Part warranty on a Jamis bike gone wrong - Jamis NOT at fault- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Part warranty on a Jamis bike gone wrong - Jamis NOT at fault

I bought a new Dragonslayer Pro about a month and a half ago. I love the bike and it has been great. However, the KS eten dropper started to sink after the second ride. After checking the usual stuff (cable, lever, clamp torque, ect) I took it back to the LBS. I worked with the mechanic and we both agreed that it was a defective post, it would sink on the bench without the cable attached.

The LBS promised to warranty the post. I asked to be kept in the loop with status updates. I went to the shop and asked about an update after a few weeks. The employee at the counter didn't know anything, and initially couldn't find my info in the system. I asked them to call KS and get and update the next day. I didn't hear from them for another week, so I contacted KS, Eventually KS found the RMA, but they claim no post has ever arrived on their premises. I've had an email and phone call with the shop owner where he told me he would look into it can call me back promptly. Today is the 9th day and I've not heard from him since the promises. I have had enough.

I asked KS for another update on the RMA number. But I want to stay on this. I wonder if the post was lost in shipping or some other event that will mean I never get the post back. I can tell from the actions of the LBS that I will be out a post, or it will be a huge struggle with empty promises to string me along. It is a $135 post and this isn't the end of the world. It is the principal at this point.

I want contact Jamis. Does anyone have a good contact at Jamis? I would prefer to email or phone someone. I can't find an email or phone number on their web site. Email would be the best because I can send them the email trail from KS and the LBS. I'm hoping Jamis can get the process back on track.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    LBS totally at fault. Find the person who shipped it out. If no one knows who sipped out the post, then its gone "missing".

Cycologist
    I would politely go over the time line of events with the shop owner and then make it clear that I expected him/her to take care of this in a timely manner and without you having to be the one following up with anyone. If this guy/gal has any competition in the area, they should want to keep a customer happy; repeat business, word of mouth, etc, and it doesn't sound like they are doing a good job at this. Be polite but let them know your frustration.
    Last edited by chazpat; 06-16-2017 at 01:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I agree this is 100% on the LBS, and yes there is local competition. But I have taken all of the "reasonable sane person" steps to solve this issue. I mean what am I going to do? Stop by again to be blown off? Call on the phone to hear more false promises? Give greater ultimatums? Fact is the LBS is not going to give me updates, keep me in the loop, or work this out in their own. I've pushed, I've tried. I even went around them to KS. I'm not willing to escalate to being an ass to get it done even though I am capable of it. I'd just do an RMA on my own or buy the cartridge, but the LBS took my post.

I want Jamis to know what is happening here so they can try to straighten it out.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I agree this is 100% on the LBS, and yes there is local competition. But I have taken all of the "reasonable sane person" steps to solve this issue. I mean what am I going to do? Stop by again to be blown off? Call on the phone to hear more false promises? Give greater ultimatums? Fact is the LBS is not going to give me updates, keep me in the loop, or work this out in their own. I've pushed, I've tried. I even went around them to KS. I'm not willing to escalate to being an ass to get it done even though I am capable of it. I'd just do an RMA on my own or buy the cartridge, but the LBS took my post.

I want Jamis to know what is happening here so they can try to straighten it out.
    Yeah, you're right, you already talked with the owner and they didn't bother to keep their promise to you. If you do talk with Jamis, be sure to let them know the lack of service from their dealer. Unfortunately, someone in another thread was just complaining about Jamis being unresponsive. Maybe someone with experience working in an LBS will chime in here. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    As an update, KS did send me a prompt reply that they checked every box and still do not have my post. The RMA was created May 4th with KS.

I used the online contact form on Jamis' web page to send in my story. I don't have full confidence that I will get a reply, the drop down only lists "2014" as the newest year of bike, and the form says it is to inquire about new bikes. I found an old phone number that was listed as the dealer contact number in a forum, but it is from 2008. I may try that on Monday, but I just hate to try to explain all of this in some decipherable form verbally. At this point it looks like I've been scammed out of a post if I don't try.

Thank you for the posts up to this point.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Jamis:
    201-768-9050
    800-222-0570

mtbr member
    That shop owes you a new post, and an apology.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Unfortunately, someone in another thread was just complaining about Jamis being unresponsive.
    This is true...even by phone. No one answers nor do they call back when you leave a message. They wouldn't even call my LBS back about the availability of a bike when I wanted to buy a Renegade they had listed. It finally took me...the customer...calling several times and finally leaving them a message that this was the last call from me or my LBS and that if the call wasn't returned I was buying a different brand bike. Amazingly they got that message...returned the call quickly, claimed they were having phone issues. Funny that they got the call that told them I was shopping elsewhere but none of the other calls? I was at the shop and watched my dealer call them 3 times on different days without a answer. I called them twice myself and finally the third time to tell them I was done before they finally called my LBS about the bike. I should have taken that as a sign and bought a different bike. I haven't had problems with my Renegade other than a lot of paint chipping...but I just read about some issues with Jamis being pretty shitty about warranty claims so that has me a bit concerned for the future of my bike.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    This is true...even by phone. No one answers nor do they call back when you leave a message. They wouldn't even call my LBS back about the availability of a bike when I wanted to buy a Renegade they had listed. It finally took me...the customer...calling several times and finally leaving them a message that this was the last call from me or my LBS and that if the call wasn't returned I was buying a different brand bike. Amazingly they got that message...returned the call quickly, claimed they were having phone issues. Funny that they got the call that told them I was shopping elsewhere but none of the other calls? I was at the shop and watched my dealer call them 3 times on different days without a answer. I called them twice myself and finally the third time to tell them I was done before they finally called my LBS about the bike. I should have taken that as a sign and bought a different bike. I haven't had problems with my Renegade other than a lot of paint chipping...but I just read about some issues with Jamis being pretty shitty about warranty claims so that has me a bit concerned for the future of my bike.
    Hello,

Sorry to hear about the issues you and your retailer had with contacting us about the availability of a Renegade, if you wanted to PM us some details (location, retailer you were working with) we would be happy to look into the issue and respond back. As to your concerns regarding our warranty policies: we are sympathetic to anyone who has not had a positive experience while working on a claim, but believe on the whole most retailers and consumers consider us very fair and generous to deal with.

@Jamisbikes

mtbr member
    I don't want to call out the retailer. I was there when calls were placed and there was no answer and messages left. He did it on speaker phone even so I knew for a fact he was doing his part. He gave me the phone number and I even made a few calls myself and left messages. It wasn't until I finally said I was going to look at other non-Jamis bikes that a call to my shop was returned. Might have been coinsidence that the call was returned after I finally said I was buying something else but it still was kinda iffy IMO. This was over the course of about a week or so trying to get the details ironed out so I could get the bike ordered. And the idea of losing a sale was very frustrating to my LBS too because I would have bought a bike from a brand they don't carry. As far as the warranty...hopefully I don't have to find out but if something does happen, I pray that's true that you guys are easy to work with and fair, despite what some others have said.
    Kona Big Unit SS
    Kona Private Jake SSCX
    DiamondBack Release 3
    Norco Torrent HT 7.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My saga ended this way. My LBS agreed to buy a post for me after more of my attempts to contact them. I declined. Jamis did respond, although only here via PM, and did not follow through as promised. I did try to call several times, but the phone was not answered and I did not leave a message.

for those who might care ...

[QUOTE=@Jamisbikes]Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your current situation! We're going to do everything we can to help get you back on your Dragonslayer.

Our customer service department did acknowledge receiving your email and they have reached out to ********** to look for a solution. They will continue correspondence with you via email. We do have instructions from KS on how to resolve the issue with the seat post and it should be something that the shop can fix in house for you without having to send it out which should help cut down the time off your bike.

We thank you for being a great customer of ours!

- Jamis Bikes

My reply:

Not much can be done. ********** claims to have shipped my post to KS. KS claims to have never received it. ********** waited so long to get back to me and look into the delay, that it was too late to make a claim with the shipper (UPS). The post is gone, "lost in the mail", so no amount of fixes will help.

You state "Our customer service department did acknowledge receiving your email and they have reached out to ********** to look for a solution. They will continue correspondence with you via email. " Put it briefly, NO they did not. They never acknowledged my email, and if they contacted ********** is it news to me. They did not "continue correspondence" in any way.

In the end, ********** offered to order a seat post for me. I declined. I was leaving for a vacation where I planned to ride. I didn't want it to hinge on more empty promises if the new post didn't show. I bought my own new dropper post from a retailer that was able to complete a transaction effectively. In the end I'm out a few hundred dollars, but the riding was amazing. Sometimes in life you just have to forget the people that can't get the job done and take care of things yourself.

Thank you for the reply, it was more that I thought I would get anyway.