need advice on a komodo frame- Mtbr.com

Aug 2008

need advice on a komodo frame

hello im thinking about buying a 2004 komodo team (19") (frame only)

im wondering about the geometry on this bike . im mostly a x/c type rider no crazy drops or anything (thats why im going with a ht frame).

im 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam bout 180 pds.

im planning on a 100mm front fork which would put the headtube angle at about 69 degrees which is kinda neutral . just wondering how it *feels* on normal singletrack riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by retro-newb
    hello im thinking about buying a 2004 komodo team (19") (frame only)

im wondering about the geometry on this bike . im mostly a x/c type rider no crazy drops or anything (thats why im going with a ht frame).

im 5'10" tall with a 32" inseam bout 180 pds.

im planning on a 100mm front fork which would put the headtube angle at about 69 degrees which is kinda neutral . just wondering how it *feels* on normal singletrack riding.
    Is it the red/blk one on eBay right now?

I've got one just like it and I think it's a wonderful trail bike. I have a Fox Vanilla R on it right now set at 130mm, but I had it set at 100mm for a while and thought it felt just fine. They came from the factory designed around and built with a 100mm fork.

I'd go for it man. Don't spend too much for it though. It's already up to $71 and they were blowing them out at Jensonusa.com for $144 not long ago.

It's killer light at 3.91lbs. I weighed mine prior to building.

Aug 2008
    hehe yeah thats the one thanks for the info

and your bike is looking good wanting it more now !

if it goes above 100 im not doing it.

we'll see how it goes plenty of good frames out there if i lose this one no biggy,i'll just buy yours *jokin*

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    hehe yeah thats the one
    Well, now that you tell me that...I'll not bid on it. I was thinking about it just to have around as extra parts become available...I'd build it. I'll just let it go cheap.

,i'll just buy yours *jokin*
    Ya know...I was thinking about getting a newer Komodo actually. The more FR oriented one. It may not be a joke

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Well, now that you tell me that...I'll not bid on it. I was thinking about it just to have around as extra parts become available...I'd build it. I'll just let it go cheap.

Ya know...I was thinking about getting a newer Komodo actually. The more FR oriented one. It may not be a joke

hmm interesting and if you want it it's cool.... p.m. me bout yours is it a 19" looks like it
    thanks for the jesture not to many decent people left in the world,you my friend seem like one of the proud few

Aug 2008
    well i got the frame long story short i was gonna bail on it ,but the wife knew i wanted it so bid on it

now im tripping cuase my old c'dale is not a good donor bike at all its got v brake wheels a headshock front old stx drivetrain etc.etc

i basiclly need everything cept cranks/bb and a headset hehe with my bike budget which is almost zero it'll be sitting there looking pretty in the basement for awhile (

i know boo hoo me im still pumped and cant wait to jamm on it!! till then ill just copy your pic and paste it for wall paper hehe

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Here's the info you req'd

I'm running:

Thomson X4 90mm stem
    Thomson Elite Layback 27.2x350mm post
    Salsa Lip Lock 32.0mm seat collar
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    Easton EA 70 Hi Rise bars
    Odi / Yeti Lock On grips
    LX rear shifter (no front shifter...1x9)
    FSA Orbit Z headset (it's called an internal cup type headset...not integrated)
    Fox Vanilla R PUSH'd 130mm fork
    Hope Pro II hubs
    DT EX 5.1d rims
    DT Comp Spokes with brass nippers
    Kenda Excavator 2.35" DTC tires
    Shimano Hone Crankset
    RaceFace 32t race ring
    Blackspire Blackguard inner guide ring
    Shimano Hone/Saint Outer bash ring
    SRAM PC 971 chain
    Shimano XT 11-34 cassette

I was running Avid Juicy 5 brakes, but they went South so SRAM sent me some 2008 Codes for free as a warranty. I'm trying to sell the Codes b/c they're too freakin' beef for what I do. I'll prob. go with some Elixir's or Stroker Trail's.

The BB shell i s 68mm. You'll prob. just have to google the geometry.

Aug 2008
    cool bud thanks im gonna go with avid bb5's for brakes thats all i know for now. my truative isis bb is 68mm so will work im 36/26 bash on front cogs they are hesselfelt cranks.it had a lx front derailer on it and comes with a headset i believe a crane creek s3 (not shure off the top of my head)

thats a nice spec i'll have to go a bit cheaper on wheels and front fork for now, i just wanna get it on the dirt for now then sell my old c'dale .watching one similar on ebay now it's at 365.00 atm with some time left :P hope mine will go for that. i can get a good front springy for that green thanks a million !! i'll keep ya posted on everything

my bud has his ironhorse ht at my house for awhile im eyeing his wheels/disks/forks etc.. lol but for now im riding it .im gonna talk to him if he dosent mind me riding it for a few months i may put my super v up now and get better parts sooner. he is too busy with stuff to ride for now,he may go for the idea or i'll have him over for lots of coronas and talk him into switching his parts to my frame hehe i'm evil

cheers, greg

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I rock that same bike except in a 17" size.

Don't get the BB5s, I have a set of those on my commuter bike and they suck. Go with BB7s they are that much better. I put the BB7s on my Komodo and they stop as well as if not better than my Hydros on another bike. Put a good fork on it and you will love it. Adj is nice I've been running mine at about 110mm on the flat stuff and opening it up to 130 on the downhills and its working great (RS Revelation)
    I Ride Bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0