need info on 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

need info on 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT

Thinking about buying one used. if anyone rides one and has anything to say about it good or bad I would really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Awesome bike with great ride quality. Only true weak point are the rear chainstays that tend to break too often. Jamis offers a 5 year warranty but may not cover a used bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I bought one from Jenson. Broke chainstay. Got new swingarm under warranty. Had to go through Jenson to get it.

I wouldn't buy a used one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    damn, of course it has to have an issue. every used bike i've found lately that has a good price also has a potential serious problem (almost bought an early 2000's RM slayer that went under recall). i live in western north carolina and I can't destroy some of the more serious single track the way I would like on my rigid single speed. I'm not interested in spending 2 grand on a bike especially when i can get one that just needs a little love for $700. this is a Jamis zone so I guess i'll take this to another forum.

thanks a lot for the heads up guys

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Jamis XLT

Hey Boosk

I wanted to chime in with my .2. The XLT is a great bike; it is one of the best selling Jamis bikes in the lat 5 years and truly one of the first "trail bikes"

We have seen some XLT chainstays break, but Jamis took care of everyone that has gone through the proper channels. (Those channels being, 1. contact your dealer, 2 have the dealer inspect the frame, 3. if it falls under a warranty the dealer will contact Jamis and get a replacement, 4. you will be on your single track rippin way!

Now getting back to your question about weather or not you should buy this used XLT.

If it fits you and its in good shape then you should grab it. Ask the seller if the chain stay has been replaced, if it has your dialed. If it has not been replaced, keep an eye on and check it during your post and ride clean up. If you discover a crack contact your local Jamis dealer (there is a dealer search at www.jamisbikes.com) and order a new chainstay. You will still come out on top for sure.

Contact me if you have any questions...thanks skip
    ]
    Craig "Skippy" Hoyt

Members who have read this thread: 0