What kind of bike is the Jamis Dakar XLT and other questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What kind of bike is the Jamis Dakar XLT and other questions

I have a 2005 20th anniversary ed Dakar XLT. I was wondering what sort of riding it was mainly designed for. Trail, XC, all mountain, etc.?

Does XLT stand form anything?

Where does Jamis stand in terms of brand identity. Is it more high end, mid range, or more focused on the low end?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    djork,
    Hi, Rob here from Jamis Bicycles. The Dakar XLT platform is designed to be an all around trail bike. Good at ascending, descending and everything in between. The XLT was not designed to be a cross country race bike however, I have seen many XLT's at XC races. While the XLT can handle catching some air, it's not a free ride or downhill race bike.
    The XLT bridged the gap between the uber light xc race bikes and the more robust free ride and DH bikes.
    The "XLT" designation stands for "extra long travel" which was fitting for the early 2000's when the XLT was introduced. I also like to think of "XLT" as " Cross/Long Travel" So to me it has 2 meanings. But the former it the actual meaning.

Best, Rob

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, Rob. That was very helpful. I figured that the XLT might be a trail bike but wanted to know for sure. I really dig the matte black 20th anniversary ed. frame I got. Love the clean look and the overall geometry. I got the frame separately and built it up with mid-grade and high-end parts. I know Jamis bikes are known to be spec'd pretty nicely yet priced affordably.

Good to know what XLT stands for! But I don't think my rig is long travel. The frame came with a Fox Float R advertised as having 5" of travel (if I recall--could be wrong), but it really does not look like 5 inches. Could it be that my frame is a 13" frame and the compact size compresses the shock?
    Last edited by djork; 08-09-2009 at 09:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by djork
    Thanks for the info, Rob. That was very helpful. I figured that the XLT might be a trail bike but wanted to know for sure. I really dig the matte black 20th anniversary ed. frame I got. Love the clean look and the overall geometry. I got the frame separately and built it up with mid-grade and high-end parts. I know Jamis bikes are known to be spec'd pretty nicely yet priced affordably.

Good to know what XLT stands for! But I don't think my rig is long travel. The frame came with a Fox Float R advertised as having 5" of travel (if I recall--could be wrong), but it really does not look like 5 inches. Could it be that my frame is a 13" frame and the compact size compresses the shock?
    djork,
    What you may be looking at, possibly, is the shock shaft which has 50mm(2") of stroke. At the rear axle, the stoke is 5". The XLT suspension geometry dose look different from the smaller frame sizes to the larger frame sizes. A shorter seat stay and shorter bell crank(link) is utilized to get the proper performance per size. So there is some visual differences between a 13" XLT and say a 19" XLT. But they all have 5" of rear wheel travel measured at the axle.
    Best, Rob

I'm SUCH a square....
    Hey, Rob!

Another (HAPPY!) XLT owner here, also a 20th anniv. edition, a 1.0. Been on mine for 2-1/2 years, and the ONLY problem I had was with the Swinger 3 air shock; got a Metel R on it now, and it's sweetness.

I was sorry to see the XLT go, especially since the new ones I would have considered, The Parker or the XAM, are too short in the tt for me. Hoping for a few more years out of the one I have, and planning a detailed teardown/rebuild over the winter -- new bearings and all that.

If the XAM came in a size that had +24" of tt, I'd definitely look at it!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpedaler
    Hey, Rob!

Another (HAPPY!) XLT owner here, also a 20th anniv. edition, a 1.0. Been on mine for 2-1/2 years, and the ONLY problem I had was with the Swinger 3 air shock; got a Metel R on it now, and it's sweetness.

I was sorry to see the XLT go, especially since the new ones I would have considered, The Parker or the XAM, are too short in the tt for me. Hoping for a few more years out of the one I have, and planning a detailed teardown/rebuild over the winter -- new bearings and all that.

If the XAM came in a size that had +24" of tt, I'd definitely look at it!

bigpedaler,
    Great!! Regarding the XAM's TT length, due to the deign criteria the XAM will alway utilize a shorter top tube to co-inside with the geometry for all mountain applications. The XCT, which replaces the XLT will have longer top tubes to suit more XC/Trial Bike geometry.
    Hope this help,
    Best, Rob

Members who have read this thread: 0