Armour- Mtbr.com

Thread: Armour

pedal up
    Dec 2009

Armour

gotta few questions re: armour / my armour...

setup:

Just got into the sport and drawing on the wisdom of my ripe old age instantly saw the necessary need for playing protected. Then last year as i awaited the arrival of an XL Delirium i found myself on me hardtail doing a solo ride into the vast expanse of Whistler's Comfortably Numb. I was suppose to be gone for just a short predinner ride and quickly realized was getting deep in, seeing what looked like Green Lake passing in the distance. Having never ridden this infamous trail before, and time management not a strong point, even i knew i had to turn around. Started home. A few strokes later i hung up in my clipins, and barely moving, toppled over a good 8-10' down the singletrack trail side. Hand(s) still on bars, Sidi's still locked to pedals, found myself slammed something good but ok. Bashedbywhoknowswhat to my thigh and a cool looking bit of blood streaming down my knee, hammered my handlebars straight and cautiously continued back.

Well, later that evening... hematoma (see picture below):

Six tubes of Traumeel, two weeks of hobbling, an achilles tendon tender to the touch via gravity and my internal blood leak basically iron poisoning my own meat... and, well, i lost my edge.

just about gave up:

The next day was going to cash it all in and quit the sport before i really began but then said fuc% it and went big on ARMOUR:

Fox knee/shin and elbow/forearm protection... (can pedal up in these babies)

TroyLee D2 Piston carbon full face... (nice)

POC Spine VPD Tee core armour... (highly recommend / can pedal around in it / no other brand out there compares)

Leatt DBX Comp neck brace... (should we really ride down without it)

and the reason i post is:

I knew the POC and the Leatt weren't matched and i'd probably have to do some custom retrofit to the spine section of the POC to make them work together but...

DO I REALLY NEED START CUTTING AWAY CHUNKS OF THE UPPER PORTION OF THE SPINE PROTECTION TO MAKE THEM COHABITATE?

I've yet to run with the Leatt.

i'm going to google away to see if someone's posted the definitive how-to-youtube video on the subject but thought i'd put it past the honourable Knolly gang first.

cheers,

ps. it was really cold when the photo was taken.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Armour-p1100948.jpg  

Armour-p1100984.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    mwuhuhuhuhuhuuuu.....i'm pretty sure you could have taken that pic with your panties on, but hey what a heck, made me laugh

There's a huge thread going on over here at the german mtb forum evolving around leatt and body armour compatibility. I'll look into it, but i'm almost sure DBX works just fine with POC. Later....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Here it is....

pedal up
    Dec 2009

1000 words

Quote Originally Posted by madafaka
    mwuhuhuhuhuhuuuu.....i'm pretty sure you could have taken that pic with your panties on, but hey what a heck, made me laugh
    (wouldn't had the same impact)

Quote Originally Posted by madafaka
    There's a huge thread going on over here at the german mtb forum evolving around leatt and body armour compatibility. I'll look into it, but i'm almost sure DBX works just fine with POC. Later....
    thanks for the info and pics... i'll try putting the largest spacers in the brace and see if it sit psuedo flat. i'm sure its best next to the skin. fitted properly there's suppose to be no spaces/gaps between where the front of the brace and its back lie against your body.

the pic you have there with the Leatt over top of the POC shows a pretty good gap between the front underside of the brace and the chest protection of the POC.

on golden pond,
    biobike

mtbr member
    any link to that German thread? These are the ones I could find:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...=222365&page=2

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232819

http://www.vorb.org.nz/neck-braces-l...s-t111677.html

I have both (POC Chest and Leatt 2011), but have not had the chance to get them on, whilst riding. I have also torn the shoulder on the POC. I may just try some sort of 'modifed' version, as the last rider suggested (without straps)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington, Oregon, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming

pedal up
    Dec 2009

safety second

Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought
    any link to that German thread? These are the ones I could find:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...=222365&page=2

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232819

http://www.vorb.org.nz/neck-braces-l...s-t111677.html

I have both (POC Chest and Leatt 2011), but have not had the chance to get them on, whilst riding. I have also torn the shoulder on the POC. I may just try some sort of 'modifed' version, as the last rider suggested (without straps)
    haven't searched for those crazyGerman's link... though if anyone could engineer their way to a solution...

did stick the largest 30spacer in my Leatt last eve and it felt best with the back thoracic support resting outside and on top of the spineback gaurd and the frontlower part of the Leatt zipped under and inside the chest protection of the tee.

though this said and done, right in the Leatt literature on a section re: Leatt and armour it clearly stated that the back thoracic support of the brace should be resting on your body, under the spine armour, and the front can be dialed in as i test fitted above.

(i'm surprised how little attention this post (maybe it was the pic) and the armour contingent in general seems to receive)(as a kid i use to ride my road bike everywhere - no helmut. s hit i give'r around town doing upwards of 80km/hr... my skull woulda looked like... ahhhh)...

let's keep the dialogue alive, i'm going to do a light pedal upride this week - Burnaby Mtn or Ned's - fully suited and see how she feels.

Members who have read this thread: 0