Price hikes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Price hikes

Sep 2007

Price hikes

I just went into my local Jamis dealer today to look for an '08 exlplorer 3.0 in pearl white, he didn't have one but mentioned that the '09's would start coming in next week . He also told me Jamis was hiking prices across their lines and the '09 explorer 3.0 would cost $685 which is a whopping 37% increase over this years model which has a msrp of $499 . According to what is written in the '09 catalog , the explorer is Jamis' best-selling model ever so it looks like they are going to put out some of the fire with whopping price increases.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Price hikes in this economy are going to be inevitable. Gas prices have really increased the cost of doing business for everyone. Another thing to look at is the components on the 2009. Often a price hike of that magnitude is due to major upgrades over the previous years bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

ZombieFood
    Sep 2008
    Its everyone I noticed. I bought 2 Jamis Trail X 3's this month and a friend was going to get one but the prices went up big time. I ordered a 08 Giant Rincon for my older son last month and they ran out. The 09's were $100 more.

My friend was thinking about an 08 Jamis Durango @ $525 but they were out. 09's were over $100 more.

Haro same thing.

Seems everyone jumped their prices big time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah, but you also have to think about changes in bikes. The 2008 Komodo is quite different from the 2009. The frame alone has been redesigned. I'm sure some componentry is different. (I'm too lazy to look right now) I don't buy completes anymore. I just build what I want so I know I get the parts that won't break. I take my time and get stuff cheap online.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Raw material costs

Hey guys,

Well, its not just us believe me. We do our best to keep prices affordable and usually give the BEST BANG for the buck. We along with everyone else was forced to raise prices as raw material cost have shot up, gas prices are booming along with the US dollar not buying as much we are forced to raise the prices.

Trust me we are not doing this to make a better margin or to make more money. Its something that needed to be done. You can count on us working as hard as possible to be sure that you as a Jamis customer are still going to get the BEST spec, package, best costumer service and the BEST damn bike that we can produce for the price!

Now get out there and ENJOY the RIDE!
    Skip
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

ZombieFood
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey guys,

Well, its not just us believe me. We do our best to keep prices affordable and usually give the BEST BANG for the buck. We along with everyone else was forced to raise prices as raw material cost have shot up, gas prices are booming along with the US dollar not buying as much we are forced to raise the prices.

Trust me we are not doing this to make a better margin or to make more money. Its something that needed to be done. You can count on us working as hard as possible to be sure that you as a Jamis customer are still going to get the BEST spec, package, best costumer service and the BEST damn bike that we can produce for the price!

Skip
    Its definitely not just you guys. I have been shopping bikes for family and friends and all brands jumped big time. I still feel you have some of the best components for the price and even though I am a Gary Fisher rider, I bought 2 Jamis bikes, 1 for my brother and 1 for my son, I will probably get another very soon but honestly all mfrs pricing are provoking me to look at used. And I bet the used market jumps up as the demand in that area will grow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip
    Hey guys,

Skip
    It is across the board. But with fuel prices dropping again, will we see a revised price soon?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Ha, well you have to remember that most of these bikes and production was been completed or begun MONTHS ago....

But you never know...
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

mtbr member
    There have been a number of posts on price increases coming for 2009 bikes. In fact I wrote one about six months ago. Jamis is well know for their value packed bikes. Believe me if their prices have gone up the bigger brands are way up. My advice is to try to find a 2008 or suck it up and buy the 2009 and support a company who supports us.

Sep 2007
    I ended up getting both an 08' explorer 3.0 and an 08' BOSS cruiser both in the colors I wanted special ordered through my local dealer . There was good availability from the warehouse in my size and specifically in pearl white and silver. I got the 08 price on them and I am pretty happy. They are supposed to be built by this friday. Cheers from a new Jamis rider.

ZombieFood
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sortasexy
    I ended up getting both an 08' explorer 3.0 and an 08' BOSS cruiser both in the colors I wanted special ordered through my local dealer . There was good availability from the warehouse in my size and specifically in pearl white and silver. I got the 08 price on them and I am pretty happy. They are supposed to be built by this friday. Cheers from a new Jamis rider.
    Congrats. They do make a good bike.

Birthday Collector
    With the dollar dropping against foriegn currencies and the cost of transportation, running the manufacturing equipment, extracting raw materials, making tubing and components, etc... things will likely continue to go up. Tire rubber is generally a petroleum-based compound, so "rubber donut prices" may fluctuate a bit, but I'll put money on it by next summer we'll see gas prices near or above where we were earlier this year... If there are any significant improvements in a bike from one year to the next, it is worth buying the latest if you plan on keeping it for a long time. If you blow through a bike every year or two, then not as big a deal. "Live with" the '08 stuff if you'll be buying another bike in '10.
    Just my $0.02...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

Members who have read this thread: 0