Chilcotin + Cane Creek Double Barrel Air- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chilcotin + Cane Creek Double Barrel Air

Knolly Bikes is proud to be the first company in the universe to offer the amazing Cane Creek Double Barrel Air shock as a standard option; on our Chilcotin, AND on the upcoming Endorphin. Place your order now, operators are standing by, while supplies last, offer void Uzbekibekistanstan.

mtbr member
    Appears to be waterproof, that's a plus.

Now go ride the damn thing and write a proper review!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Wonderful

mtbr member
    Ohhhhhhh.

Ride report - STAT.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    I am intrigued, but also scared of this shock. In the same way that that the RC4 scared me, because of a lot of variables. I do feel that DB air should be easier to tune than the RC4 and I like the almost infinite tunability, but it is also what scares me.

You have six quasi-independent degrees of freedom (air pressure, LSC, HSC, LSR, HSR, and canister size) and you need to dial these in for your ride style and suspension characteristics. It will be interesting to hear the feedback.

mtbr member
    200g weight penalty for a high-end extremely tunable shock is a no brainer to me. Thanks for the shots!

mtbr member
    When I get home I will weigh my coil with a spring and post back.

For some reason, I think it's 628g with a 450 ti spring, but don't quote me on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! View Post
    I am intrigued, but also scared of this shock. In the same way that that the RC4 scared me, because of a lot of variables. I do feel that DB air should be easier to tune than the RC4 and I like the almost infinite tunability, but it is also what scares me.

You have six quasi-independent degrees of freedom (air pressure, LSC, HSC, LSR, HSR, and canister size) and you need to dial these in for your ride style and suspension characteristics. It will be interesting to hear the feedback.
    CCDB's are nothing to be scared of. I find them to be way easier to tune to your riding style than any other shock I've owned. Even though each setting is micro-tuneable you can feel a difference with each turn of the dial. You can also feel how independent each of the settings are of each other, which makes a huge difference. The tricky part I found was that it's hard to tell what YOU like. You'll try a setting and it will feel good. You'll make a change and feel the change but it still feels good. On most of the other shocks there is a small range of settings that keep the shock feeling good.

What's slick with Knolly is they are making the tuning easier by providing a "base tune". So now you simply set your sag and then make minor tweaks every so often. If you get lost in your settings just revert back to default and try again.

I've had my CCDB coil for about 5 years on various bikes and it's been a rockstar in my mind. I was skeptical about the air but Mr. Knolly has given it rave reviews. I'm pretty stoked to give it a whirl. End of Feb can't come soon enough.

mtbr member
    Cooool. Let us know how it works.

So, if I ordered a Chilcotin frame with CCDB air today from my friendly Knolly dealer when could I expect delivery of said frame and shock? April?
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Cooool. Let us know how it works.

So, if I ordered a Chilcotin frame with CCDB air today from my friendly Knolly dealer when could I expect delivery of said frame and shock? April?
    Hey Krob:

I personally think you would be absolutely super stoked on this setup for the riding that you do!

So, yes April is still a possibility, but I wouldn't wait long because April is going to change to June really quickly, especially once the next batch of frames hit the market shortly.

Cheers!
    Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

We agree. That's why Noel has offered to come to everyone's house and custom tune your DB-air, free of charge!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    When I get home I will weigh my coil with a spring and post back.

For some reason, I think it's 628g with a 450 ti spring, but don't quote me on that.
    So I was a bit off. Here's the weights for comparison sake. Identical sized CCDB coil with Chilcotin mounting hardware:

w/450 ti spring: 703g; w/550 steel spring: 887g

That's a significant savings no matter which spring material you go with.

And I can second Woodyak's comments. I've had a few CCDB's on various frames, and each time they've been just flat out awesome. And I also find them easy to tune, once you understand what the settings do.

Is it the end of February yet???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Initial ride report:

I weigh 210lbs RTR and admittedly like soft suspension. I ride my Chilcotin rp23 at 185psi for proper sag, and ride my Delirium DB-coil with #450. Now get this... proper sag and feel with the DB-air was achieved at 150psi!

The air volume in this shock is massive, and it translates directly into the ride feel. The best word I can use to describe the feel of the stroke is "rounder". I guess a more widely accepted term might be "more linear", but that's not exactly what I felt. What I mean is, the initial force used to initiate the stroke had less of a spike to it, and the same applied at the end of the stroke. So the air volume basically softens the edges of how the shock begins and ends movement, giving it a rounder feel.

Traction was slightly improved since the bike sits deeper and more comfortably in it's sag point during successive hits. This is reminiscent of the DB-coil and how it feels undersprung in the parking lot, but on the trail(at speed)the HSC circuit keeps any bottoming issues in check.

I didn't do any long extended runs, but I have to imagine that the sheer girth and large air volume of this shock will keep overheating to a minimum, certainly when compared to any other air shock currently on the market.

So far so good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms View Post
    We agree. That's why Noel has offered to come to everyone's house and custom tune your DB-air, free of charge!
    Awesome - I better stock up on some high end whiskey for his visit! Santa Claus = cookies and milk, Noel = whiskey and beer At the moment they both remain figments of my imagination

mtbr member
    Awesome - I better stock up on some high end whiskey for his visit! Santa Claus = cookies and milk, Noel = whiskey and beer At the moment they both remain figments of my imagination
    Just make sure that you're wearing your regular clothes - I don't want to arrive and find you sitting next to the fire place in a negligee!!!

Noel Buckley
    ------------------
    www.knollybikes.com

Instead of PMs, please contact me here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Just make sure that you're wearing your regular clothes - I don't want to arrive and find you sitting next to the fire place in a negligee!!!

Please don't associate my visits to those experienced at DOMINATOR's house!

mtbr member
    Hey Dusty,

SoCal Chilcotin with DB-Air demo please...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tmpaints View Post
    Hey Dusty,

SoCal Chilcotin with DB-Air demo please...
    Can you hoist your leg over an XL?

mtbr member
    Can you hoist your leg over an XL?
    At 6'1" I ride a Large DT... I'll gladly take my chances on an XL. Currently in Indy on business. I'll contact you when I return.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    At 6'1" I ride a Large DT... I'll gladly take my chances on an XL. Currently in Indy on business. I'll contact you when I return.

Thanks...
    Where in So Cal are you? I have a large you can throw a leg over. I am 6'1" and love the fit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-AIR View Post
    Where in So Cal are you? I have a large you can throw a leg over. I am 6'1" and love the fit.
    I'm a transplanted PA guy living now in Calabasas; regretfully among but not one of the Calabass-holes...

Thanks in advance for the offer.

mtbr member
    I'm a transplanted PA guy living now in Calabasas; regretfully among but not one of the Calabass-holes...

Thanks in advance for the offer.
    Cool. I'm right over the hill in the Santa Monica area. Maybe we can organize a ride with Dusty and you can give both bikes a try.

TG

mtbr member

!#*?!#%&@!

Please don't associate my visits to those experienced at DOMINATOR's house!
    Now I'm going to have nightmares!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knollybikes.com View Post
    Hey Krob:

I personally think you would be absolutely super stoked on this setup for the riding that you do!

So, yes April is still a possibility, but I wouldn't wait long because April is going to change to June really quickly, especially once the next batch of frames hit the market shortly.

Cheers!
    I think you're right. Built up around 32-33 lbs with the CCDB air it should handle most everything I'm currently doing on the DT and still handle everything the 5 Spot is doing just as well.

Then I can beef out the DT for more dedicated DH/FR stuff (and start saving for the 2013 Delirium of course )

Saving my pennies, Noel. Saving my pennies.
    June may be a better time table for me anyway.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Initial ride report:

I weigh 210lbs RTR and admittedly like soft suspension. I ride my Chilcotin rp23 at 185psi for proper sag, and ride my Delirium DB-coil with #450. Now get this... proper sag and feel with the DB-air was achieved at 150psi!

The air volume in this shock is massive, and it translates directly into the ride feel. The best word I can use to describe the feel of the stroke is "rounder". I guess a more widely accepted term might be "more linear", but that's not exactly what I felt. What I mean is, the initial force used to initiate the stroke had less of a spike to it, and the same applied at the end of the stroke. So the air volume basically softens the edges of how the shock begins and ends movement, giving it a rounder feel.

Traction was slightly improved since the bike sits deeper and more comfortably in it's sag point during successive hits. This is reminiscent of the DB-coil and how it feels undersprung in the parking lot, but on the trail(at speed)the HSC circuit keeps any bottoming issues in check.

I didn't do any long extended runs, but I have to imagine that the sheer girth and large air volume of this shock will keep overheating to a minimum, certainly when compared to any other air shock currently on the market.

So far so good.
    How's the mid-stroke support?

Yebo Numzaan
    sign me up. Pretty stoked with the modified RP23...but cant say no to cool new sh1t.
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Muttonchops View Post
    .but cant say no to cool new sh1t.
    It's a disease. They have support groups for this.

Yebo Numzaan
    I didnt say i wanted to be cured ...and this is a support group (only it makes the conition worse not better)
    I support EMBA

mtbr member
    Dusty have you ridden it enough to have formed a proper opinion?
    Last edited by wilks; 02-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Is the CCDB air similar in ride quality to its famous coil version? Or is air still alot lacking in ride quality compared to coils?

%$#$*!
    Dusty, you were testing out x-fusion for a while weren't you? I'm curious how the CCDBair compares to the Vector Air HLR. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tom34 View Post
    Is the CCDB air similar in ride quality to its famous coil version? Or is air still alot lacking in ride quality compared to coils?
    I'm finding the air version to be MORE active than the coil version. I'm finding no drawbacks to air version so far, and I'm still playing with all the adjustability.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beefmagic View Post
    Dusty, you were testing out x-fusion for a while weren't you? I'm curious how the CCDBair compares to the Vector Air HLR. Any thoughts would be most appreciated!
    I'm supposed to get a Vector Air in the next couple weeks, and I'll circle back on this thread.

mtbr member
    Hey Noel/Dusty,

What about those of us (Maybe just me) that received their Chili sans shock? Can we order one through Knollybikes or order from CC?

If knolly, what kind of price we talking about?

PS: If purchased, I will have a DHX 5.0 air and an old style Endo rear end for sale. Anyone? Bueller?
    Yesterday starts tomorrow, tomorrow starts today, and the problem seems to be we're picking up the pieces on the ricochet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by S.n.a.k.e. View Post
    Hey Noel/Dusty,

What about those of us (Maybe just me) that received their Chili sans shock? Can we order one through Knollybikes or order from CC?

If knolly, what kind of price we talking about?

PS: If purchased, I will have a DHX 5.0 air and an old style Endo rear end for sale. Anyone? Bueller?
    Email me at kevin AT knollybikes DOT com

Bike to the Bone...
    It's a disease. They have support groups for this.
    Yep.... but those groups won't work on him... or on us :P

Members who have read this thread: 0