Who's Riding the XAMs?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    loser

Who's Riding the XAMs?

I was just noticing everyone of the other Jamis bikes has a thread, so I thought I'd start this one for XAM riders. It seems like there aren't too many XAMs out there. I'm just wondering where everyone's hiding.

I'm going into my second season on my 08 Dakar XAM 2.0 and love this bike. I've been riding it all over Southern NH for the past season and have noticed a drastic improvement in my riding since getting on this bike. Overall, it's a fantastic ride. I know there are more people rippin' around on these. Let's hear about it, and see some pictures!

Mines pretty much stock, but have replaced the rear wheel, and will be adding a 10mm TA next week. I also just replaced the Easton AM 100mm stem with a 65mm Havoc . So far, I'm totally impressed with the capability of the bike and Jamis support.

Here's my set up, for what it's worth:
    19" 2008 Dakar XAM 2.0 Frame - new rear triangle
    Gravity MotoX crank
    Easton Havoc 65mm Stem (Jenson USA)
    Fox 36 RC2
    Fox DHX Air 5.0
    Syncros/Jamis OE Front hub w/Mavic XM 317
    Shimano Deore w/WTB SpeedDisc XL rear (just bought a Syncros Factory Rear w/10mm TA (www.pricepoint.com) going to attach to WTB SpeedDisc XL). I busted my OE rear hub, thus the replacement - it was cheap and works really well.
    Juicy 5s
    Hutchinson Toro 2.35 rear - totally awesome tire for New Hampshire trails
    Maxxis Minion DH F 2.35 front
    That's the lion-share of important parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    09 XAM2. mostly stock. upgraded to a 203/185 rotor setup. have a raceface 65mm stem and the syncros 90mm that i alternate. wider raceface evolve DH bars. factory wheels and a set of outlaws depending on where im riding. hammerschmidt and joplin seatpost make life great. i love the bike. jamis forum doesnt get enough traffic

why did jamis put 317s on this bike? i would have put up the extra $50 for some real rims.

loser
    That is a SWEET set up. When I snapped my dropout, I was praying it was the XM 317. I agree, an extra $50 for some Outlaws - stock - would have been excellent. The OE Syncros rear hub is iffy too.

Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

my xam

the bike performs well but im worried about the dropouts coz many parker and xam users here in the philippines broke their chainstay just because of a simple bunny hop.dont know why those chainstays snap.i been using my xam for almost a year now i do drops and jumps but the bike works just fine anyways heres my simple setup

mtbr member
    did you have an air shock first and swap it out? ive been wanting to get a coil.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yup i swapped it with a dhx coil from a giant reign so the travel became 6.7 inches but the i2i length is still the same.coil shocks are more progressive and fun to ride on jumps and drops.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here's my 2007 XAM 1.0, the shorter travel first year model (140mm front/130mm rear). Love this bike, especially since the head angle is slacker than it was advertised as (the catalog spec said 68.5 degree, but mine is 67.5 degree).
    Set up is as follows:
    19" frame, used a small piece of aluminum stock to tie the bell crank/rocker links together to stiffen things up abit, and also flipped the stock DHX Air 3.0.
    Fox Float RL fork, swapped the stock lowers for a 15QR, shortened the air piston rod
    20mm and re-shimmed the damper on the compression side.
    Titec El Norte Pro-lite bars w/75mm Raceface Evolve XC stem
    Avid Juicy 7's 185mm front/160mm rear
    WTB Speed Disc Trail rims w/Chris King hubs (still need to get the conversion axle for the front hub, so there is a Shimano M-758 hub up front temporarily).
    The Hive Fifteen-G cranks, Blackspire 36-24 chainrings, Blackspire Stinger, Raceface bashguard.
    Shimano M-424 pedals.
    Sram X-0 shifters/rear derailleur, Shimano SLX front derailleur.
    Shimano XT 11-34 cassette.
    AMP seatpost (1"-3" drop) w/Ritchey WCS saddle.
    Click the thumbnails for full size.

" width="549">
    " width="549">

loser
    Thanks for posting! Are the zip ties custom?
    I'd probably shed a pound if i could get rid of zip ties on my bike.

Thanks also for the close up of the brace on the bell crank. That's exactly what I had in mind. Glad to hear it works well.

Now I'm wondering about what Vinceboy said about getting to 6.7" travel with a coil. That's interesting.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    @bigjim yes my rear travel became 6.7inches because as you can see i change my rear shock to coil and it came from a giant reign x2 which has 6.7 inches of travel with fox oem dhx 3 coil.the giant reign x2 and jamis xam have the same shock i2i length which is 7.875 to be exact but the stroke of the dhx 3 is 2.35 which is longer than the dhx air 2.25 stroke thats why the rear travel of my bike was changed to 6.7inches of travel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vinceboy
    @bigjim yes my rear travel became 6.7inches because as you can see i change my rear shock to coil and it came from a giant reign x2 which has 6.7 inches of travel with fox oem dhx 3 coil.the giant reign x2 and jamis xam have the same shock i2i length which is 7.875 to be exact but the stroke of the dhx 3 is 2.35 which is longer than the dhx air 2.25 stroke thats why the rear travel of my bike was changed to 6.7inches of travel.
    wouldnt travel have more to do with your linkage than just dropping an incorrectly sized shock in there? is your rear triangle actually moving further than with a correct shock? have you measures an extra 3/4" or are you just assuming?

just curious
    Last edited by blue109; 04-18-2010 at 05:00 PM.

loser
    Quote Originally Posted by blue109
    wouldnt travel have more to do with your linkage than just dropping an incorrectly sized shock in there? is your rear triangle actually moving further than with a correct shock? have you measures and extra 3/4" or are you just assuming?

just curious
    It would, in fact, require an alteration to the linkage - like moving the front mount forward 1/2", enough to accommodate a longer stroke shock. The 2.63:1 compression ratio with that coil shock at a 2.34 stroke only delivers 6.15" of travel. The Reign probably has a 2.85:1 compression ratio. Which makes sense.
    Show your work:
    Jamis - 2.63(compression) X 2.25(stroke) = 5.9175 (6" travel)
    Reign - 2.85(compression) X 2.35(stroke) = 6.6975 (6.7" travel)

Any way, there's the Sunday evening math lesson.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Jamis - 7.875 shock i2i length 2.63(compression) X 2.25(stroke) = 5.9175 (6" travel)
    Reign - 7.875 shock i2i length 2.85(compression) X 2.35(stroke) = 6.6975 (6.7" travel)

fyi: jamis and reign have the same shock i2i length which means there is no assuming,alteration or modification in the linkage nor the rear triangle

shock i2i is the measurement from the center of the eyelet on one end to the center of the eyelet on the opposite end.

hope this works
    Last edited by vinceboy; 04-18-2010 at 05:42 PM.

loser
    Quote Originally Posted by vinceboy
    Jamis - 7.875 shock i2i length 2.63(compression) X 2.25(stroke) = 5.9175 (6" travel)
    Reign - 7.875 shock i2i length 2.85(compression) X 2.35(stroke) = 6.6975 (6.7" travel)

fyi: jamis and reign have the same shock i2i length which means there is no assuming,alteration or modification in the linkage nor the rear triangle

shock i2i is the measurement from the center of the eyelet on one end to the center of the eyelet on the opposite end.

hope this works
    Exactly. You can't get 6.7" out of the current Jamis design.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    just got a 09 xam ll yesterday, pretty sweet bike so far... pics later, but it is stock so far....

dont see many of these? why?

mtbr member
    because MSRP on them was retarded high and theres lots of proven bikes in that price range. i bought mine because i got a smokin deal, but ive never looked back. i love this bike. was doing shuttle DH runs a few weeks ago. i was the only single-crown bike in the group
    UPDATE...swapped to a DHX5 coil. i really didnt like it the first 4 or 5 rides, and was on the verge of swapping back to air. my last ride everything must have finally gotten broke-in or seated or whatever but its awesome. much nicer on the drops-to-flat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thats sweet!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I would like to know how are these bikes for climbing steep New England rocky trails. I am wondering since the XAMs have some nice features but I am concerned they might not be good in the climbing department.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i like the way it climbes so far... almost like a xc bike... but with long travel..

mtbr member
    mines set up soooper soft, with heavy wheels and a 50mm stem. not the best climber. ive ridden better and ive ridden worse. two of my friends just bought pivot firebirds and those things can climb like crazy (but i like my xam better)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    mines set up soooper soft, with heavy wheels and a 50mm stem. not the best climber. ive ridden better and ive ridden worse. two of my friends just bought pivot firebirds and those things can climb like crazy (but i like my xam better)

how much sag are you running? air pressure? your weight? and riding style?

mtbr member
    probably a little over 25%sag front and rear.have a 450# spring on the rear with the boost valve pressure between 80-100. i run the propedal almost all the way off most of the time. no idea about my shock air pressure but i like it soft. i weigh 170 without gear. i like ugly rocky downhill stuff and big steep slippery rocks, but you have to ride up before you go down around here so i get plenty of climbing in.

mtbr member
    about 8 months of rocky mean AZ abuse on the XAM. just spent 2 days doing lift-served DH. no cracks yet.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    hey blue,
    i need some help on the rear shock, i too would like to switch to a coil, how did you pick the one you got, im not sure on the i to i length and stroke?
    give me some advice on swapping to a coil....

thanks....

ps, what tires do you run and at what air pressure?

mtbr member
    factory is 7.875x2.25

shooting you a PM with details
    Last edited by blue109; 08-02-2010 at 05:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    factory is 7.875x2.25

shooting you a PM with details

thanks for the info!!

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007

Ride a XAM

I love this bike. I ride very rocky, very technical trails in north NJ. All rock XC trails!!!!

This bike has plenty of suspension, but yet has a great pedal platform. I climb better on this then any other bike and i ride the Xam 1 which is a heavy bike.

The other point i love about this bike is the ride quality, very xc like, handles twisty like a charm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    has anyone run a 2.4 on the rear of the xam's?
    i just ordered 2 big betty's and hope it will fit the rear...
    any input on this?

loser

NE trails

Quote Originally Posted by cbsbyte
    I would like to know how are these bikes for climbing steep New England rocky trails. I am wondering since the XAMs have some nice features but I am concerned they might not be good in the climbing department.
    Hey dude,

I've been riding a XAM 2.0 for the last year and a half up in New Hampshire. I'm not going back to anything else. This bike is perfect for the type of trails we have in New England, in my opinion. It climbs exceptionally well, and is very responsive, and descending, the 6" of travel make it float. The XAM can certainly dominate the roots, rocks and tight techy trails we have up here. Just get a 50 or 60mm stem, depending on your size. I have a 19 with a 65mm stem, and it makes the bike very nimble more balanced.

loser
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    any input on this?
    I have a 2.35 Nevegal on there now, and it's close on the non-drive side, but still enough clearance, even in the mud, loam and tacky dirt up here in NH.

I had a 2.35 Hutchinson Toro, and there was more than enough clearance. So, I don't know how the 2.4 big betty's compare to either of those tires, but I imagine it'll be close, but it'll work.

loser

set up

Hey man,

I have a XAM 2.0 - I'm 6' 185lbs with a 65mm Easton Havoc Stem, WTB SpeedDisc Wheels with Syncros DH hubs, and a 10mm FireEye QR TA skewer in the back (not the lightest wheels).

I have about 25% SAG in both front and back, I'm st 65PSI in the front, pretty slow rebound and have about 100PSI in the resevoir on the back, with the damping a 1/4 turn from all the way out and rebound to match the front. My rig is real cushy. I was running it real stiff last season, then had the local Fox dealer tune it "the way it was supposed to be" and figured I'd try it out for a ride. I hated it, but then kept the settings, and now 4 months later, I notice I have an easier time clearing big features, and the suspension seems more compliant with the different smaller obstacles in the trail, such as roots and rocks.

I can definitely charge the climbs - probably because of pushing the rig around so much - and downhills are a hoot.

mtbr member
    any input on this?
    just tossed my DH rear wheel on my XAM. michelin 2.4 on a bomber rim. close but fits fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    any input on this?

they fit great, and stick like crazy.... and roll very very good!!!!!!!! love this tire...

meow meow
    does anyone know if the 09 xam 1 has iscg mounts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    does anyone know if the 09 xam 1 has iscg mounts?

yes it does.....

meow meow
    just ordered an xam. cant wait for columbus day weekend! so pumped!

meow meow
    any particular reason the shock is facing the way it is on the 08/09 models? cuz if theres not im gonna flip it around, imo looks a little goofy.

mtbr member
    you mean so the res. hangs down? might be hard to get to the propedal adjustment around the linkage.

on second look, the res will probably hit frame any other way .

meow meow
    no like imagine the way the 2010's have the shock but a dhx air with the res facing up.

mtbr member
    as long at it doesnt hit the TT it will work the same either way. just test it before you ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    anyone seen a 2010 jamis xam ll?
    i have not seen no pics of any on here,
    seen them on jamis.com.....but not in a store,or on line,or in a pic thread..
    id you have on post up the pics....

meow meow
    anyone seen a 2010 jamis xam ll?
    i have not seen no pics of any on here,
    seen them on jamis.com.....but not in a store,or on line,or in a pic thread..
    id you have on post up the pics....
    jamisbikes.com now has 2011 bikes up, they discountinued the xam. ive never encountered one but one the jamis site they looked unchanged for 2010 except they used a rp23 instead of a dhx air and modified/ beefed up the chain stays/ drop out pivot. colors were brown and white i think. or maybe raw for the II. i forget.

meow meow
    just got my 08 xam. all stock except for panaracer rampages, easton havoc 65mm stem, wtb shadow saddle, crank bros eggbeaters, and i took the big ring off. this bike rides great, so far the 55 has been awesome but i guess time will tell. underwelmed with the juicy threes though, perhaps i still have to break them in but it felt like my old trektros had more power.

mtbr member
    nice. what size frame is that? my 17 hardly has any room between the TT and the shock?

meow meow
    nice. what size frame is that? my 17 hardly has any room between the TT and the shock?
    19'', fits my lanky body nicely. also forgot to mention the color, its way nicer in person, almost a maroonish-purple. so far i am super happy with it for riding in vermont.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I like that.

od you still have your parker?

meow meow
    my dad has it now. hes far to old to be riding around on a rigid.

mtbr member
    beautiful day out with the XAM

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes I USED to ride a 2008 XAM-2 until I broke the damn chainstay twice in three months. I know everyone says this, but I broke them on really light duty stuff, 1.5 ft drop to flat and similar jump to flat. I was thankful that it didn't happen bombing through a rock garden or something. I switched to a Sette Venom and while it is def no lightweight and no name brand, it is built like a tank and came with a Vivid 5.1 for 300 bucks. I have no qualms about thrashing that thing, it feels super sold esp in the back where the XAM was definitely flexy.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    Yes I USED to ride a 2008 XAM-2 until I broke the damn chainstay twice in three months. I know everyone says this, but I broke them on really light duty stuff, 1.5 ft drop to flat and similar jump to flat. I was thankful that it didn't happen bombing through a rock garden or something. I switched to a Sette Venom and while it is def no lightweight and no name brand, it is built like a tank and came with a Vivid 5.1 for 300 bucks. I have no qualms about thrashing that thing, it feels super sold esp in the back where the XAM was definitely flexy.
    sounds like you were using an am bike for freeride judging by the frame you have now. not saying jamis dont have a history of breaking just you were using the wrong tool for the job.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I may have been doing light freeride, but nothing crazy at all, no drops of more than a few feet to a transition and no huge jumps, again nothing more than a few feet off the ground, mainly speed through rock gardens and technical rock sections. I got the new frame mainly because it was so cheap and I was tight on money. Granted, it may suit the riding I am doing a little better, except the geo sucks for climbing, but I still feel that the XAM which was billed as a solid AM bike should have handled what I was doing just fine. To their credit, they did replace the first chainstay for free, we will see about the next one....

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo4429
    I may have been doing light freeride, but nothing crazy at all, no drops of more than a few feet to a transition and no huge jumps, again nothing more than a few feet off the ground, mainly speed through rock gardens and technical rock sections. I got the new frame mainly because it was so cheap and I was tight on money. Granted, it may suit the riding I am doing a little better, except the geo sucks for climbing, but I still feel that the XAM which was billed as a solid AM bike should have handled what I was doing just fine. To their credit, they did replace the first chainstay for free, we will see about the next one....
    oh in that case yeah it should have held up but if jamis is notorious for one thing....

mtbr member
    ive done lift served DH days on my xam twice this year....and a normal day of riding consists of numerous ugly drops to flat and crunchy fast rock gardens. im also not what you might consider "smooth" and crash alot. not a single maintenance issue to date outside of having the fork and hammerschmidt in for standard service.

building a dedicated freeride rig right now so the xam can take a breather but its done well so far
    that venom looks like a smokin deal though....

i be lurkin
    if i were to buy one would it break doing the occasional 4-5 foot drop, bunny hops, freeride/single track, doing curb jumps and stoppies/wheeleys on my street.
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

meow meow
    everyones experience seem pretty mixed, kind of a crapshoot. how much do you weigh/ will the drop be to tranny?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by doesyourchainhanglow
    if i were to buy one would it break doing the occasional 4-5 foot drop, bunny hops, freeride/single track, doing curb jumps and stoppies/wheeleys on my street.

i think you will be fine,
    i weight 220 and ride hard 3 to 4 days a week when i can and no problems yet,i think they beefed them up in 09 so not sure about the later models...

meow meow
    i think you will be fine,
    i weight 220 and ride hard 3 to 4 days a week when i can and no problems yet,i think they beefed them up in 09 so not sure about the later models...
    i think mid production run in 08 they redesigned the seatstay and kept it the same for 09 and in 2010 it looks substanaly beefed up.

mtbr member
    09 XAMIIs on jenson for 1999+free shipping. the build kit is worth more than that! good deal on BAMs also. i would recommend this bike to anyone. trying to get a friend to buy one right now.

i be lurkin

sorry

sorry my ADD brain forgot to put my weight so its 110... im very scrawny for a freshman

i be lurkin
    09 XAMIIs on jenson for 1999+free shipping. the build kit is worth more than that! good deal on BAMs also. i would recommend this bike to anyone. trying to get a friend to buy one right now.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+Bike+08.aspx
    good deal?

mtbr member
    pretty good..but thats an 08. id stick to 09s. if you could possibly spring for the 09 xam2 you will love life.
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...i+Bike+09.aspx

i just noticed it went back to 2449. it was 1999 last night. such a good deal.

i be lurkin
    why not 08s; is it because of the chain stays breaking? oh and what is the chain stay i have no clue, im guessing its the bottem of the rear triangle but i dont know. right last thing is that my budget is only around a thousand so the parker or xam would be my best bet. and b-kul the drop would be to flat; its on the sid of my house.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Chain- sounds to me like a parker would be better suited for your riding. I absolutely love mine, it did break a stay a few months ago- but last weekend I absolutely dogged the **** out of it riding DH. If it were going to snap again, that would have been the time. So far so good. But, the xam is more towards AM and the parker is more towards FR, so either choice is good, but one is going to be slightly better at one than the other for what your doing obviously.

meow meow
    actually yeah the parker may be a little more your style. slacker, lower, more fr oriented nut can still rip trails. http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...I+Bike+09.aspx really nice spec for $1000. should hold up fine.

i be lurkin
    ya but its ****in 36 pounds, thats as much as a gt fury witch is insane

EDIT i was looking at the pic and it looks like i could put a longer shock on thar, would that be possible?
    Last edited by doesyourchainhanglow; 11-03-2010 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    So what if its 36lbs. The xam is 35. Get it and ride it. You will get stronger.

The shock- I wouldnt. You could probably fit a 7.875x2.25 in there, but the linkage is designed to work within a given range. Besides, 4" is fine if you have your suspension dialed in right. Its all about quality of travel, not quantity.

i be lurkin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00
    So what if its 36lbs. The xam is 35. Get it and ride it. You will get stronger.

The shock- I wouldnt. You could probably fit a 7.875x2.25 in there, but the linkage is designed to work within a given range. Besides, 4" is fine if you have your suspension dialed in right. Its all about quality of travel, not quantity.
    ya i now what you mean but like, i have a C rush and it has the older version of that very shock. oh also is the suspension plush or xc bike feeling

Hot Pursuit
    Just picked her up! I couldn't resist the impulsive buy!

I know the "man-cave" is getting all cluttered with bikes.

meow meow
    ya but its ****in 36 pounds, thats as much as a gt fury witch is insane

EDIT i was looking at the pic and it looks like i could put a longer shock on thar, would that be possible?
    be realistic here. you want a light yet strong bike capable of hucking for cheap. something has gotta give. and its not even that heavy, replace the nevs with a lighter quicker tire and you have a faster bike that is about a pound lighter.

i be lurkin
    be realistic here. you want a light yet strong bike capable of hucking for cheap. something has gotta give. and its not even that heavy, replace the nevs with a lighter quicker tire and you have a faster bike that is about a pound lighter.
    i kno but the santa cruz v10 is lighter even if the quality isnt the same

meow meow
    i kno but the santa cruz v10 is lighter even if the quality isnt the same
    a v10 carbon with a vivid air is 36 pounds. but also $7000. comparing the two is like comparing an apple and a chicken. you cant.

mtbr member
    Just picked her up! I couldn't resist the impulsive buy!
    nice man-cave! you will love that bike....id advise a shorter stem though. mine felt way better with a 65. my bikes are house-broken so they get to live inside

even if the quality isnt the same
    are you saying a jamis xam has better quality than a SC V10? lol.
    Last edited by blue109; 11-06-2010 at 10:01 AM.

i be lurkin
    nice man-cave! you will love that bike....is advise a shorter stem though. mine felt way better with a 65.

hell no the santa cruz is way better. ive been looking around and the transition br is also 36 pounds so i guess the jamis is about average.

mtbr member
    my xam2 is at 36lbs with heavier wheels, bigger rotors, heavier bars and a coil shock. i think it was just under 34 stock, and a xam1 without a hammerschmidt and joplin seatpost would be at least a pound lighter.

i be lurkin
    nice man-cave! you will love that bike....is advise a shorter stem though. mine felt way better with a 65.

hell no the santa cruz is way better. ive been looking around and the transition br is also 36 pounds so i guess the jamis is about average.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah, you cant have it all. your average AM/FR bike is between 34-38lbs.

but, my parker will be at 32 this winter. Its going to cost me though.

i be lurkin

ya it still stinks though, oh well its still my best bet for hard riding, as my cannondale prolly cant take much more of what im doing to it.

meow meow
    ok, for all you dhx air users do you get full travel? how? i have a 4.0 and only use about 80% of the stroke according to the o ring. i weigh 160 and have the main chamber set so i get about 30% sag and the piggyback up to like 120 psi. im leery to go any lower in the piggyback because to min pressure is supposed to be 125. any tips on how to get full travel? is this just due to the nature of the shock and i am screwed?

i be lurkin

ya it still stinks though, oh well its still my best bet for hard riding, as my cannondale prolly cant take much more of what im doing to it.

mtbr member
    ok, for all you dhx air users
    nobody seems to like that shock much. notice the '10s went with an RP23 on the XAM. push wont even touch it.

meow meow
    nobody seems to like that shock much. notice the '10s went with an RP23 on the XAM. push wont even touch it.
    meh. i was hoping someone would have great advise but seem like my best bet is getting a rp3 or monarch. its a bummer to have a 6'' bike get like 4.5'' of travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    meh. i was hoping someone would have great advise but seem like my best bet is getting a rp3 or monarch. its a bummer to have a 6'' bike get like 4.5'' of travel.

i get full travel out of mine,not that i like it all that much....

i weigh 210lbs i run 190 in shock and about 170 in boost can
    with propedal off,never use it,and bottom out damper is showing 2 lines
    and i can pop the oring off the shaft on some of the jumps i ride,

my problem is small bump compliance,not where i want it..but it is good enough for now..

i had more problems with the 36 talas,getting it where i wanted it....but i found a spot where i like it,not the best but it will work....

meow meow
    i get full travel out of mine,not that i like it all that much....

i weigh 210lbs i run 190 in shock and about 170 in boost can
    with propedal off,never use it,and bottom out damper is showing 2 lines
    and i can pop the oring off the shaft on some of the jumps i ride,

my problem is small bump compliance,not where i want it..but it is good enough for now..

i had more problems with the 36 talas,getting it where i wanted it....but i found a spot where i like it,not the best but it will work....
    whats your sag at? cuz im using nearly as much psi as i weigh (155psi at 160 lbs.). maybe the key is to run a higher pressure in the piggyback and lower in the main chamber?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    whats your sag at? cuz im using nearly as much psi as i weigh (155psi at 160 lbs.). maybe the key is to run a higher pressure in the piggyback and lower in the main chamber?

sag is about 25 to 30 % and as far as i can tell the boost can changes mid stroke more that anything else,that is what i use for small bump complanice, not sure if its right but it works for now...

icalebkim
    Can I ban doesyourchainhanglow from here? And do you think Santa Cruz is better than Jamis? Whatever argument in which brand is in the minority should not be asked among avid supporters of that brand.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim
    Can I ban doesyourchainhanglow from here? And do you think Santa Cruz is better than Jamis? Whatever argument in which brand is in the minority should not be asked among avid supporters of that brand.
    santa cruz is more expensive more complex, flashier, and has better riders. = better than jamis in his eyes. realisticly i dont think you can really make the statement company x is better than company y.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    all i can say is that i rode a buddy's blur built up at 29lbs and i didnt handle as well as mine built up at 34 lbs... it felt heavyer on the trail and didnt move as easly.. i realy like the way my xam ll rides and handels, not happy with the fork or shock up its ok for me for now....

mtbr member
    i love my xam...but i think santa cruz is better than jamis. in my opinion jamis is a low end bike company that made a few nice bikes. then discontinued those bikes.

i be lurkin
    i love my xam...but i think santa cruz is better than jamis. in my opinion jamis is a low end bike company that made a few nice bikes. then discontinued those bikes.
    are the parkers and xams good ones

meow meow
    are the parkers and xams good ones

imo most of their bikes are nice, xcs, xct, xam, bam, parker.

icalebkim
    Also it sells at a really low price, with good components.

I can't say SantaCruz is my style, however. I'm a hardtail person, although a FS would be nice, I like the challenge faced.

@Doesyourchainhanglow - I agree. A lot of the "cheaper" bikes in Jamis' inventory have good frames and entry level components.

But...

Why do the FS bikes chainstays keep BREAKING?? It certainly seems like it, at least in my own opinion. That's one of the reasons I like hardtail. No complexity compared to FS.

mtbr member
    i dont mean jamis is a bad company, i meant the bread and butter of jamis sales are the $300 bikes. i think the gravity bikes got better every year and they have a chance to really make a name in the high end bike industry soon as they work the bugs out. im hoping they are taking a year or so to do some serious R&D and release some awesome bikes in 2012. ill be there to grab one if they do.

i cant comment on the xc bikes as i have no experience with them, but nobody seems to hate them. decent bikes with good components for a good price.

meow meow
    i dont mean jamis is a bad company, i meant the bread and butter of jamis sales are the $300 bikes. i think the gravity bikes got better every year and they have a chance to really make a name in the high end bike industry soon as they work the bugs out. im hoping they are taking a year or so to do some serious R&D and release some awesome bikes in 2012. ill be there to grab one if they do.

i cant comment on the xc bikes as i have no experience with them, but nobody seems to hate them. decent bikes with good components for a good price.
    for sure. but you could say that about giant, spech, and trek too. it seems like when they switched from horst to fuax bar the rear ends developed some issues. once that is dialed i think they will be one of the premeir big brands.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

sorry no action shots but i ride by-my-self so its hard to ride and snap pics..

mtbr member
    nice! longest seatpost ive ever seen!!!

meow meow
    that is one awesome xam! but its begging for an adjustable seatpost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that is one awesome xam! but its begging for an adjustable seatpost.

that is what i want for x-mas, have to wait and see what santa brings, i hope a reverb!!!!

then a new wheel set and then new hope brakes....

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    is that a g8 gt i see???? that thing must be as much fun as your bikes!!

Hot Pursuit
    Yes sir, that is my Pontiac G8 GT. It's my garage queen and I haven't driven her in over 3 months. Just got sucked up into riding again so she's been neglected. Last time she was on the dyno it was putting down 480hp on pump gas and get about 14mpg on a good downhill stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by mfrench2013
    is that a g8 gt i see???? that thing must be as much fun as your bikes!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 06CVPI
    d. Last time she was on the dyno it was putting down 480hp on pump gas and get about 14mpg on a good downhill stretch.
    nice, moded or stock?? its a shame they stopped making them so soon...

banned
    For those of you who purchased the '09 XAM 2 recently, I have a question regarding the hub set. Did your bike come with Syncros “Race” hubs or the actual FRs that both Jamis and the online store spec it with? The bike that I just received came with “Race” hubs which evidently are a lesser grade. I am awaiting a response from the store regarding this but I was just curious if this was an isolated issue...Thanks
    Last edited by eauxgod; 12-17-2010 at 06:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    For those of you who purchased the '09 XAM 2 recently, I have a question regarding the hub set. Did your bike come with Syncros “Race” hubs or the actual FRs that both Jamis and the online store spec it with? The bike that I just received came with “Race” hubs which evidently are a lesser grade. I am awaiting a response from the store regarding this but I was just curious if this was an isolate issue...Thanks<O</O

how do i tell if they are race or fr?

banned
    how do i tell if they are race or fr?
    They say "Race". Here is Syncros' response to my question regarding the differences:

Hi -
    The FR and the RACE (also known as AM OE) hubs are quite different in nearly every way. The cassette body/ratchet system is different between the 2 models and the FR hubs are our "bombproof" hubs with 6 sealed cartridge bearings in the rear hub and 4 in the front. FR hubs area available in 135 and 150mm spacing in thru-axle configuration while the RACE (AM OE) are 135mm w/ standard quick release for the rear. The FR front hub also has conversion capabilities, which the RACE does not. The RACE is the entry-level Syncros hub set however it does not mean that it is lower quality; the features and spec are different though. I hope this helps a bit. If you have any other questions, let us know.

SYNCROS

Here is Jamis' reponse:

Thank you for your inquiry to JAMIS BICYCLES dated December 15, 2010 regarding your question about your 2009 XAM. We must inform you that the parts spec on all of our models is subject to change throughout the production year. This can be due to limited quantities of parts or a defective issue with the part. Any change that is done to the spec either maintains or exceeds the quality of the original part and will never be downgraded. If you are looking for more specific information on the Syncros Race front hub, we would suggest contacting them directly. We are confidant that you will be impressed with the performance, excitement, and wide range of offroad capabilities that the XAM delivers. If you have any other questions about this or anything else feel free to contact us again.

Yours very truly,
    JAMIS SUPPORT

I am still waiting on a response from the shop who is named after the son of Jen. We'll see...

mtbr member
    nope. mine came with the crap race hubs....and if you look in here someone had them break earlier this year. new wheelset was one of my first upgrades anyway and i keep the stockers for XC rides.

its funny, but ive seen ads for the bike clearly stating FR hubs, but you can see the "race" logo in the pics. oh well. everything else was bling.

Hot Pursuit
    Mine is printed "RACE" on them as well.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    here is my jamis got it a couple weeks ago...i love this bike

icalebkim
    How do YOU pronounce Xam? Zam? Ksam?
    XAM?

mtbr member
    zam i guess. i usually just say "the jamis" though since i seem to be the only one in tucson.

meow meow
    i say x-am but in the interbike vids im pretty sure they say zam so that must be right. btw anyone with an 08 run the prowler ss 2.3s? gonna swap out my rampage in the rear for one tomorrow but dont think i will get a serious ride on it until thursday.

mtbr member
    i bought a pair dirt cheap at nashbar but just have them sitting around at the moment. let me know if they suck!

meow meow
    i bought a pair dirt cheap at nashbar but just have them sitting around at the moment. let me know if they suck!
    will do. seem like a rear specific tire to me.

meow meow
    mounted it up yesterday. went on easy enough, running it reverse what the arrow says. pumped it up to about 30 psi and hit the trail for a while today. all hard pack with some crusty snow. seems faster than a rampage, kinda like an ignitor. bite seemed good but i will have to ride it much more. but so far so good!

meow meow
    another ride on them today in more diverse conditions. seems like a good tire, fairly fast, pretty good grip but doesnt shed mud that well.

mtbr member
    thx. you motivated me to throw mine on. i had some 1400g 2.5s on my deemax ultimates. seemed counter productive to put the heaviest tires i own on the lightest wheelset. my FR bike lost 2 lbs with that tire swap!!

the DH tires were way overkill anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I finally made the switch from ignitors to 235 minions and high rollers in the rear, oh man. It was worth every penny. I can actually stand and climb over wet roots. before I would slip and smash my crotch on the stem.

meow meow
    I finally made the switch from ignitors to 235 minions and high rollers in the rear, oh man. It was worth every penny. I can actually stand and climb over wet roots. before I would slip and smash my crotch on the stem.
    on a fs? you will get better traction if you stay seated.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    most of the time I do, but sometimes I stand up as I can move the bike around better. Either way, I still slipped on roots, now I dont.

banned
    nor I...
    Last edited by eauxgod; 01-16-2011 at 06:49 PM.

meow meow
    does anyone know the headset size on a xam? i know its 1 1/8 internal but all these number like 44mm, 42mm, 41mm, and so on are confusing me.

banned
    does anyone know the headset size on a xam? i know its 1 1/8 internal but all these number like 44mm, 42mm, 41mm, and so on are confusing me.
    44mm
    Attached Files Attached Files

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by eauxgod
    44mm
    thanks man!

now the wait for the 44mm cane creek angleset, any one have any idea on when it is supposed to come on the market? if i could slack it out to 67 or 67.5 it would rip so hard.

mtbr member
    god that would be good.

meow meow
    ok, for anyone who cares heres what i have i the works: one of these http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id183.html and a 2.2 conti tk and im gonna reduce my shock 1/8''. all that should hopefully give me a ha a tiny bit south of 67 and lower my bb a tiny bit. my rear travel will go down to a little over 5.5'' but i plan to shim the external sleeve on the air can to help with the mid wallow. should be sweet, hopefully it will be completed early march and i'll have some pics. any ?'s and you can pm me.

meow meow
    edit: conti tk 2.4

mtbr member
    sounds cool...but couldnt you achieve the same thing using a lyric 170..or even a fox36 180? i think its A2C is 20mm more than the 160mm fork..and you have some extra squish.

meow meow
    sounds cool...but couldnt you achieve the same thing using a lyric 170..or even a fox36 180? i think its A2C is 20mm more than the 160mm fork..and you have some extra squish.
    the lyrik 170 would only slack it out like .5. the 36 180 would do it but that seems like a lot of travel and would raise my bb a bunch. plus either one of those forks is mucho dinero, doing this will cost maybe $100 and keep it low and slack. plus where i ride 160mm is already more than enough. so having 5.5'' in the back with a well controlled shock will be an up grade.

mtbr member
    nice. im interested to see how it feels after.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    not only that, keeping the fork within "spec" would eliminate any issue with jamis for warranty work, which obviously if you had a 170 or 180 on there, they may use that as a chip to void the waranty. Personally, I am wondering how the xam would ride with a 180 talas or 2 step totem... could be a fun park bike

meow meow
    not only that, keeping the fork within "spec" would eliminate any issue with jamis for warranty work, which obviously if you had a 170 or 180 on there, they may use that as a chip to void the waranty. Personally, I am wondering how the xam would ride with a 180 talas or 2 step totem... could be a fun park bike
    i think it would be cool and fun on some stuff with a 180 but you would jack up the bb so high it would feel really antsy. i was thinking of throwing a lowered totem on there but my bike already is a bit of a porker. if all goes well (aka my finaces) im thinking of putting some crest/hopes set up tubeless with yellow tape to drop a pound or two.

mtbr member

09 Jamis Dakar XAM 2.0

I'm hearing some good and bad on this bike. I'm looking at getting a 2009 brand new. I love this bike and looks like it would be a blast to ride all around. So has anyone broken the rear end on an 09?

Would love some feed back before I drop some cash on this bike in a week.

Thanks

mtbr member
    if you check the pics threads you will see some of my lift served DH xam pics. rock solid. i have a DH and a FR bike now but i still love this thing for everything else.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by 29rcowboy
    I'm hearing some good and bad on this bike. I'm looking at getting a 2009 brand new. I love this bike and looks like it would be a blast to ride all around. So has anyone broken the rear end on an 09?

Would love some feed back before I drop some cash on this bike in a week.

Thanks
    i think a few people have. if you want peace of mind get the 2010 with the beefed up chainstays.

loser

2009 Xam Ii

Think about what kind of riding you're going to do. Is it mostly trail riding with the occasional small - 4' and under - drop? Do you want a 6" bike for more cushion on longer rides and the suspension to handle high speed descents? To pick lines that are a little more challenging where more travel will make for a more fun ride? Kind of open up some possibilities? Then, I don't think the 2009 is going to be a problem.

If you're buying this thing to huck big drops and shred on it like it's DH bike, then I think you'd better reconsider what you're buying.

Blue and B-Kul seem to have no problems. My '08 broke, and it was replaced with a new swing arm. There was a defect in the metal in the early runs of the '08 frame - i read that somewhere. Anyway, it should be a great rig for general mountain bike riding.

banned
    i think a few people have...
    That's news to me. I did a shyte load of research before I purchased and I could not find one mention of a broken '09.

meow meow
    my bad. i thought pablo had and broke an 09 but i guess it was an 08.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

As far as riding goes just trailriding with some light freeriding 4' type of stuff. It will get used in Moab a couple times a year but nothing crazy. I'm going to get it, I can't beat the price for a brand new ride with the spec that is on it.

The bike just looks fun to ride and I have not even thrown a leg over it yet, can't wait

meow meow
    my 08 xam. nothing really noteworthy except a 60mm raceface turbine stem, 711x19mm sunline v1 bars, and a rock shox reverb. the location is otis.

Blunt Blazer
    Oct 2010
    here is my jamis after the upgrades..

Bike Setup:
    * Frame Size & Color:Jamis Dakar Xam I '09-19" Biege
    * Fork: Marzocchi 55 TST2 Air 2009
    * Brakes: Hydraulic Hayes Stroker Ryde
    * Cranks: Shimano Deore 22/32/E13 TurboCharger BashGuard
    * Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX
    * Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT M772
    * Pedals: Azonic 420 Flats
    * Stem: Syncros FL
    * Handlebar: Syncros AM20
    * Seatpost: Synrcos FR
    * Saddle: WTB Rocket V
    * Bottom Bracket: Shimano
    * Cassette: Sram PG 950 '10
    * Headset: Syncros AM Hardcore 1 1/8
    * Grips: Odi Lock-On Rogue
    * Front Tire: 26 X 2.35", Dual Compound, Folding Bead
    * Front Rim: Azonic Outlaw 2010
    * Front Hub/Skewer:Azonic-Marzocchi 20 MM Thru-Axle
    * Rear Tire: 26 X 2.35", Dual Compound, Folding Bead
    * Rear Rim: Azonic Outlaw 2010
    * Rear Hub/Skewer: Azonic 12MM Momentum Axle
    * Weight: Approx.- 32-33LBS

meow meow
    just some long term plans/ question. so depending on what cc release i will slack it out to 66.5 degrees. then i would put on a rs sektor to drop about a pound and get it back to 67 degrees. does anyone run a 32mm fork on their xam?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Need your opinion. Am looking to purchase my fist DS bike and have "narrowed" it down to 2010 Jamis Xam 1 or the 2010 XCT 3 both being offered by Jenson. I am 6'2" and weigh 230 lbs. Ride mainly single track in PA, but would look into expending my horizons. Rode a 2010 XCT in CO last summer and was amazed, but then again this was my first time on a dual suspension bike. Also lokking at Santa Cruz. Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Picked an 09' XAM II up

I ended up picking up a 17" 09' off Jenson two weeks ago. I ordered a different cockpit for it and I am pretty happy with it, for my AM bike.

I was pretty interested in the HA comments about cane creeks new 44's and how we could use them to slack out the 09's 68.5 to a 67.5 which would help at speed and on big drops. I may ride the bike a while first.

It looks like the "method" that cane creek uses to provide that flexibility requires the use of an external headset cup on the low side, this would seem to drop the fork crown down a bit and increase bb height just a tad. (much like the other lower cup featured in this thread), but have an upper cup that would balance that lower cup angle.

I like that plan , and would like to hear feedback from anyone who has used this new angleset.

New Bars: 10' Easton Carbon MonkeyLite DH 710mm
    New Stem: Easton EA70 70mm 20 deg
    New Grips: ODI Yeti lock ons (have these on all four of my bikes

I bought this bike as a bit more aggressive alternative to my Ironhorse MKIII Elite wich is awesome, and seems to be able to do it all. But I have "turned" it into a more all mountain bike with components, and I wanted to get it back to a lightweight trail bike. Sub 28 lbs like it was stock.

So the XAM is my heavy duty Trail/AM where my IronHorse is more my Trail/XC now.

I would have preferred a RM Slayer 70 , or a Santa Cruz Nomad, Specialized Enduro etc but the price point was just to low on this jamis to pass up. $1980 shipped sold me on it... My LBS wanted $4400 for the RM Slayer I figure with a $2400 difference + tax it was worth checking out the Jamis.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Not riding XAM, yet!! Just took delivery of an 09 XAM 2 from Jenson. Bringing it into LBS tomorrow for final adjustments. Will be riding on Saturday!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i think i am going to pull the trigger on one of these from jenson. I find myself using my parker as an all mountain bike, but I also like to do some freeride. my only thing is, which one actually is stronger. Do you think the xam (09+) can handle just as much as the parker? Im sure its been covered, but search reveals a freakin overload.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ive been riding my 09 xam as a freeride bike and i havent had a durability issue with it yet. no crack, or breakage. i personally think the xam is stronger, it certainly looks beefier

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    so i ordered it, should be here friday.

now, as i find out- the stock shock is a 7.875x2.25 shocks, air. my parker has a coil, also 7.875, but only a 2" stroke. i want to keep the coil for riding resorts. I called jamis, they said I cant use 2" stroke because it will slack it out, and put excess stress on the headtube. I said " how is that, the total stock length is the same, only the stroke, so i could only be getting less travel", but he stood by his words. Does not make sense to me. if the total length was shorter, yes i could see it. but- overall length is the same so it should not change the geo at all. only thing i will be doing is getting less travel.

also, front shock bushings are the same as the parker, but I have to get new rear shock bushings.

so what do you think? i feel that I am right in this case. but, if im not...someone explain it to me so i know.

mtbr member
    you are probably right but they have to tell you only to use the right parts for liability reasons. on the other hand giving up over an inch of travel for riding resorts doesnt seem like a good idea. i rode mine with the air shock through lots of nasty trails and it was ok if you take the time to play with it and tune it. now that i have some dedicated big bikes i was considering going back to the air to drop some weight. it wasnt a bad ride, and climbed better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I gotcha. I suppose I will sell the coil with my parker frame.

meow meow
    wont slack it out but as blue said i wouldnt want to give up that extra travel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    rode it with a 66 up front... love this set up... sadly sold the bike today

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i like that one. the desert tan looks cool amongst the torpedoes haha.
    was that your primary FR rig or just set up as a heavy AM?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    it was my primary freeride and i used it a bunch for all mountain... im starting to wish i didnt sell it.. but i was able to buy a scott gambler brand new for 1500 which is what i sold the jamis for without the bombers and stroker trails. i took the domains off the scott and juicy 3.5s and put them on the xam for the guy that bought it... im thinking i might just buy another frame and build it up for strictly AM now

mtbr member
    66 on a XAM?? thats pretty bad ass. i have a 66ti on my furious and always thought about swapping it over for a test.

ive been riding my commencals lately but took the XAM out on sunday. i really love that bike <3 it just feels right. been considering going back to an air shock and trying to cut some weight off of it though.

I rather be cycling...
    somewhere in 2008 I bought my wife a Dakar XAM fox Float fork and DHX shock XT and LX... mavic rims.. etc etc...

so far she has used it only 4 times... and 1 of those was on the street.... unfortunately for me the frame is too small for me (15" I ride 18")

Languages spoken: bicyclish, spanish and a bit of english
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJy_GDpbRvk

dscull
    Aug 2011
    So i have a 2010 XAM 1.0. i love the bike. I use it on mostly xc trails but i am really interested in taking downhill at Diablo in jersey. how do u think it will handle it.

Also ,Right now the bike is completely stock and I was wondering what would be some good upgrades to put on the bike?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey all, been looking through the thread, I'll have to get some picks of my '09 XAM 1 up here at some point-it's had a few modifications to date! Anyone who's looking at getting a cane creek angleset for this bike to slacken her off a tad (as I'm considering myself) should check out workscomponents.co.uk

seems to me they have us covered!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm looking at getting a XAM, but I'm wondering, what size BB should I get with these cranks?
    Truvativ Hussefelt 2.2 RG Crankset 2010 at Price Point
    Truvativ Howitzer Team Bottom Bracket 2010 at Price Point

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

I just put the guide on yesterday, got it from a friend.
    total weight is a touch over 34lbs. not bad.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Jenson is working on getting it fixed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    whats the story behind that? 2008 right?
    Last edited by wolfman00; 09-01-2011 at 07:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Over shot a small jump at Pace Bend in Austin. Structural failure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28525890?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0&amp;a utoplay=1" width="398" height="224" frameborder="0"></iframe>
    I hope that this is a warning to all that purchased the 2008 XAM. Don't get me wrong, as a cross country bike it is great and I hope that they upgrade me to newer components to make it stronger. I did walk away from this with minor injuries, but only put a mile and a half of riding in that day. Grrrrr!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I did a day full of lift service riding on mine yesterday, bike rode awesome. saw some guys ripping on parkers too. Bike was smooth, no hard bottom outs. I never went for any huge stuff. I'd rent a bike for that.

Ruckus, glad you didnt get hurt bad. Im sure jenson will set you up right. Try and see if you can get the 2010 stay with the maxle, then you will be rockin.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's what I'm hoping for. In the mean time I moved some parts over to my 05 Yeti AS-X, shedding three pounds off of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am actually thinking of having my shop order me the 2010 rear (i will have to pay for it obviously) but then I will have added security and stiffness.

meow meow
    ^2010 has a 12x135mm rear axle so check your wheel.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yep, thats exactly what I want. I have hope hubs, so I can convert my axles to QR/10mm/12mm.

meow meow
    perfect

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yeah man haha

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kaniggitkev View Post
    rode it with a 66 up front... love this set up... sadly sold the bike today
    did the bombs come with it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by basa View Post
    did the bombs come with it?
    sadly no, but whatever bike im rolling, bombs are always near by
    '09 Jamis XAM I
    '09 Scott Gamber FR20

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I kinda want to get the 180mm coilspring for my domain. it would slack it out a bit and raise up the bb some. with the 160, i get alot of bb strikes. I want to find out what jamis thinks first though before I try it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    with the 180s on my xam i never had BB strikes, and it wasnt horribly slacked out. still pedalled well too
    '09 Jamis XAM I
    '09 Scott Gamber FR20

mtbr member
    My wife is getting me a 09 X-AM frame for christmas. Will be taking all the components from my 09 Parker 2 to build it.

I'm just hoping I like the DHX air. Im picky about suspension( why I am dumping the Parker). I have a month before I get it, but I will post pics.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My wife actually has the Parker. Great bike, except the shock. I can honestly say the dhx is the best shock I'ge ridden...in fact it's probably the best single component on my bike! Just take the time to go through the set up advice on the fox website, realize that things like boost valve pressure effect the propedal as well as the bottom out resistance-which is awesome by the way!

One thing I would say though is you might, depending on Parker model, want a longer travel fork. If it's got a 6 inch fork, as the newer ones do, you're golden. If it has a 5 inch fork it'll prob feel weird.

Anyway it's a great bike-especially for a great price. I've ridden mine from everything from long distance xc to full-on dh, it's not the best at either, but does both pretty well and i doubt i'll every get ride of it!-enjoy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cgduff View Post
    My wife actually has the Parker. Great bike, except the shock. I can honestly say the dhx is the best shock I'ge ridden...in fact it's probably the best single component on my bike! Just take the time to go through the set up advice on the fox website, realize that things like boost valve pressure effect the propedal as well as the bottom out resistance-which is awesome by the way!

One thing I would say though is you might, depending on Parker model, want a longer travel fork. If it's got a 6 inch fork, as the newer ones do, you're golden. If it has a 5 inch fork it'll prob feel weird.

Anyway it's a great bike-especially for a great price. I've ridden mine from everything from long distance xc to full-on dh, it's not the best at either, but does both pretty well and i doubt i'll every get ride of it!-enjoy!
    My Parker has a Lyrik U-turn so I should be good. I go DH rinding 2-3 times a year and my Parker is great for big hits, But it kills me on small bump compliance in the rear. I tried a few different shocks and a used a 57mm stroke one one to bring it up to 115mm rear travel, but i just couldnt get it to feel as active as I was looking for. Cant wait to get the X-AM frame.

mtbr member
    Got my frame and started building it. Im pretty frustrated though. I went to put on my chain guide and the xam has the old style ISG tabs and the Parker frame I am steeling parts from has the new style. Both frames are from 2009. Kinda odd that Jamis would would do that.

here is a pic of what I got done so far:

Im building the Parker frame for my wife so she can ditch her Mongoose Otero. I think I am going to put the DHX air on her bike and buy a Vanilla RC for the XAM. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    ?? thought xam has iscg05. new style.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue109 View Post
    ?? thought xam has iscg05. new style.
    Not mine. It measures 47mm. The Parker measures 55mm. I just ordered one. Its just odd to me that its different.

icalebkim
    Have you test ridden it? How is the small bump compliance in comparison to the Parker?
    Nice XAM, by the way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icalebkim View Post
    Have you test ridden it? How is the small bump compliance in comparison to the Parker?
    Nice XAM, by the way.
    I havent ridden it yet. I did sit on it and it felt amazing compared to the Parker. Very plush. Cant wait to see how it feels with the Vanilla RC

That said, I just took the DHX air off and put it on the Parker and it feels sooooo much better then the Monarch that I had on it. Much more lively and responsive. My wife is going to be getting a huge upgrade in bikes.

meow meow
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119 View Post
    Got my frame and started building it. Im pretty frustrated though. I went to put on my chain guide and the xam has the old style ISG tabs and the Parker frame I am steeling parts from has the new style. Both frames are from 2009. Kinda odd that Jamis would would do that.

here is a pic of what I got done so far:

Im building the Parker frame for my wife so she can ditch her Mongoose Otero. I think I am going to put the DHX air on her bike and buy a Vanilla RC for the XAM. Thoughts?
    where did you get that? 09 xams are either light blue or beige with iscg05 tabs. and go for the coil.

mtbr member
    Jamis Dakar Xam I Frame '09 at JensonUSA.com

I was pretty disappointed when it wasnt isg05. Made me have to spend more money.

mtbr member
    Now that you mention it though, the color is off from the picture and the other 09 frame pictures I have seen. Kinda weird

mtbr member
    I know this isnt the Parker thread, but here are some pics of my old Parker turned into my wifes new parker(using most of her old bikes parts)

The lighting in my basement isnt very good, neither is my cell phone camera I guess

icalebkim
    Still the 100mm at the back?

mtbr member
    115mm with the 57mm stroke. No clearance issues.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hey guys I'm hearing that the 2009 XAM has ISCG and ISCG05 mounts, can anyone confirm which is on this frame. I just ordered a frame and am wondering if I need a new chain guide.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the 2009 xam has ISCG (old) tabs, NOT ISCG 05. It seems lots of people (myself included-so no dig intended!) assumed the 2009 XAM has ISCG 05, as the rest of the Jamis line-up does. It has the old ISCG (presumably there was clearance issues with the larger ISCG 05 tabs and the suspension on this model?)

Hope that clears it up!

mtbr member
    Already had to send in the DHX air for a warranty claim. It is leaking oil out of the rebound knob. Seems like I cant win lately. Good thing my Vanilla RC should be here tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    im curious what the xam is like with a coil. my parker was the **** with a coil, so smooth.
    So far, I dont mind the dhx air, but it blows through travel too fast, and it doesnt have enough bottom out pressure, feels really linear. I wonder what an elka feels like on one...

mtbr member
    I finished putting together my X-AM today. She Is pretty freaking heavy 38.5lbs and is going to double as my XC bike next summer. I dont think I will be setting any speed records on it. I will post pics later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman00 View Post
    im curious what the xam is like with a coil. my parker was the **** with a coil, so smooth.
    So far, I dont mind the dhx air, but it blows through travel too fast, and it doesnt have enough bottom out pressure, feels really linear. I wonder what an elka feels like on one...
    It's gotta be bad. My XLT frame with a Fox Van R weighed in at a little over 9lbs. I had the bike built up to 32lbs. That's a really light build for a 9lb frame.

mtbr member

I cant wait to test ride it! I wont be able to for a few weeks though

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    nice build. i want to go 1x10 with 32 front ring, mrp mini g2 sl and 11-36 with x9 short cage out back. ultimate super d bike haha

meow meow
    put a low volume air can on there, it will help all that.

mtbr member
    nice build. i want to go 1x10 with 32 front ring, mrp mini g2 sl and 11-36 with x9 short cage out back. ultimate super d bike haha
    That would be a sweet build. I miss my sram derailleur.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    put a low volume air can on there, it will help all that.
    smaller air can? do elaborate...

I rode a bike once with sram, I can even describe it, it was just so snappy and on point. Very crisp. My shimano is like a WV and the sram was like a Porsche.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not an expert, but you can put the lower volume rp2 air can on the DHX air. this reduces the air volume, and so increases the ramp-up near the end of the stroke-hence helps reduce bottoming. if you search for somthing like 'dhx air mod' or 'dhx air can mod' i think it comes up. Personally i found that, after spending some time on the fox website to try and understand the relationship between the air can pressure and the boost valve pressure, that i could set mine up just fine. might be worth going through their videos first? (assuming they are still there!). Good luck whatever you decide to try. the air can fix was cheap though, i seem to remember it only cost 40 bucks or so....if i have time i'll try and find it and post a link here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    not too hard to find! looks like the specific DHX air is an older model, so may have to check this works with yours (depending on with one you have)

forums.mtbr.com/turner/dhx-air-upgraded-rp3-air-sleeve-182747.html[/url]

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    it seems i can post links! so add the http : // (without spaces) to the above!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i searched for it last night and found some good stuff. also found that you can shim the can too, but I like the idea of the smaller volume can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0