Racing on a Dakar XC- Mtbr.com
    renaissance cyclist

Racing on a Dakar XC

Last fall, I bought a Dakar XC when my last bike was stolen. With my 401k going down the drain, my price range was much lower than it might have been. I actually love the bike though, it is much faster and climbs so much better than my last bike (6Ē all mountain bike). Iíve enjoyed it so much that rather than waiting for the snow to melt during the winter, Iíve actually been driving to areas where there is less snow to ride (I always just went snowboarding in the winters before). Iíve gotten it in my head that I am going to do a few endurance races. Iíve always been obsessed with endurance sports (running, swimming), but Iíve never done a bike race. Iíve been training hard and Iíve done a few upgrades to prepare (717 rims on XT hubs, Kenda karmas, lightweight tubes, XT cassette, shadow derailleur, eggbeaters), and after removing reflectors and other dead weight, itís just under 30lbs now.

I know that a few years ago, Jamis used to put top-of-the-line components on the Dakar XC PRO/Experts, and marketed them as serious race bikes. I think the bike will work just fine as it is for my first season of racing, but half of me just wants to go crazy with upgrades and really make my bike into a formidable race bike that I can use as I advance beyond the beginner class. Does anyone here race on a Dakar XC expert or pro? Do they compare to epics, anthems and other high-end race bikes? Is this bike worth upgrading, or should I just race it as it is, and save my money for a real race bike once I get better?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The Dakar XC uses a different frame than the Dakar XCR. The XC uses an older style setup and the 07 and newer XCR frames use the newer type of rear end. I have an 07 XCR and love it. I wouldn't think twice about racing it, it may not be super light but it works and works well. If yours truly is an XC it should still be fine you can upgrade it as you like and just replace the frame down the road if it so moves you. Either way I think you will be fine for your first season of racing.
    I Ride Bikes.

renaissance cyclist
    Yeah, I was infatuated with the XCR, but unfortunately, the lowest model they made for 2009 was the ďexpertĒ, which was $3000 retail, and a little out of my range. I guess youíre right that even if I were to put a bunch of kick-ass components on the bike, and still want more I can always just buy a new frame. I do really like my bike, and other than the slow shifting in the rear, the derailleur knocking on the chain-stay (both of which were fixed by the new derailleur and cassette), and the weight (now down to 30 from 35lbs), I canít think of anything, performance wise, I would change about the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0