my jamis xam-2 broke its chainstay- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 42 of 42
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140

    my jamis xam-2 broke its chainstay

    good day,did anyone of guys experienced this with your jamis?i use a 2008 jamis xam-2 and was trying to do jumps(i think it was a little over a foot drop) this afternoon.when i landed i heard a crack and the bike suddenly stopped!i got off the bike to check what happened and found the welds joining the chainstay and the derailleur hanger broke!man was i shocked!i weigh 220lbs and i rarely do jumps.i have been trying to go down 4 flights of stairs the past couple of days and that's it.i dont thrash the bike.i will try to upload pix tomorrow coz my friend and i will disassemble the bike tom and hopefully i can get it repaired under warranty.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: California L33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    699
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd love to see the pictures. Did you land straight? If you land at an angle you can put tremendous lateral loads on the frame that they're just not designed to take. At 220 lbs. you're not the heaviest rider here (by far) but you're no lightweight either, so everything you do will put more load on a bike than the little guys.
    To the troll mobile, away...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by California L33
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd love to see the pictures. Did you land straight? If you land at an angle you can put tremendous lateral loads on the frame that they're just not designed to take. At 220 lbs. you're not the heaviest rider here (by far) but you're no lightweight either, so everything you do will put more load on a bike than the little guys.
    i know i landed straight.i will post some pictures later because we are going to disassemble the bike to get the frame.thanks

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    [QUOTE=California L33]Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'd love to see the pictures. Did you land straight? If you land at an angle you can put tremendous lateral loads on the frame that they're just not designed to take. At 220 lbs. you're not the heaviest rider here (by far) but you're no lightweight either, so everything you do will put more load than the little one
    here is a picture of it" width="549">

  5. #5
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    that frame has a life time warranty nothing to worry about
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Actually, it does not have a lifetime warranty. From the Jamis website:
    a) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of 5" or less: 5 years
    b) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of more than 5": 2 years
    c) Komodo and Kromo bicycles: 5 years

    With that said, since it is an 08, it should be covered. BTW, your picture did not appear for me.

  7. #7
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    Actually, it does not have a lifetime warranty. From the Jamis website:
    a) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of 5" or less: 5 years
    b) Full suspension bicycles with rear suspension travel of more than 5": 2 years
    c) Komodo and Kromo bicycles: 5 years

    With that said, since it is an 08, it should be covered. BTW, your picture did not appear for me.
    not trying to start a war but I'm pretty sure your wrong hears the warranty info scanned directly from the owners manual from my 2008 jamis parker 1. pic was to big to add please got to this link
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aresab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    I have the same from My Dakar and Dakar XLT. But, I went straight to the Jamis page and got my info. In your case (and mine) we both have 5 years. I don't know when it changed, but since the 08 XAM and new are 6", it may be a bit dicey. Here is where I got my info from.

    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/warranty.html

    Funny, but the page before where click on warranty details states five years - here:
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/contact/faq.html#warranty

    No war, as you just trying to help!

  9. #9
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese
    I have the same from My Dakar and Dakar XLT. But, I went straight to the Jamis page and got my info. In your case (and mine) we both have 5 years. I don't know when it changed, but since the 08 XAM and new are 6", it may be a bit dicey. Here is where I got my info from.

    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/tech/warranty.html

    Funny, but the page before where click on warranty details states five years - here:
    http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/contact/faq.html#warranty

    No war, as you just trying to help!
    That's kinda weird one says it has a life time the other says only five years. But I think it is like a car warranty once you buy a bike it keeps the warranty it came with.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blue109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    531
    that sucks man. they said the 09s had stronger rear ends so im guessing they had issues with 08s. let us know how they treat you on the warranty issue. ive heard good and bad stories about jamis customer service.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    " width="549">this the part that failed,this really sucks.My friend will bring the frame to the deler within the week and hopefully they will replace the part or the whole frame

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    321
    hahaha that sounds VERY familiar, take it to a dealer and have them send it out for warranty, I didnt even buy mine from a dealer and still got the chainstay for free. that being said, i am still weary of it whenever i jump and I doubt that uneasiness will go away until I get a different frame.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: blue109's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    531
    you guys have me paranoid. landed ugly on a drop to flat and heard a noise. spent about an hour looking for cracks

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,687
    If there's anything that Jamis is known for...it's good bang for your buck, and frame failure.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: California L33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    If there's anything that Jamis is known for...it's good bang for your buck, and frame failure.
    Been there, done that with my '04 Dakar. Mine was a bit unusual, though, in that my head tube cracked, and I'm a strictly XC rider. They were a bit slow on the replacement, but not too bad. They're nice bikes, but in reading about problems with '08s now, it makes me think. If they've shortened their warranty, too- let's just say this does not for loyal customers make. You'd think a company that's developed a reputation for cracked frames -earned or not- would counter with bulletproof engineering, metallurgy, and lightning quick warranty claims.
    To the troll mobile, away...

  16. #16
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72

    Crack at the drop out

    Hey justbuster69, I'm about 20 lbs lighter, and that same exact thing happened to me last summer on my '08 XAM 2.0. 2 months after I bought it.

    I hit a small jump 1-2 feet, and crack. I drop 4 - 5' drops and ride lots of rough terrain too, but, this little one did it.

    The local Jamis dealer contacted Jamis for me, and the triangle was replaced within a week. Jamis was great about immediately resolving the problem. Their customer service is fantastic.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    So is this really a big issue with the '08's then? I just bought one and am starting to worry now. Maybe I need to break it before that warranty is up. Where's skip when you need some answers?!? lol

  18. #18
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    Just wear a cup. You'll be fine!

    Seriously, you could not have any problems, or you could have the same problem we all had. Just ride and when it cracks, get ready to call Jamis, and have your receipt ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails my jamis xam-2 broke its chainstay-broken-chainstay-dropout.jpg  


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zenkem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    496
    Is there any improvement in the new part because that area of the frame looks pretty weak???

    BTW, I just finished my sons Parker...pic's coming soon....

  20. #20
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    None. They say stronger metal and a better weld. My new chainstay has a blubbery weld all over the damn place. I have close to 300 trail miles on it. I'm just waiting though.

  21. #21
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Is this a problem with ALL 08s? Looking at a NOS dakar and don't want to have to deal with it when it breaks

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    14
    what about the 09's? any incidents? thanks

  23. #23
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72

    To stefanb and vinceboy

    I don't think it's all 08's or any 09's. It was described to me that there were some runs in '08 that had a metal defect in the rear triangle. The alloy mix was too brittle or something. So, that means some '08's have the problem and some don't. I'm going to guess that it was the early '08's, like first run.

    I am 195-200 lbs riding, and that could have been part of the issue too. But, to Jamis' credit, they are aware of the issue and are willing to resolve it immediately. And, I was out yesterday hitting drops and riding rock and root gardens and had no issues.

    I've been fine and confident since it was replaced last summer.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    14
    good to hear that thanks big jim
    Last edited by vinceboy; 04-12-2010 at 07:24 AM.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    3
    Ok, feeling better now. Cannot wait until this friday when the bike should get here.

  26. #26
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    You're stoked to be getting this new ride. It's a great bike. Dialing the shock and everything is going to be fun, it just takes some time and ride time until you find your personal preference. Just double check all the bolts before your first couple rides, and keep an eye on the dropout. May you have good luck and many rides without any issues!

    Cheers to dirt!

  27. #27
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim
    You're stoked to be getting this new ride. It's a great bike. Dialing the shock and everything is going to be fun, it just takes some time and ride time until you find your personal preference. Just double check all the bolts before your first couple rides, and keep an eye on the dropout. May you have good luck and many rides without any issues!

    Cheers to dirt!
    ...
    Last edited by stefanb; 04-13-2010 at 05:07 PM.

  28. #28
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    Sweet! What a hook up.

    Enjoy the ride.

    Post pics in the "Who's riding the XAM's" thread in the Jamis room when you get your bikes on dirt.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    Sad to say guys but my Jamis Xam-2 broke its drop out again!!this time i was just pedalling along when i heard and felt a crack!i looked down and saw the the drop out broke again.whats bad is that it broke on the same spot were it failed some 2 months ago.

    i already sent the frame for replacement but once i get it,i will be selling it.i dont want to risk my life with it.good thing we were just starting with our ride and hadnt gone up the mountains yet.we had to place the bike in a tricycle so that we can bring it home.

    i already bought a new frame and i am back to biking again!!

    hope jamis can fix whatever it is that is causing that part to fail

  30. #30
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    What did you buy for the replacement bike?

    That blows. I wonder if anyone from Jamis ever reads this, and if so, what their thoughts are on the defective chainstays on the Parkers, XAMs, and even their other full suspension designs. It's pretty pathetic.

    Now that Fox is delivering a 180mm 36, I think I'm going to save up for a Yeti ASR 7 for next year. That bike is incredibly stout and very solid. Well built and designed too. I've had good luck with my replaced Jamis XAM-2 chainstay, but reliability is such an issue, and I don't want to be bombing down a hill and lose the rear end or stuck in any other worse predicament.

  31. #31
    Slick Rick
    Reputation: stefanb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    565
    I ended up not getting the xam, reliability was a factor in the decision for me

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim
    What did you buy for the replacement bike?

    That blows. I wonder if anyone from Jamis ever reads this, and if so, what their thoughts are on the defective chainstays on the Parkers, XAMs, and even their other full suspension designs. It's pretty pathetic.

    Now that Fox is delivering a 180mm 36, I think I'm going to save up for a Yeti ASR 7 for next year. That bike is incredibly stout and very solid. Well built and designed too. I've had good luck with my replaced Jamis XAM-2 chainstay, but reliability is such an issue, and I don't want to be bombing down a hill and lose the rear end or stuck in any other worse predicament.
    Big Jim,i got me an ellsworth moment.the ride is great!and with the hefty rear swingarm and dropout,i dont think i will be able to break it.(fingers crossed)

  33. #33
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by justbuster69
    Big Jim,i got me an ellsworth moment.the ride is great!and with the hefty rear swingarm and dropout,i dont think i will be able to break it.(fingers crossed)
    Sweet. Have fun!

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1
    Hey, count me in!


  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    102
    My son has an '08 Parker and he has it in for it's third new triangle. The last one was supposed to be an '09 triangle, he broke both sides, up front on the left chain stay, near the derailleur hanger on the right. He weighs the same as me, 190 lbs. and is twice as strong. likes to do big jumps and play around all the time.

  36. #36
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by rfeather
    My son has an '08 Parker and he has it in for it's third new triangle. The last one was supposed to be an '09 triangle, he broke both sides, up front on the left chain stay, near the derailleur hanger on the right. He weighs the same as me, 190 lbs. and is twice as strong. likes to do big jumps and play around all the time.
    i have not broke the frame on my Parker yet knock on wood, but i Huck the sh** out of mine. how big is your kid going that he wrecked 3 rear triangles.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  37. #37
    loser
    Reputation: Big Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    72
    Jeez. Sorry to hear that rfeather.

    Insanity - I'm not sure what you're doing in the mean time, waiting for your 29er, but good luck. I hope you get it sooner.
    dying - the present continuous of "to die." Remember, sometimes we drop the "ie" and replace it with a "y" when adding "ing."

  38. #38
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim
    Jeez. Sorry to hear that rfeather.

    Insanity - I'm not sure what you're doing in the mean time, waiting for your 29er, but good luck. I hope you get it sooner.
    dying - the present continuous of "to die." Remember, sometimes we drop the "ie" and replace it with a "y" when adding "ing."
    Oh wow I new I spelled some thing wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    102
    Like I said, My son is 190 pounds, he's 6' 4" tall. He likes to play around with front wheelies and swinging the back end around. The stress of the back wheel landing sideways is probably not something it's engineered for.

  40. #40
    the test dummy
    Reputation: insanitylevel9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,487
    Quote Originally Posted by rfeather
    Like I said, My son is 190 pounds, he's 6' 4" tall. He likes to play around with front wheelies and swinging the back end around. The stress of the back wheel landing sideways is probably not something it's engineered for.
    oh ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

  41. #41
    A Enigma wrapped in Bacon
    Reputation: HOOKEM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    81
    It seems to me that this "flaw" is more of a braking induced failure. As most of the broken Jamis frames I've seen have been either at the weld or just behind it on the Brake side. I can't believe that with as many of these that have broken that there isn't a recall by Jamis I've replaced one Parker (under warranty) but won't replace another. I'll just cut my losses and find another frame.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: justbuster69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    140
    [QUOTE=HOOKEM]It seems to me that this "flaw" is more of a braking induced failure. As most of the broken Jamis frames I've seen have been either at the weld or just behind it on the Brake side. I can't believe that with as many of these that have broken that there isn't a recall by Jamis I've replaced one Parker (under warranty) but won't replace another. I'll just cut my losses and find another frame.[/QUOTE

    HOOKEM-i think it is more on the drive side that is failing.My twice failed swing arm happened on the drive side at the same EXACT spot,I was checking the other pix and mostly drive side.I was able to chat with our bike mechanic and he told me his Jamis parker also broke/failed on the drive side drop out.Talk about design flaw!Wish they could fix whatever it is that is causing it to fail

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.