parker 1.0 help- Mtbr.com

Thread: parker 1.0 help

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

parker 1.0 help

today i finally came to a conclusion that i will go with the 08 parker 1.0 but i have a question. should i get the $850 parker from jenson or get the frame for $395 from jenson and do my own custom build with... for a total of $1259.32... worth it? any suggestions to the parts?
    hayes stroker ryde brakes
    race face evolve xc x-type crank
    sram x7 front derailleur, rear derailleur, and shifters
    rockshox recon 351 fork
    wtb dual duty wheels
    azonic revenge bar
    azonic stubb stem
    243 t6 seatpost
    odi lock on grips
    t.h.e mountain cross saddle
    intense system 4 exdc lite tires
    kmc 9-speed chain

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    by building from the frame up your going to be getting all the parts you want versus having a complete and ending up with extra parts on the side. You could sale the parts to help with the overall cost. You could buy the complete than just change parts out as they brake and than you can ride than as you go change parts for better stuff like x.9 over the x.7 or juicy 5's over the stroker rydes.

Still on Training Wheels!
    Looks like the just dropped there prices to $799 for the complete and $365 for the frame.

As for your question, what kind of ridding are you planing on doing. The complete build is more on the XC side of things, but with the $1200 you're thinking of shelling out you could custom spec it yourself and get a ride that would be well suited to all mountain and some drops. I'm assuming the parts you spec'ed are the parts you would custom build the frame with if you got the frame only, and if that is the case I would highly recommend trying to find a Pike or a adjustable travel Domain. IMHO the Parker is such a versitle frame that I think you would be selling yourself short by building around the Recon as your fork choice.

Bottom line If your riding more XC stuff, Get the complete package and upgrade as stuff breaks, but if your planing on riding more all mountain and hitting jumps/drops, I would spec out your own build.
    It's not a good ride if you don't scare yourself at least once.

Yeah...I'm Sponsored..................by my Bank Account

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Drum,

Not to hijack this thread but on a related Parker note - my friend is looking to upgrade the fork to a Domain, which I believe has about 165mm of travel (on Jenson too). Is that doable on this frame? She's pretty small and recently rode some downhill in its stock trim, but found the need for more travel in doing so.

Thanks
    You guys wanna ride bikes?

I currently use a Pike on my Parker and find that it gives a good amount of adjustable travel to match the frame. I would however prefer to have a 160mm-115mm version of the Domain or Lyric as I feel this bike demands at lest a 120mm fork, and at full travel on my Pike (140mm) I still feel like a little taller fork might handle just right for my riding conditions and style.

At 160mm that Domain might end up being a bit slack for every day riding. FWIW I think you can order the U-turn spring and hardware for that fork for another $50 or so and then you would have no issues with height and still at a decent cost to performance value. To do this you would need to order the U-turn spring, the top U-turn knob and a Base Plate Assembly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    is this something that an LBS would have to do?

Na it's a really easy fix all you do is pop out all the hardware from the spring leg and put the base plate assembly in the bottom if the left stanction (you'll need to drop the lowers and have a set of snap ring pliers...this is the hardest part), slide the spring in, tighten foot nut and attach U-turn knob. It's like a 30minute job. There is nothing you have to do on the damper side.

Pop on the sram website and take a look at some of their diagrams to get a better idea as to what is happening internaly

Members who have read this thread: 0