New Rider - Used Bike- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

New Rider - Used Bike

Hi,

I'm brand new to mountain bikes. I found a good deal on an older Trek 8500 and bought it knowing that it was too big for me just to see if I really wanted to start riding a bike. I'm about 5'10" with a 32" inseam and bought the Trek with a 21" frame. I have about 3/4" of clearance over the top bar - way too little for offroad riding, but I can still get around with it. OK, I think I'm going to like riding, now it's time for a bike that fits better.

I just found a 2007 Jamis Dragon Pro with a 19" frame. I haven't even seen the bike yet, but the specs look like the frame size should be OK. Anyone out there about my height riding a 19" Dragon? I told the current owner that I'd take a look at it tomorrow - nothing like looking for advice at the last moment

Thanks,
    Cal
    Windham, ME

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I bought a 17" Durango and im about 6'1" or so. Inseam is a 33. Not the same bike but the size is helpful. I was recommended by a couple shops to get a 19" but ended up with a 17" just for the extra comfort from the jewels and less weight from the bike...i can always raise the seat a little bit, can never lower the top tube.

Members who have read this thread: 0