Is this place dead?- Mtbr.com
    CS2
    mtbr member

Is this place dead?

My LBS picked up Jamis last season. I was hoping for some info. But this place is all but forgotten. Does anyone even ride any?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Cycologist
    Yep, but they aren't very new so I probably can't help you. I'd still like an Eclipse, but I picked up a Lemond 853 Poprad a year ago so that will probably cover me. I also have a 2002 Quest. Looks like Jamis has pretty much gotten out of steel. I'd still consider their bikes, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Does anyone even ride any?
    I do now, again. Just got a replacement frame for a broken frame last year. It's a Reynolds 853 steel SS frame. Woohoo! It's an older frame though, 2012-13?

Jamis pretty much abandoned 29ers, and steel. I stopped paying attention.

Chaz, cool news on the Poprad! I lusted after one of those for a while but finally gave up, mostly because I'm not sure a 59cm was big enough anyway. I still think they're cool though
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    Jamis still has quite a few steel models in the road, urban, gravel/adventure, and mountain bike segments (Quest, Coda, Renegade, and Dragonslayer). 29er model selection has been cut back a bit and replaced by 27+ models in a few price points. You can still get performance carbon 29er hardtails, but full-suspension bikes are all 27.5 for 2017.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    29er model selection has been cut back a bit and replaced by 27+ models in a few price points. You can still get performance carbon 29er hardtails, but full-suspension bikes are all 27.5 for 2017.
    hmm, this sounds familiar. When you realize you've made a bad decision, instead of retracting or correcting the error, double down and burry yourself in the process.

Frame material is neither here nor there in the grand scheme. It was nice that Jamis was one of the last few brands making decent steel frames, but they've taken themselves out of that market.

The big mistake is not making the majority of their lineup 29ers. Even Giant has back pedaled and brought them back. I thought that was going to take years, but maybe they've seen the light? (not that i care one bit what Giant does) But Jamis is digging their own grave, at least in MTB's.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    OneSpeed, have you ridden a Dragonslayer? If not you should consider giving it a try. There is a lot to like about + hard tails and Jamis is offering a lot of good options in that area. It may not be for everybody, but its a growing part of the market.

To the OP yes this forum is pretty dead. I like my Jamis and the service at the LBS that caries them.

Wanna ride bikes?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben B View Post
    OneSpeed, have you ridden a Dragonslayer? If not you should consider giving it a try. There is a lot to like about + hard tails and Jamis is offering a lot of good options in that area. It may not be for everybody, but its a growing part of the market.
    Thanks, but no thanks. I have a 29+, and i'm tall, going to a B+ would be a step in the wrong direction. Hence my lack of interest.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

mtbr member
    been riding a Parker 1 since 2008, finally replaced it this past March with a Mach6. Wanted to go with another Jamis, but wasn't a dealer within driving distance. I was very happy with my parker. People complained about frames breaking and pedal bob, but with some upgraded components I was able to build a very capable bike that lasted almost a decade. Had very good customer service when I needed to replaced some bushings and needed technical info and everyone I've talked to said their warranty response is top notch. Now the conundrum is do I part it out or try to sell it as a whole bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm still running my Komodo. It's 11 years old and Baller. All XT, 11 speed, butter coil, tough and light for a Freeride hardtail, versatile, and really comfy.

I'd love to have a Dragonslayer next!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I often think that people who buy Jamis hardtails keep them for a loooong time. Their steel is great. I've also still got my 1998 Komodo and ride it as a SS.

Jamis is the blue collar brand. Great bang for your buck. Thus...those that buy them aren't going to upgrade any time soon.

Likely why there aren't a ton of noobs in here asking a lot of dumb questions like you see in a lot of other forums.

I agree though...this place used to have a very active Komodo thread and a few others.
    Last edited by chelboed; 05-06-2017 at 05:58 AM.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougie View Post
    Jamis still has quite a few steel models in the road, urban, gravel/adventure, and mountain bike segments (Quest, Coda, Renegade, and Dragonslayer). 29er model selection has been cut back a bit and replaced by 27+ models in a few price points. You can still get performance carbon 29er hardtails, but full-suspension bikes are all 27.5 for 2017.
    The steel frame Renegades are what caught my eye.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I just picked up a 2013 Dakota D29 Team in pristine condition- it ls now my favorite bike!
    I'll post a pic tomorrow.
    Bicycles don't have motors.