Views on '08 Dakar XC??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Views on '08 Dakar XC??

I just brought home an '08 left over from my LBS, a Jamis Dakar XC in 19". This was an upgrade from the DB Response I had previously, and can't tell you how much more I like this bike!

I just wanted to hear some of your opinions on this bike. I am rather new to the sport, but used to ride a ton when I was in my teens. It's been a good 10yrs since I have rode regularly and am now trying to get back into it. I am 28yrs old, 6' tall and 195lbs if that helps. I mainly ride trails around my area, which are known to be pretty intense. I do like to hit the occasional small jump, but no big 20ft+ gaps in my near future.

Just wanted to hear overall thoughts on the bike, like what are it's strong points and what would be the first thing to upgrade if and when the time comes. I am very happy with my purchase and can't wait to log up some miles on my new baby!

May 2009
    Hey!

Joined the forums because of this thread!

I bought an 08 dakar xc about a month ago... also moving from a DB response sport.

I love my dakar... the only thing that concerned me at first was the weight, but the response was a pretty hefty bike as well.

I upgraded my fork to a fox f-100 RL and got rid of the "FPD" pedals that came on it.

I love it and would ride every day if it wasn't for the rain. Not sure how long it will last me though since I am really liking it and might move up next season.

mtbr member
    I have a an 05 Dakar and Dakar Sport, same frame. I find I use them more than my 05 XLT because I like the spread out XC layout. Both have air shocks and I've put a Tora 318 Soloair on one. I've also upgraded the discs to Shimano Hydros. I have to agree with you both, I love the bike. The only concern I have is most of the suspension has bushings rather than bearings. I bought 3 sets from the Jamis delaer just so I have them. I have not worn through them yet, but I see people who have so it's a matter of time. THis was standard on all Jamis FS bikes for years. I'm 6 feet and around 230 ish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the responses guys! I was beginning to think nobody cared I have put about 50 trail miles on my Dakar XC so far and it has been great! Zero problems with the bike, I just had to do the usual break-in tune-up on it because my breaks needed some adjusting. I have flipped over the handlebars twice already, and the bike has came out fine. It's definetly a good solid bike, as I have been riding it pretty hard on some very aggressive trails. Last weekend I had to clean it up for the first time, as I got it extremely muddy on the trails I was on. I had a blast, but my bike and I were a total mess after.

I rode a brand new Kona Dawg the other day and absolutely fell in love. I think if all goes well this summer, I may trade my Jamis in next year for the Kona. There were too many nicer componets on the Kona for me not to notice, and I just loved the air suspension and hydraulic brakes! I am just going to ride my Jamis the way she is this year, and try to hold back on upgrades if I plan on trading it in next year. On the other hand, I could always change out my suspension for air and upgrade to hydraulic brakes on the Dakar. Then I may be satisfied with my Jamis still.

I am not sure what I am going to do. All I know is that I just need to get out and ride the wheels off this Jamis first. I really need the time on the seat to better my skills, and the bike I have now puts a huge grin on my face everytime I go out riding First things first.....

May 2009
    I broke mine on Saturday.

I thought that I had bent the left side of the chainstay... which I had... but when I got to the shop and we were examining it and I removed my chainstay guard, there was a crack about 75% of the way through at the front side of the weld. My dealer said that it will probably be covered under warranty b/c of the location near the weld which might have weakened the metal at that point.

Might have to go bigger/beefier.

May 2009
    All fixed.... covered under warranty. I found a lightly used 2008 XAM 2, hopefully it will be in within the week.

Members who have read this thread: 0