Chilcotin Rear Shock Tunes- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692

    Chilcotin Rear Shock Tunes

    Hi Dusty, (or anyone else in the know), just a couple of questions...

    Are the tunes for both the RS Monarch RT3 and Fox RP23 "medium" in nature? Have both of these stock rear shock options been configured in anyway to be specific for the Chilcotin's suspension design dynamics? Or are they simply off the shelf?

    I'd just like a bit more info before I throw down the 10% pre-order downpayment for April's run.

    Cheers!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knollybikes.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,561
    Hi Chromagftw:

    I'm probably the best person to answer your question and put you at ease regarding anything rear shock related

    For the past few years we have only spec'd "Low" tunes for both compression and rebound on the air shocks that we spec on our products. The first year that the Endorphin was released (late 2007 and into 2008), we spec'd the RP23 with a medium tune, based on what was initially recommended to us. However, we have found that the low spec tune works best and have since about mid-2008, sold RP23s with that tune only.

    For the Chilcotin (and Endorphin SL), we will be spec'ing them the same way: low tunes with both the RP23 and the Monarch. One of the great features of the Four by 4 Linkage is its performance with many different shock options: it is highly shock neutral and very versatile in what shock it can use. Because of the very forgiving suspension curve characteristics we don't need any kind of customized shock setup for any of our frames. The progression curve and other suspension features allow the shock to do its job with minimal interference from any thing else (braking, pedalling, weird suspension leverage curves, etc...). The frame pedals great without needed a lot of low speed compression damping, and the frame linkage also helps control bottom out resistance, so you don't need a lot of help there from the shock either. Our frames can extract maximum performance from factory shock tunes from a variety of shocks, from lightweight air to full on coil: of course, many customers opt for even more specialized performance and have their shocks custom tuned, but of course that is quite often based on personal preference.

    I hope that helps!

    Cheers,
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

    Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692
    Thanks Noel for the prompt reply.

    The info you kindly shared helps a lot as usual. A few folks had inquired before regarding the Chilli as a frame only option but this was not to be hence my curiosity. Matt from DnZ mentioned in an email just now mentioned that he believed the stock shocks (not the CCDB) were of a medium tune but is double checking I believe. I just wanted to post here to get double confirmation.

    Undoubtedly this is going to be big purchase for me and have ultimately put off other resource heavy agendas to fuel my own selfishness. I can always eat more fresh food and hold off on replacing the freezer. Maybe even wear the undies inside out every 2nd day to prolong the life of the dying washer

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com
    Hi Chromagftw:

    I'm probably the best person to answer your question and put you at ease regarding anything rear shock related

    For the past few years we have only spec'd "Low" tunes for both compression and rebound on the air shocks that we spec on our products. The first year that the Endorphin was released (late 2007 and into 2008), we spec'd the RP23 with a medium tune, based on what was initially recommended to us. However, we have found that the low spec tune works best and have since about mid-2008, sold RP23s with that tune only.

    For the Chilcotin (and Endorphin SL), we will be spec'ing them the same way: low tunes with both the RP23 and the Monarch. One of the great features of the Four by 4 Linkage is its performance with many different shock options: it is highly shock neutral and very versatile in what shock it can use. Because of the very forgiving suspension curve characteristics we don't need any kind of customized shock setup for any of our frames. The progression curve and other suspension features allow the shock to do its job with minimal interference from any thing else (braking, pedalling, weird suspension leverage curves, etc...). The frame pedals great without needed a lot of low speed compression damping, and the frame linkage also helps control bottom out resistance, so you don't need a lot of help there from the shock either. Our frames can extract maximum performance from factory shock tunes from a variety of shocks, from lightweight air to full on coil: of course, many customers opt for even more specialized performance and have their shocks custom tuned, but of course that is quite often based on personal preference.

    I hope that helps!

    Cheers,
    Noel-I have a Chilco coming and ordered with the rp23. I was wondering about trying the new Monarch coming out with piggy back due to the bottom out control. After reading this, what I gather is this frame does not really need a shock with bottom out controls? The Chilco you were riding in another thread was a rp23 right?


    Also...I have an extra RC4 that I may want to try on Chilco. How do coils ride on this frame. I ask because when I bought my Rune last year, Keith at Banshee said Runes were "designed" around air shocks due to progressive ride characteristics. The best air shocks for the Rune were ISX6 and DHX air due to bottom out control. I heard that the rp23s were not good for the Runes.

    Just wanna make sure I got the right shock being it is a new bike and not of ride experiences out there with different rides and shocks. Thanks.
    Last edited by F.N.G; 02-28-2011 at 08:22 PM.

  5. #5
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G
    Noel-I have a Chilco coming and ordered with the rp23. I was wondering about trying the new Monarch coming out with piggy back due to the bottom out control. After reading this, what I gather is this frame does not really need a shock with bottom out controls? The Chilco you were riding in another thread was a rp23 right?


    Also...I have an extra RC4 that I may want to try on Chilco. How do coils ride on this frame. I ask because when I bought my Rune last year, Keith at Banshee said Runes were "designed" around air shocks due to progressive ride characteristics. The best air shocks for the Rune were ISX6 and DHX air due to bottom out control. I heard that the rp23s were not good for the Runes.

    Just wanna make sure I got the right shock being it is a new bike and not of experiences out there with different rides and shocks. Thanks.
    BO will not be an issue. I have a RP23 on my Endo, and though I use all the travel, I never push the o-ring off. If I have bottomed it, I have never felt it. Noel did a great job of explaining what is happening, you can trust him

    BTW, I ride in Phoenix, some of the harshest terrain in the states.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    BO will not be an issue. I have a RP23 on my Endo, and though I use all the travel, I never push the o-ring off. If I have bottomed it, I have never felt it. Noel did a great job of explaining what is happening, you can trust him

    BTW, I ride in Phoenix, some of the harshest terrain in the states.

    No doubt. I have seen some of your vids on the Turner forum in years past.

    Have you done any recent vids lately on Endo?

  7. #7
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G
    No doubt. I have seen some of your vids on the Turner forum in years past.

    Have you done any recent vids lately on Endo?
    No, no videos. Too busy just riding

    I am now 100% Turner free. I have an Endo and a Podium. I recently sold my Highline with Avy DHS because my Endo with RP23 out performs it....seriously.

    I don't have any time on a Chili, but do have some time on a Delirium, and all I can say is that Knolly and 4x4 is the real deal. It may not be "magical" like some companies claim about their designs, but it has far fewer compromises than any other design on the market, IMO. The pivot locations along with the leverage curves of the 4x4 truly make a rediculous bike.

    Enjoy your bike, you will love it.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692
    FNG this might be of help. VP posted it in another section of the forum:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=monarch+RT3


    RS tune guide based on leverage ratio:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chilcotin Rear Shock Tunes-tune.jpg  


  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    FNG this might be of help. VP posted it in another section of the forum:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=monarch+RT3


    RS tune guide based on leverage ratio:
    Thanks Chromag.

    Based on the info from Noel, I guess it is just getting a shock of your preference. From what I have read and heard, seems like more people like the monarch over rp23. I believe the majority of the suggestions are the PUSH Monarchs. I have even read that some people think the factory Monarch is a better ride than a PUSH rp23. I have never ridden a rp23 or any monarchs. All I have ridden is DHX Air and RC4.

    Thinking I should have gotten the Monarch over the rp23 and even saved $100.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692
    I understand where you're coming from. A lot of information out there, along with a lot of misinformation though. I based a 2010 RS dual air Revelation purchase on pure research and consumer feedback. It was supposedly the bees knees, the cats meow, along with a bag of chips to boot - I sold it off within a few weeks.

    A $100 difference between the RP23 and Monarch RT3??? DropNzone have a price difference between the 2 shocks amounting to $225...

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    I understand where you're coming from. A lot of information out there, along with a lot of misinformation though. I based a 2010 RS dual air Revelation purchase on pure research and consumer feedback. It was supposedly the bees knees, the cats meow, along with a bag of chips to boot - I sold it off within a few weeks.

    A $100 difference between the RP23 and Monarch RT3??? DropNzone have a price difference between the 2 shocks amounting to $225...
    No, $100 difference between rp23 and Monarch on purchase price of frame.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Chromagftw
    I understand where you're coming from. A lot of information out there, along with a lot of misinformation though. I based a 2010 RS dual air Revelation purchase on pure research and consumer feedback. It was supposedly the bees knees, the cats meow, along with a bag of chips to boot - I sold it off within a few weeks.

    A $100 difference between the RP23 and Monarch RT3??? DropNzone have a price difference between the 2 shocks amounting to $225...
    Get a Deville, you won't be disappointed.

  13. #13
    Pivoteer
    Reputation: tiSS'er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,445
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G
    No, $100 difference between rp23 and Monarch on purchase price of frame.
    The RP23 works very well, no need to fret!
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: twowheelsdown2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2,079
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    The RP23 works very well, no need to fret!
    It does indeed.

    This is the first bike I have had that I have not thought "I wonder what a coil would feel like on this, because something does not feel quite right yet?"

    The suspension gobbles up rocky chunk. I rode a rocky trail last night, and I could aim right at rocks, and pick a line on the back side of them, and the bike went there perfectly. This is the most confidence inspiring bike I have ever owned!!!

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AndyN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,108
    Stop worrying F.N.G.

    This is all you needed to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I recently sold my Highline with Avy DHS because my Endo with RP23 out performs it....seriously.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by F.N.G
    No, $100 difference between rp23 and Monarch on purchase price of frame.
    Yes, thats what I was referring to. The RP23 is $225 more than the Monarch RT3 with the purchase of a Chilcotin frame:

    http://dropnzone.com/info/pid-357.html

    The larger volume RP23 does seem to draw a lot more praise than its smaller volume brother as found on the stock Banshee Spittys.


    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    Get a Deville, you won't be disappointed.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that as an after market option.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: F.N.G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Guys, thanks for the replies. I am not worried about rp23 not handling the bike. TiSSer proved that last night. I am just wondering if the Monarch "feels" better based on all the threads I have read comparing the two. If the Monarch feels better as Darren at PUSH indicates, wouldn't you try to decipher between two shocks?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,366

    I've got a Monarch

    on my 2010 El Guapo, its the standard low tune. I dont have any trail time on it, just the patent pending "parking lot test " due to snow. It sure feels better then the RP 23 HV it replaced. Much more progressive and virtually zero stiction at the beginning of the stroke.
    Last edited by craigstr; 03-01-2011 at 03:33 PM. Reason: yikes

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.