Parts upgrade question- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

Parts upgrade question

Hello everyone.

Stupid question maybe, but I need your opinion.

I bought a 2009 Trail X3 some time ago after not owning a bike of any sort for almost a decade. I bought this model because it was affordable and was the best when it comes to money/value ration.

My (sweet) trouble is: I simply love the frame, and I am considering spending quite a lot of money on upgrading some of the parts (ok, most of them), because I need better-quality parts (crankset, stem, f/d, etc.). It seems like these will cost me much more than what I've paid for the bike.

So: is it worth it, or, better - is this frame worth it?

Thanx.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I actually would love to know this also. I just won an X1 through a local grocery store. The frame has great geometry and a real nice feel to it but the components are junk. I am considering a few different options but have the same question. Frame worth it?

Mar 2009
    Yes, I also found the geometry great. I came across Jamis by chance. The other bikes just did not "click" with me when I tried them, and this bike's geometry was it the moment I sat on it.

Hope someone more knowledgeable about the matter (even someone form Jamis ) answers.

mountainfreak
    Aug 2009
    Gdchild:

Glad to hear that you are lovin' your Trail X3. We intend the Trail Series to be Entry Level or a "Starting Point" for mountain biking. In my opinion, I would hold on to your "upgrade dollars" and go for a whole bike. A Durango 2 or Durango 1 perhaps. You not only get a complete upgrade in parts but also an upgrade to 6061 triple-butted aluminum frame resulting in a much lighter bike and the geometry is the same as your Trail X !! Hope this helps!! BTW the 2010 Durango's look sick!!

Mar 2009
    Thanx

I think my next toy will be Xam I

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Sal,
    I understand probably not worth upgrading but again, even the basic X1 I have has really made me start looking at the Jamis lineup. Considering I didn't pay anything for the X1 I am still in the market for a rugged hardtail under a grand. I'll be excited to see the 2010's. I have been toying with the idea of a single speed to play around with once and a while so I think my plan with the X1 is single speed conversion and upgrade the fork, maybe a Rock Shox Tora. That should be fun.

Any upgrades in 2010 on the Durango 3.0?

Members who have read this thread: 0