Komodo hard on wheels?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Komodo hard on wheels?

I had a wheel set on my Trek about 8 months and never had a problem.I got my Komodo and put them on it and the second ride broke a spoke.I have found that if I dont run my rear tire a little soft I break spokes.Had about 9 break over the last 6 months.Also have spokes loosen up.My friends say its because the rear triangle on the Komodo is so stout and has no give.I am 225 so I am a little bigger also.Question is do any other Komodo riders have any such problem?
    2016 Intense spider/Recluse build
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Are you a smooth rider?

mtbr member
    What do you mean smooth?
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well...do you roll over curb-sized bumps or hop over them? To you case jumps? Do you land lightly touching your rear wheel down and using your body as a shock like a big "trials" landing?

I can see how the rear tri on a Komodo could be a bit stiffer than a less supported frame. That does sound like excessive spoke breakage though...I would agree. If it's the stock wheel on your Komodo, then you may want to think about getting a "good" wheel hand built by a competant wheel builder with butted spokes. I prefer DT Competition spokes. Pretty strong an the butting allows them to be thinner where there's less stress and allows them to flex on bumps.

I think I've only broken 1 spoke on my MTB's in the last 10 years and that was just this past year on a 10 year old wheel that was a cheapie to begin with. Granted, I never do more than about 40" to flat drops.

The front wheel is probably not going to be quite as much of an issue due to the suspension fork.

Check out a good XT / Sun MTX build with some nice DT spokes. Get 36 spoke wheel. If you want an even stronger wheel, look at a 24" with a slightly bigger rear tire to compensate.

mtbr member
    The main trail I ride is very rocky with a only a couple of smaller jumps.It is a pretty jaring trail.They are 36 count WTB free ride rims with Deore hubs.I had thought of changing the spokes and nipples out to see if it would help.They have stayed true.Thanks for the spoke tips.
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

dude
    run your fingers along the spokes as you spin the wheel - does the tone of the spokes change much? Breaking spokes sounds like an unevenly tensioned wheel; which you can have even if the wheel is true.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoedotorg
    run your fingers along the spokes as you spin the wheel - does the tone of the spokes change much? Breaking spokes sounds like an unevenly tensioned wheel; which you can have even if the wheel is true.
    Now that you mention it my spokes do seem different tensions.I will take it to the guy I use tomorrow and have him redo and true it.Thanks for the idea.
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

dude
    just to clarify - drive & non drive are going to have differing tensions - it's the tension between spokes on a single side that is of concern.

mtbr member
    I took it to my mechanic today and he trued and adjusted the wheel.He said the spokes in the wheel are just not of good quaility.Said if I still have a problem he could rebuild it for me.
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Beat the crap outta that wheelset as long as you can. In the meantime, save up for an excellent quality set.

If you're freeriding, check out Mavic 729 rims.
    If you're more All Mountain...check out the DT EX 5.1d rims.

I highly recommend Hope Pro II hubs.
    1. They're very light.
    2. Excellent quality...sealed cartridge bearings.
    3. Super versatile: I've gone back'n'forth from 20mm TA to 9mm QR with the front. You can do steel freehub for use with non-carrier cassettes, or the lighter Aluminum freehub if you're gonna use carrier type cassettes. You can also do a bolt-on option or QR option for the rear hub. All setups are interchangeable.

DT spokes are great. Alpine III's are good'n'tough. I'm using DT Comps.

Members who have read this thread: 0