Just bought a 2009 Komodo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Just bought a 2009 Komodo

I have a Komodo coming in a few weeks that I got from my LBS. They found an 09 model in another store and gave me the bike for $500. Needless to say I feel I got a solid deal on this bike.

I plan to use it for cruising around my area, but also hitting trails. I like to ride fairly aggressive and take some jumps. I also like to practice hops and jumps randomly when I am still wheeling around in the city, so I figured this bike would be a nice match for that.Getting a XC only bike like the Cannondale f7 seemed like it would limit how aggressive I could ride, so here I am.

With all that being said, what can I expect from this bike, and what components need to be swapped immediately? I am not sure the quality of the pedals as that would be my first upgrade, unless they are good. Any input on this bike would be great..thanks.

the test dummy
    id change the fork. if im not mistaken it has a rst launch which is trash.
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by insanitylevel9
    id change the fork. if im not mistaken it has a rst launch which is trash.

You are correct sir. I figure I can get 4-6 months out of this fork before I need to upgrade it. any you folks reccomend in the $3-400 range? And also, should I stick with 130mm, or does the bike handle lesser size as well also? I like having the extra travel, I cant lie. It will be more of a workout when I am riding, but oh well.

the test dummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter
    You are correct sir. I figure I can get 4-6 months out of this fork before I need to upgrade it. any you folks reccomend in the $3-400 range? And also, should I stick with 130mm, or does the bike handle lesser size as well also? I like having the extra travel, I cant lie. It will be more of a workout when I am riding, but oh well.
    um i think it has 100 mm travel on the front but its a dirt jump bike so its probably strong enough to put a 130mm on it. for a fork in that price range there is this it was taken off another bike new. the steer tube is all ready cut so it may not fit, but hey at 219 bucks its hard to go wrong also it was 404 before the discount.
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    No, it is a 130mm travel on this 2009. But yeah, that fork looks awesome for the price. Thanks.

How are the stock pedals on this? I like platforms and they look much better then the crappy stock plastic ones I have seen on other models at the same price.

the test dummy
    i dont have one, but they look like the same peddles as my parker and there all right. and you are right it does come with a 130 just checked the specs.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Yeah, I was going to buy a Cannondale F7, but I wanted a bike that was more aggressive. There's not a lot of tough hills in FL, so I didn't see the point for a pure XC when I could get something that I can abuse more. The first upgrade on the F7 would have been pedals, but if these are ok, then I am good.

I will probably make the fork my first upgrade and then the brakes later on. Anything else I should think about to lighten it just a few pounds or will a better fork do it?

the test dummy
    i'd imagine the new fork would be a lot lighter its a claimed 4 pounds and the rst is probably a lot heavier. also i would make it a 1x8 makes riding alot more simple and being in oh so hilly Florida i don't think you the granny gears. hears the spec for the bike if you dont have the full specs
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Awesome...how would I make it a 1x8, and what is the advantage? Makes the bike lighter? I am still on a noob on some of this stuff.

the test dummy
    not a problem, a 1x8 or 1x9 is when you take the low and high gears off the cranks and just leave the middle. you also take the front Derailleur off and the release levers. the advantages are theirs less shifting to thing about making the ride more simple.you also don't have the low gears to peddle really fast and go no were. you would have to get a jump stop. but if you are buying it new from a shop just ask them to make it a 1x8 for you. any more questions feel free to ask
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    Oh yeah..I love that idea. That should shave off some weight too. I can handle the weight as is, but if this bike was 29-30 pounds, it would be perfect.

the test dummy
    i like the 1x8 its really nice
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    I am also looking to get a better font tire after riding Santos. I never bailed but the roots were getting pretty slick. I also would love to have a spare tire. The saddle, tires, shifters and frame are all pretty quality on this bike.

I did hit a small rock garden and it was no problem. Going downhill on this thing is a party..I love it.

Curb Jumper
    I know this is a fairly old topic but I am glad I found it. I'm looking into getting a Komodo or a Dakar XC within the next week or so. I'm also living in FL (central relocated from south) and I ride a lot of XC with some FR (jumps/drops) thrown in. I'm thinking the Dakar would be too much of a dedicated XC bike for me and this thread has helped the decision making a lot for me, plus the Komodo is current $200 cheaper than the Dakar XC

mtbr member
    I got an email notification on this so I figured I'd respond.

I love the Komodo. It is awesome for FL. You will just need to get used to dropping the seat when you want to go big and then raising it for longer trails. That is about it. There is no reason to get a pure XC bike in florida because there are no climbs that require it. The Komodo is a tank and will eat trails up. It will handle drops with ease. I have taken it off 10 footers with no issues.

I personally think it is the best deal for the price that you can get, especially if you want to get some air.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Do you have any advice about the size and how the bike fit you? I'm currently looking at the 2009 Komodo but can't decide whether to get the 14 or 16.5. FWIW I'm 6'0 180lbs.

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by gc075
    Do you have any advice about the size and how the bike fit you? I'm currently looking at the 2009 Komodo but can't decide whether to get the 14 or 16.5. FWIW I'm 6'0 180lbs.
    That's hilarious. I was just about to post the exact same thing! Are you looking on Jenson because those are the only 2 sizes they have in stock I'm about 5'11"-6' and ~160lbs.

mtbr member
    I use the 16.5 and am 5'8. Go with that one. The bike fits me great but I imagine it will be perfect for anyone 5'7 to 6'0.

Holy crap, it is only $415, that is an incredible steal for the K1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by [dB]Will
    That's hilarious. I was just about to post the exact same thing! Are you looking on Jenson because those are the only 2 sizes they have in stock I'm about 5'11"-6' and ~160lbs.
    Yup, I've been considering a DJ for a little while and decided this would be the right deal. From the specs I think either could work for me so I'm going to try to find a LBS this weekend to test. My only bike is a 19inch XC but the top tube of the 16.5inch komodo is longer than my XC's top tube.

Curb Jumper
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Hitter
    Holy crap, it is only $415, that is an incredible steal for the K1.
    One of the main reasons I'm even considering this bike. Seems like a great deal on a nice bike with loads of potential to build over the next couple years.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Looking at jensonusa as well

Hey I haven't been biking for a few years but the jensonusa price is too good to pass up. I'm looking at the komodo 2 and was wondering what you guys thought of the ride/fit. I'm 5'6" so I'm not sure what size would be best? Also prob gonna switch the DJ1 to a 55r - is that a good idea? Want the bike to be good for all mountain/light fr as well as dirt jumping.

mtbr member
    i went with the 16.5, im roughly 5'9-10 and it fits like a glove. 150lbs as well

Curb Jumper
    Don't know if any of you guys caught this, but on July 18th I pulled the trigger and ordered my Komodo. Was slated for an almost 2 week delivery and showed up in 3 days! She's soon to get some neon green accents, maybe a PIKE in the near future and maybe some hydro brakes. I like the saddle but I might go with something that fits the theme a little better.

Info: I'm ~5'11" and 155lbs. I went with the 16.5 and it's perfect! Smaller would be too small and bigger would be too big. I'm extremely happy.

my other hobby

mtbr member
    Congrats, thats a nice bike. I have an 05 that I love.

icalebkim
    Aww... I wanna Komodo now!

Members who have read this thread: 0