Looking for first mountain bike...considering Jamis- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Looking for first mountain bike...considering Jamis

I have had a long thread going on the general discussion for a few days, and the one question that I consistently ask but no one seems to know the answer to is this -

I was very close to purchasing the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc for $500, but i'm afraid it's too much "bike" for me - I have never done this before!

I will mainly use it to and from campus (4 mile round trip), as well as on trails maybe once or twice a month. But keep in mind, i'm very new at this!

Well, my local bike shop has a Jamis sale going on (10% off), and the Jamis Trail X3 is going for $385, 10% off.

Does anyone anything about this bike? How does it compare with Specialized?
    Is it more practical for me, or should I still stick with the Specialized?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds like a good deal on the trail x3. Its a good entry level bike. If they were the same price I would get the specialized but considering they are both 2009 models the x3 is plenty of bike for what you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can vouch for the very nice geometry and feel for the X series. I recently won a a X1 in a promo giveaway Jamis is having and although the components leave something to be desired the overall feel of the bike is probably the nicest I've had in a hardtail. That is coming from a very aggressive trail rider. My brother rides a Hardrock and is very happy with it. You could break it down into components and see which is the better bike for the money but the best thing to do is get a decent test ride on both and see which one feels better to you. The X1 is as entry level as you get but it has made me a fan of Jamis. Let us know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Get the Jamis...everyone and their sister on campus will have a Specialized or Trek

Aug 2009
    I myself am seriously considering the Jamis Dakota sport.

It's $679 at jensonusa and to be honest, I can't find a bike within a few hundred bucks of that that comes remotely close in parts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you can get a dakota for 600.00 ya better pounce fast that bike msrp for 1100. thats a bike you can put some upgrades on and not feel bad about it.

Aug 2009
    It's been at 699 for ages now tehre for an 08. It dropped to 599 on Friday during their online yearly "yard" sale for that one day.

I got a KILLER deal on an 09 gt avalance 1.0 instead though. I might switch if they hook me up at that price.
    Last edited by kevhuynh; 09-16-2009 at 11:04 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0