XAM 1 - 2 Thoughts - Feelings...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

XAM 1 - 2 Thoughts - Feelings...

Hey all,

Just pulled the trigger on an '08 XAM 1 !! Should be on my doorstep in about a week. I'm looking for feedback from other XAM riders...would love to know where to change/upgrade the bike...or just general reviews on performance. This is my first Jamis...I'm looking forward to it.

Chris

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've got an 07 XAM, wish i had an 08 though, that extra inch makes the rear feel tons better

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I picked up my 08' XAM back in Feb. and so far i love the bike man! I didnt get to ride it much until recently because i was still nursing an injury that ended my season last year,but now that i've been riding it hard the past 2 months its been great. So far the only thing i dislike a little bit is the BB height. It feels kind of low. I tend to hit rocks and roots on some of the more techy sections i ride,and also at the top of some of the platforms i ride on. So far its no biggie. Its my 2nd Jamis and I think it was worth every penny!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It labors going uphill, but nice and squishy going downhill

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Adler
    It labors going uphill, but nice and squishy going downhill
    It is a bit of a pig on the bigger hills until you get use to it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Foolin with the setup

I felt my 07 XAM 2 required a little more effort ascending until I spent a little more time figuring out the rear setup. I'm 170lbs geared up with water pak. After about 10 rides, slightly adjusting various trims I have found a setup that sprints up the hill, holds a line on a fast descent. I'm running 135lbs in the main for a 15mm sag, Booster 125lbs, rebound only 2 clicks clockwise, propedal 9 clicks clockwise to get up the mountain and reduce to 6 clicks for everything else. With this setup the bike is responsive to clear logs and rocks over 18" high as the rear doesn't squat when you need to explode out of the saddle to clear obstacles. Reducing the propedal down to 6 clicks gives me almost full travel with a small 1/4 buffer on shock travel, for a really hard hit. There are so many adjustments, sag is easy, but the other 3 are so interdependant that it takes a lot of experimentation, noting the effects and the trying again. Invest the time and ye shall be rewarded.

Members who have read this thread: 0