Chilcotin Suspension Maintenance?...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Chilcotin Suspension Maintenance?...

I'm poking around for a replacement to my 4yr old Santa Cruz Nomad. Interested in the Chilcotin, but it's got a lot of pivots/bearings compared to my Nomad and they seem to be positioned where they'd get a lot of water/grit sprayed on them from the rear wheel.

I live on Vancouver Island and ride year round so a bike that doesn't need a lot of maintenance is important to me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sounds like the history of Knolly bikes yields a low maintenance schedule, however, the Chilcotin is so damn incredible that whatever it requires is worth it. This bike is just mind blowing in every way!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Hey Vik,

There's a fairly large number of us riding Knolly's, and now Chili's on the island year round. My regular riding buddies are on a Delirium and an Endorphin for the past few years. Just ask on VIMB about the complete lack of maintenance...

Graham

mtbr member
    Make sure the axle on the horseshoe link is 72.70-72.75mm long:

http://forums.mtbr.com/9480914-post9.html
    Last edited by cheezwhip; 09-12-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Finer than frog hair!" - Lumberjack

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies.I'll check in over at VIMB as well...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

GASing
    I love my Chilcotin, but have had some minor pivot issues. I was riding in very dusty conditions at Tahoe, and the linkage developed some pretty bad creaking. When I inspected it, I noticed that one of the pivot bolts was missing! (it was at the allen bolt at the highest point of the linkage) I have to say I was pretty shocked, as I've never seen this happen. My dealer gave me a new pair of bolts. We lock-tighted them, and I check them before every ride. The creaking stopped after the bolt was replaced, but that could be due to all the lubing I did at the time. It started creaking again on the last ride. I'm going to re-lube. Even if the linkage proves to be the "weak link" on this bike, it is a fair price to pay for the awesome handling of this bike.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by funkle View Post
    I love my Chilcotin, but have had some minor pivot issues. I was riding in very dusty conditions at Tahoe, and the linkage developed some pretty bad creaking. When I inspected it, I noticed that one of the pivot bolts was missing! (it was at the allen bolt at the highest point of the linkage) I have to say I was pretty shocked, as I've never seen this happen. My dealer gave me a new pair of bolts. We lock-tighted them, and I check them before every ride. The creaking stopped after the bolt was replaced, but that could be due to all the lubing I did at the time. It started creaking again on the last ride. I'm going to re-lube. Even if the linkage proves to be the "weak link" on this bike, it is a fair price to pay for the awesome handling of this bike.
    For whatever reason, it seems like some bolts were secured with Loctite on my frame, others were not. I have found it best to check all bolts and Loctite them before your maiden voyage.

As for your noises, start with the horseshoe bushings. My Endo developed a similar squeak, I greased the bushings and didn't have a single noise for 2 years.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

GASing
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er View Post
    For whatever reason, it seems like some bolts were secured with Loctite on my frame, others were not. I have found it best to check all bolts and Loctite them before your maiden voyage.

As for your noises, start with the horseshoe bushings. My Endo developed a similar squeak, I greased the bushings and didn't have a single noise for 2 years.
    Thanks, I was thinking of doing that. My dealer recommended a white grease.

Members who have read this thread: 0