar build to me and I believe he rides a large Chilcotin.

mtbr member
    So a Large frame and longer stem is supposedly a better setup for FR/DH riding than a XL frame and short stem? I was expecting it to be the opposite.

mtbr member
    I am a hair under 6'2". I ride a large. I never thought twice about an XL. The Chili has a pretty long top tube to begin with. I have mine set up with a 70mm stem and 750mm bar for general AM riding. If anything I might go back to a 50mm stem.

I have short legs and a long torso. I never feel cramped climbing. The beauty of the design is that as you extended your post the ETT increases, and as you lower it the seat gets out of the way.

If you are putting more emphasis on the DH I would be looking towards the large. Obviously if you can test ride the two that would be the best.

For any of you in the Southern CA, LA area interested in a large, you are always welcome to give my Chili a try.

TG

si vis pacem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    So a Large frame and longer stem is supposedly a better setup for FR/DH riding than a XL frame and short stem? I was expecting it to be the opposite.
    Having been a primarily XC-oriented rider until the past few years and living through the days of 71 degree head angles and 120mm stems, it still makes me laugh sometimes to see 70mm referred to as "long." Oh how times change.

I think that stem length is totally personal and really you should probably go as short as possible without feeling cramped. (especially if you run a wide bar) For me 70mm seems ideal based on my riding style - it may be different for you. I think the rationale behind going to a smaller frame size is to give yourself more room to move on the bike and as much standover clearance as possible for when things get rowdy - for me, things that are paramount for AM riding. I can tell you that I went down the road you are considering with my last bike purchase - I bought a Trek Remedy 9.8 in size XL. The thing feels wonderful on extended climbs as expected, but is a serious handful on the descents and in the air and always feels like it's in my way. Just my $0.02 worth, but I won't make the same mistake twice.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm 6'2'' on XL, but have long torso and feel cramped on Ls general. Have run chili with 50-70MM stems, both are sweet and afford a ton of control.

Bike has felt great on lift serve (5 days this year) and great on trail, I typically ride a L VTach on the DH side of things but didn't feel like Chili was sacrificing/changing dynamic too much (weight was much more of a factor).

mtbr member
    Hey Big B. I'm torn between the two frame sizes (L, XL). What size did you end up getting in the end?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Krout View Post
    Hey Big B. I'm torn between the two frame sizes (L, XL). What size did you end up getting in the end?
    I ended up with and XL. I think a L would have been better for freeride and twisty tracks, because I struggle to get my center of gravity low enough to rail the corners like I used to be able to do on my V-tach. This also might just be me, being used to the V-tach.

However, I did do some DH runs on it, and it felt fine, as well as a trail with 20 doubles on it, and that was fine too. Also, XC/All mountain feels great on the XL.

I've never actually tried an Large, so I don't know what the difference would be, but I was able to tweak the XL with a 1.5" rider, straight Thomson post (for lowest post drop position) and a 50mm stem, which made the bike feel really comfortable for me.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks for the info! Should have a room to play with stems from 35mm - 70mm, to really dial it in for fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0