Looking at a Dakar XC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Looking at a Dakar XC

So, I'm looking at some bikes, and noticed this one on eBay. I don't know a whole heck of a lot about Jamis, other than testing a Dragon 29er once. This is a baseline '08 model, which the seller claims originally went for just over $1K. Is this true, first of all? That's cheap for a FS. My other question is, for $800, is this a decent buy? How do these bikes ride? I'm mostly into trail XC trail riding, though would like to try my hand at racing. My main concern is the weight, which seems pretty heavy for an XC bike. But, if it handles well for the weight and climbs decently, I would still consider it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    I have the older version of the same bike (plain Dakar and Dakar Sport (has Air shock)), love it for XC. It's worthy to upgrade as well. I'd recommend going to Jenson USA, they have for $50 less and I expect their shipping will be lower too. They state the MSRP is $899, but that could be due to closeout prices. The frame has been around for ages and generally gets great reviews. You could probably look on the Jamis site at older Dakar models. Mine weighs less since I upgraded the forks to Manitou R7's. When new it weighed around 30 - 31. I know the lower end Tora forks are heavy, but they are quite stiff. One of mine came with very low end Manitou junk, splice I believe.

mtbr member
    That bike had an original MSRP of $895 according to bikepedia:
    http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...r+XC&Type=bike

So the seller is lying. The 2009 model had a MSRP of $1025, but not the 2008 model.

That frame rides decent if you have good parts on it, the bad thing is this bike has alot of heavy parts which makes it 35 pounds. 35 pounds is really heavy for XC riding, and don't even think about racing. Try to get a bike as close to the 30 pound mark as possible. Try to find one with an air suspension.

Here are a couple of other (but slightly more expensive, choices)
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...8.aspx?sc=FRGL

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Probably a simple mistake on the seller's part. Regardless, a 2 year old bike should be going for more of a discount than that.

I really like both of those bikes you posted. I noticed the XCR earlier, but hadn't seen that Sette. Thanks for the link.

I'll probably pass on the Dakar XC for now. Not a terrible bike, but not quite what I'm looking for.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you look at the specs of the bike you will see there were some upgrades done to it, which probably account for the higher asking price. The base Dakars don't really come with anything XT/LX, Thomson, etc.
    My wife has a base Dakar from 06 or 07 and it weighs quite a bit more than 27lbs and change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by unsuspended
    If you look at the specs of the bike you will see there were some upgrades done to it, which probably account for the higher asking price. The base Dakars don't really come with anything XT/LX, Thomson, etc.
    My wife has a base Dakar from 06 or 07 and it weighs quite a bit more than 27lbs and change.
    you looking at the right link? I checked the ebay auction again, and I didn't see any upgrades listsed and it's advertised at 35 pounds.

Members who have read this thread: 0