new member of the family- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

new member of the family

hello jamis-ians. just bought a shiny new XAM II. this bike is so far above the 02 enduro ive been riding that im sure it will take me a while to even appreciate it. i feel like a kid on xmas

any other XAM riders have any tuning tips/tricks to share? anybody done anything to drop a little weight?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nice ride. I don't have an XAM, but if I was in the all mountain market that would be on my short list.
    The only thing I can think of upgrading might be the wheels. Jamis seems to love that XT/317 combo for a majority of their mountain bikes. Nothing wrong with them per se, but for the all mountain category you could maybe go with a wider rim which would give your tires a bit wider footprint.
    Let us know how that HammerSchmidt works out too.

mtbr member
    so took her out for her maiden voyage today. was also my first time out on one of tucsons gnarliest trails. mostly boulder garden DH with ugly hike-a-bike sections between and a few sustained climbs. a true AM trail. this bike is so spectacular i almost shed tears. still need to dial in a little more squish though. the hammershiznit is awesome. i hardly touched the rear all day. just put it in granny cog and used the front shifter. the joplin seatpost has spoiled me. went up and down uncountable times without stopping the bike. im not a great climber, but it climbed pretty well as far as i could tell...seemed to really be nice with the propedal on. i was suprised by the wheel choice on such a high end bike, but it works for now. only thing i plan on changing right away are the grips. reviews complain about the weight but i didnt notice it at all. my enduro is lighter but this thing feels lighter when you ride it. not shure how to explain it. i nailed rock rolls today i wouldnt have even dared to try on my old bike. after 5 hours i finally went over the bars, but i blame it on my upper body muscle failure, not the bike lol.
    in other words, 5 stars so far. the fact that i found a flawless unridden floor model bike for less than half of msrp makes it even sweeter!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Weird late 80s Jamis Dakota

Hi I was wondering if you guys know anything about a late 80s Jamis Dakota with Biopace front rings and a back brake near the bottom bracket? I am trying to figure out how to change it to a single speed - I don't know how to measure the bottom bracket's size. Could you guys help?

Grinder
    nice bike
    Quote Originally Posted by a stoned guy with a beer in his hand eyeballing your sisters bike
    "i fit my bike to fit me;not for looks...nice did you buy that bike from jc whitney?" Stoner Island 1984

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jvaughn
    Hi I was wondering if you guys know anything about a late 80s Jamis Dakota with Biopace front rings and a back brake near the bottom bracket? I am trying to figure out how to change it to a single speed - I don't know how to measure the bottom bracket's size. Could you guys help?
    sorry man, no clue. my first jamis bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0