Parker shorter than I thought- Mtbr.com
    Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Parker shorter than I thought

My neighbor just got his Parker, and after quick ride I've gotta say it's not what I expected.

I was thinking it would be similar to my Prophet, which a long top tube that would allow a shorter stem to be used on the 18' frame. I didn't think this is the type of bike that would require a longer stem for taller riders.

However, the 18' frame shipped with a 90mm stem, and even with that fairly long stem, the bike feels decently short. It also lacks the slack feel of my Prophet.

I also noticed that the JensonUSA ships a RS Recon 130mm on the Parker, which seems a bit short. I'm not sure if this was OEM or Jenson's doing. All I know is that it certainly makes the bike feel very upright and XC, and not nearly the DS/FR bike they were touting.

I think it's got potential, but he'll have to upgrade the fork to a Lyrik and maybe run a setback seat post to make into a comfy "slack" AM bike.

mtbr member
    recon comes on the 08 parker 1. that bike was meant to be more on the xc side of the am spectum, hence the 3 chain rings. these bikes were designed for slopestyle and their frame does a good job for that. they do feel short but again a characteristic of slopestyle bikes.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    so what your saying is, you can't really make it into a slack XC bike?

I think that what he was hoping for, something that felt a little more relaxed and over the rear wheel, but with that stem it feels awkward.

I may suggest to him getting a Lyrik.

Members who have read this thread: 0