What bike replaced the Dakar XLT- Mtbr.com

Jan 2009

What bike replaced the Dakar XLT

It looks like this Dakar XLT is no longer being made.

Was there a bike that replaced it?

If not, which one is closest now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The Parker took its place in the price range, but the XAM is the one most like the XLT.

Jan 2009
    Ooh! The XAM is sweet.

Just a little too much of a stretch for my current budget, though.

The Parker is a good deal heavier than the XAM but better for big drops, right?

I'm replacing an older Gary Fisher Wahoo ('01). Do you think the Parker will still be lighter than the Wahoo?
    (I can't find the Wahoo's weight anywhere but could probably go weigh it at the grocery store.)

Thanks for the reply!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Actually, the first year XAM (2007, which I have and like quite alot) was more similar to the XLT than the current model, which got abit beefier and longer travel starting in 2008. The 2009 XCT is more in line with how the XLT was.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    08 had no XLT (unless you were in canada, but the spec list kinda sucked alot)

the XCT is the 'new' XLT filling in the 5 inch travel range as stated above

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Xlt / Xct

Quote Originally Posted by holndav
    It looks like this Dakar XLT is no longer being made.

Was there a bike that replaced it?

If not, which one is closest now?

The XLT is replaced with the XCT which is still 5" of travel but in a lighter package. So you get the best of both worlds. The XAM is similar to the XLT but more capable with 6" of travel and a more robust spec in the wheels and forks... Hope this helps. Oh, I use to ride a XLT and now I have a XCT and it is the perfect synergy of light weight and versatility. My XCT is 5 lbs lighter than my XLT.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rvanderveur
    The XLT is replaced with the XCT which is still 5" of travel but in a lighter package. So you get the best of both worlds. The XAM is similar to the XLT but more capable with 6" of travel and a more robust spec in the wheels and forks... Hope this helps. Oh, I use to ride a XLT and now I have a XCT and it is the perfect synergy of light weight and versatility. My XCT is 5 lbs lighter than my XLT.

An XLT but 5lbs lighter? That is heaven sent. I rode an '05 XLT 2 for two years and swore it was the best bike I had ever ridden, and I have tested quite a few "high end" bikes out there, too. I loved it so much that after I sold it, I bought a new '06 XLT 3 frame from Jenson this past fall.

IMO the XLT could go down as the most underrated bike in mountain biking history. The '05 and '06 XLT's absolutely ripped, and I hope that the XCT's carry on that legacy.
    Last edited by BR-26354; 04-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Quote Originally Posted by BR-26354
    An XLT but 5lbs lighter? That is heaven sent. I rode an '05 XLT 2 for two years and swore it was the best bike I had ever ridden, and I have tested quite a few "high end" bikes out there, too. I loved it so much that after I sold it, I bought a new '06 XLT 3 frame from Jenson this past fall.

IMO the XLT could go down as the most underrated bike in mountain biking history. The '05 and '06 XLT's absolutely ripped, and I hope that the XCT's carry on that legacy.
    I think I found my long-lost twin! Seriously, though,....

I have to agree -- I have 2 years and 2 months on my '05 XLT, built up from a Jenson frame. Bit of experimenting with spec, and replacement of parts that weren't Clyde-rated, and I'm ready for AT LEAST 2 more years with this baby!

I was sorry to see the XLT go, as well -- so if the replacement is as good a ride with less weight, I guess I have a future target....
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Getaway Cycle Center
    Nov 2007
    4 inch dakar XC orginal tired and true suspension with coil over
    4 inch dakar XCR new suspension technology from Bam (former diablo)
    5 inch dakar XCT same as xcr but with 5 inch (former XLT)
    6 inch Dakar XAM Freeride mountain
    7 inch Dakar Bam Downhill beast (used as rental fleet at Diablo freeride park in NJ 2009)

Members who have read this thread: 0