XLT the right choice?- Mtbr.com
    dude

XLT the right choice?

Hi all,

Looking around for a new frame and I'm wondering if the XLT is the right choice for me. Currently riding an 16.5" 05 komodo (Mostly Stock) w/454 Pike on it - I really like the geo of the komodo and the XLT looks similar. I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and my riding style is pretty much do-it-all except full on-DH and freeride. I want to do 20+ mile xc rides as well as whistler (B-Line, Crank it up, maybe A-Line?) and maybe some Black diamond runs at W. some day. I would probably swap parts from my Komodo to the XLT but try to keep things light-ish. Not trying to win races, just have fun.

Am I looking at the right bike? The Parker looks good too, but I'm looking at XLT's for less than half the cost of the new parker frameset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoedotorg
    Hi all,

Looking around for a new frame and I'm wondering if the XLT is the right choice for me. Currently riding an 16.5" 05 komodo (Mostly Stock) w/454 Pike on it - I really like the geo of the komodo and the XLT looks similar. I'm 5'9", 150 lbs and my riding style is pretty much do-it-all except full on-DH and freeride. I want to do 20+ mile xc rides as well as whistler (B-Line, Crank it up, maybe A-Line?) and maybe some Black diamond runs at W. some day. I would probably swap parts from my Komodo to the XLT but try to keep things light-ish. Not trying to win races, just have fun.

Am I looking at the right bike? The Parker looks good too, but I'm looking at XLT's for less than half the cost of the new parker frameset.

1. Yes, the XLT was a nice frame for myself.
    2. Whaddayagonna do with the Komodo? (what yr is it?)

dude
    prolly get rid of it - wife doesn't want too many bikes around - it's an 05.

oh Jolina!!!
    I do epic xc climbs on my XLT.

Not the lightest bike, but it's fun on the way down.

I think it's perfect for your riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    prolly get rid of it - wife doesn't want too many bikes around - it's an 05.
    Ya...PM me a price.

dude
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Ya...PM me a price.
    Sure, gotta get the XLT first tho.

Has anyone had trouble with the bearings? I've read about delicate bearings in the upper rear triangle where it meets the shock. Enduro bearings are $30 a kit - will those hold up better than stock?
    Last edited by joeyjoedotorg; 09-02-2008 at 10:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sure, gotta get the XLT first tho.

Has anyone had trouble with the bearings? I've read about delicate bearings in the upper rear triangle where it meets the shock. Enduro bearings are $30 a kit - will those hold up better than stock?
    Just replace them as you go. Enduro's are a little better though.

dude
    Sounds good. If anyone sees a good deal for a 2005 or later 17" XLT, please let me know.

Members who have read this thread: 0