Seat Stay Rubbed by Tire- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Seat Stay Rubbed by Tire

The right seat stay (when looking from the rear) of my '09 XCT 2.0 is being rubbed by the tire knobs (stock Nevegal 2.35) when I hit rolling terrain with my body weight fully placed on the seat. I'm 160lbs. Any ideas?

loser
    Check that the wheel is properly seated in the dropout, check that the frame is not cracked at the dropouts - like Justbuster69's - make sure the wheel is true, check the hub for any movement, and finally check all the bearing and pivot points on the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    my XAM does the same crap. i really have to pay attention to get the wheel perfect in the dropouts. try actually tightening the QR with the bikes weight on the wheels. i was paranoid about cracks but it seems like it just slips out of line sometimes.

mtbr member
    When I was on the trails, I did flip the bike over to really inspect the QR and make sure it was in correctly. It was pretty loose, but that didn't seem to fix it.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and picked up this morning. He said the suspension pivot points had come loose, so he tightened them and that should fix the problem.

We'll see. I'm taking it on the same ride tomorrow through the Wissahickon.

loser

Pre-ride checks

That's interesting.

I've noticed that I check all the bolts pre and post ride. Something that should be done anyway, I suppose, but I do it more out of nervousness than peace-of-mind.

For all the things I love about this bike, there are certain little things that could have been done to really make it stiffer - the bell crank and rear triangle are a couple of wet noodles. I suspect that leads to the loosened bolts and lateral stress that led to a snapped rear drop out.

mtbr member
    Jim, great info and exactly what happened to my XCT yesterday. The bolts popped out of the rear suspension on a rocky decent (which this bike loves; it's all boundy and jumpy. great stuff) and next thing I know, the rear tire is totally making the rubbing noise, only amplified x 10. I inspected and saw the bridge in the seat stay linkage completely sheared in half.

I'm going to make a warranty claim with the dealer today. The real downside? I signed up for two mtn. events (one this weekend, the other a month from now), and my rig is down.

loser
    Dan, that's a kick in the junk . I have a feeling the shop and Jamis will be sympathetic to your situation.
    It's too bad Skip Hoyt left Jamis. He was an excellent, responsive, and engaged product manager who would get this immediately resolved for you. Being that you're in the Jersey area, you should take a ride to the Jamis factory and ask them for a tour, and ask them what they can do to improve your ride, and make it more stable, reliable, and safe.
    As much as people really love Jamis bikes, I think this company is going to have a really tough time if they cannot get these quality issues under control. Especially now that the cost of a Jamis rivals a Specialized, Kona, Yeti, and Santa Cruz.
    I get it, we push the bikes, and ride in rugged terrain, but that is what the bikes were made to do.
    This is beyond being just a nuisance, it's straight up un-safe. Watch, in the future Jamis will make you sign a waiver every time you buy one of their bikes, and put a non-indemnification clause on the down tube - like the thing on the back of the ski lift tickets.
    I hope they straighten this out for your sake and interest, and for the rest of their riders.
    Good luck, and be sure to post your experience.
    Good luck in the races too!

mtbr member
    Just to follow up here: Jamis did honor their warranty and replaced the seatstay with a '10 version. It looks beefier with better welds.

mtbr member
    no rubbing since i tightened all the pivot bolts down and have been making sure the rear wheel is seated tight.

loser
    No rubbing since I bought a new bike.
    Just kidding. I wish.
    Still in search of how to get a piece to bridge my bell crank - kind of like the 09/10 model. No success, and no place to buy an aluminum dowl and machine the part myself.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll send you one, you just have to drill two holes in the bell crank for the 5mm bolts.
    I bridged mine and a friends 07 XAM s with great results. Also saw a pic on here of the same thing on another XAM. I can turn a few more out on my lathe, If people need them.
    www.kellnerbros.com

loser
    Quote Originally Posted by adrock
    I'll send you one, you just have to drill two holes in the bell crank for the 5mm bolts.
    I bridged mine and a friends 07 XAM s with great results. Also saw a pic on here of the same thing on another XAM. I can turn a few more out on my lathe, If people need them.
    www.kellnerbros.com
    I just PM'd you about it. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This is what my "repair" looks like. It definately helps keep the triangle under control.
    A couple 5mm bolts, a brace, Removed and then clamped the bell crank halves together to keep the holes aligned, and a couple drops of Red loctite.
    I have 300+ miles on mine and the bearings/ bushings still feel tight.

Have a great day!!
    Adam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Seat Stay Rubbed by Tire-xampart.jpg  

loser
    Quote Originally Posted by adrock
    This is what my "repair" looks like. It definately helps keep the triangle under control.
    A couple 5mm bolts, a brace, Removed and then clamped the bell crank halves together to keep the holes aligned, and a couple drops of Red loctite.
    I have 300+ miles on mine and the bearings/ bushings still feel tight.

Have a great day!!
    Adam
    looks easy enough! Thanks for posting and for your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0