is my seat stay bent ??? 2004 xlt2- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

is my seat stay bent ??? 2004 xlt2

Hi I busted my chain stay a while back (xlt2 2004 version).

When repairing I noticed the seat stay is not totally symetrical. The right hand fork of the seat stay appears to be about an inch higher (if was messuring from the ground) than the left fork of the seat stay.

Can you tell me if this is meant to be like this or maybe I bent the seat stay when the chain stay broke (as was a lot of downward pressure on the rear when the stay broke on left side.)

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member
    Take the bike to your LBS, they don't have to carry jamis to tell you if itis bent or not, from you description however, i think that it might be, but it would take a ton of force to do something like that to the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I figured it was bent so unbent it

Hi I just figured it was bent, un bent it by hand easy as pie with a vice and a bit of muscle. Really not that hard to do and I can see how when the chain stay broke that it may have bent the seat stay..

Also put in new pivot bearings purchased at the local bearing place (go to an auto parts dealer and ask where is the local bearing shop). Just take your old bearing and they will give you new ones - I got the sealed ones. If you don't know the size they can meassure the bearing easily and give you the correct size.

Thanks.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTree
    Hi I just figured it was bent, un bent it by hand easy as pie with a vice and a bit of muscle. Really not that hard to do and I can see how when the chain stay broke that it may have bent the seat stay..

Also put in new pivot bearings purchased at the local bearing place (go to an auto parts dealer and ask where is the local bearing shop). Just take your old bearing and they will give you new ones - I got the sealed ones. If you don't know the size they can meassure the bearing easily and give you the correct size.

Thanks.
    I'd be careful with straightening out anything made of aluminum. Unlike steel aluminum doesn't take well to bending and will eventually fatigue and crack depending on the amount it was bent and how many tweaks it took to get it back to straight. Definitely keep an eye on that seat stay for signs of cracks developing.

mtbr member
    Te problem with straitening aluminum is that it does not straighten out like steel, where you can bend it back inumeral times. the aluminum will return to the bent shape alot easier than the last time, when you origionally bent it.

Members who have read this thread: 0