komodo 2 hanger & derailleur mismatch- Mtbr.com

Oct 2008

komodo 2 hanger & derailleur mismatch

my sons derailleur on komodo 2 has always been a bit of a pain banging on the frame etc, discovered that the hanger does not match the derailleur, all bikes Ive had the hanger slots into the side of the derailleur whereas these dont fit at all snugly. Not so with the Deore on these two bikes.
    Any on had a similar experience?
    And the rear wheels bend sooo easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you can get a picture posted it would help immensely in figuring out what is going on.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

dude
    on my komodo I do notice that the hanger does not fit "flush" with the frame and that's how it's supposed to fit. If that bolt is tightened down and you're not having any shifting issues, it's probably fine. I just replaced mine with a brand new one and it does not fit "flush"

If banging on the frame is the issue, you probably want to double-check the chain length - excess chain will cause the derailleur to hang pretty slack and bounce around.

mtbr member
    I just bought a 07 Komodo frame and got all my parts transfered today.I took it to the bike shop and left it to have the front and rear derailuers adjusted.I did note that the hanger did not look flush.This is abrand new frame from Jamis and the box was not crushed at all.I am hoping that they have no problems adjusting it.I will post up when I get it back and say if they said anything.It is a very good shop I took it to.

Oct 2008

komodo 2 derailleur problems

No the chain size is fine, we bought 2 x 2008 model komodo 2's, one has been downhill raced, dirtjumped and skatebowled, the other delivered newspapers and cross country runs, on both bikes we have the same problems, the derailleur slaps the bottom of the triangle, I have taken them to the importer who agrees they arent set up right and parts dont appear to match the hanger/or there may be a part missing from the derailleur that stops it going to far forward and from knocking the underside of the frame. hes contacting Jamis US to seek a fix.

By the way both dirt jumper 1 2008 forks have seized up due to leaking seals and are being repaired under warranty, apparently there was a problem in the production line. Good of them to let the market know.

Jamis US response to what is an obvious derailleur/hanger design flaw will determine just how good Jamis service is...
    I do note they are still speccing poor quality wheels in the 09 models, for a dirt jump bike thats a surprise. My son has upgraded to Funn Xlrater out of sheer frustration and going through two crap weimanns. His experience is not positive, Jamis need to do a bit more research, make a couple of changes to change a reasonable slightly flawed bike into a good bike.

dude
    Are you jumping or going downhill in granny/22T gear? That'll cause any derailleur to slap the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Buy a Shadow or SRAM RD and that won't happen.

Otherwise, learn to live with it. It's not the hanger's fault.

This has been one of the reasons SRAM has produced theirs to be static instead of free-rocking. You can adjust your tension screw all the way down and help it, but what many people have done in the past is to double over a piece of old inner tube and zip-tie it on the stay where it contacts. Then it bumps rubber instead of metal.

Nothing wrong with the bike though.

Like I said...if you don't want to do the rubber thingy, get a SRAM X.7, X.9, X.0, or Shimano XT or XTR Shadow rear derailleur.

They are designed to be static and not rock forward. I'd go XT b/c you already have the 2:1 shifters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    watch this youtube video and you'll see what I mean
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

Granted, the one in the pic looks like it may come close to the frame but not quite hit it...my XT and LX standard RD's both smacked my frame with the tension screw all the way in. My Shadow XT and X.9 stuff doesn't even think about it.

Oct 2008
    No, only one of the bikes has had vigorous use, natural attitude in specific gears on both derailleurs is up against the bar, definitely not a result of high speed in wrong gear.
    Last edited by johnhislop; 12-03-2008 at 11:58 PM.

Oct 2008
    When I buy a product I expect the quality to be at least reasonable, in this case we purchased 2 bikes that had the same faults.
    Clearly, the faut lies with design/specification, the dealer is doing the right thing by going back to Jamis who are obliged to make good, end of story.
    By the way we also purchased a Jamis dragon a few months earlier than the kmodoos and its a very good bike with no known flaws.
    Last edited by johnhislop; 12-03-2008 at 11:59 PM.

Oct 2008
    Watched the video, this is way better than our bikes; On the komodos we bought the derailleur is permanently rubbing against the frame in specific gears, like I said thats not acceptable performance and the design/spec is flawed, quite simply they dont perform as they should.

mtbr member
    i have an 05 komodo and i have never even come close to experiencing anything like you are talking about, my hanger fits totally flush and tight, maybe something was off in a season of production, i dont know. seriously tho dude- talking about parts spec for bikes in the komodo price range that is what you should expect- less than a season of riding on mine both rims totally bent, deraillers and brakes trashed. im getting a new wheelset and turning it into a singlespeed. it did last longer than similiar bikes in that pricerange tho....

Oct 2008
    These are the facts; these two bikes are 08 models, they retail at $1700 NZ ea... (same as STP1)
    Yours was 05, thats a big difference isnt it? I dont expect a wheel to bend in the first hour of use, 2nd wheel bent after a weeks use.
    Seriously dude; what should be coming clear to you is the fact that the wheelset is not suited for dirt jump, so why call it a dirtjump bike? The derailleur setup isnt siuited for jumps or even cross country, so why refer in advertising that it can handle this stuff? I cant explain that logic just like I cant explain why they still have the weimann wheelset?
    Clearly, the ad hype exceeds the bikes true value and we should have bought STPs...
    But the importer has the bikes, recognises the issues and is dealing with them, thats the good news. Cheers JH

mtbr member
    well the retail price on jamis website is actually 1175, regardless that shouldnt happen... i have no experience with weinmann rims but imagine they must be some sort of cheapie. i was thinking komodo 2 mustve retailed more like 600 something, point being you may get a good frame and few decent parts, the rest you upgrade as you go. i got tired of doing that and just built up a transition vagrant like tank; had thought about picking up one of the new komodos, liked the new frame geo, 18.5" has a really high standover height on the '05 which really bugs me. well good luck j

Oct 2008
    yeah cheers, I understand why you could afford to do that the deals for bike spares in the US are so good. When the international exchange rates are good many people purchase spares from the US for that reason. In New Zealand where we live, bikes and spares are pricey.

mtbr member
    damn bro i guess then that is much more of an issue to make sure you have a good strong quality package to begin with then, i hear where your comin from much more now and ya thats gotta be really frustrating

Members who have read this thread: 0