Jamis XCT 650b bikes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Jamis XCT 650b bikes

Hey guys,

I am thinking of purchasing a Jamis XCT 650b bike this summer. I've only been able to find one or two reviews and they haven't been super helpful. I already have a 29 hardtail that I will be keeping for XC racing and such. However, I live within day-trip distance of Asheville and Chattanooga and would like a bike that can more easily handle some technical terrain. Won't be doing any drops of more than 3-4 feet max and want a bike that can still climb pretty decent. Doesn't need to be a rocket going up, but I don't want this bike if it seems out of it's element when climbing.

Just curious on some owners' opinions of the XCT 650b as an all around trail bike.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I ride a 2014 Pro frame with 2013 Pro parts and love it. The best way to describe it is just playful. It climbs as well as any bike I've ridden and better than a lot of them, is stable and is a rocket downhill.

I did break the 2013 frame, but it was was determined the L was too small so Jamis sent a XL frame which has been perfect. I'll add Jamis has the very best customer service and warranty department on the planet.

I live in N Ga and ride the trails in Chattanooga pretty often and the Dakar XCT handles them well.

Hope this helps!
    2015 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Team

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cycling51 View Post
    I ride a 2014 Pro frame with 2013 Pro parts and love it. The best way to describe it is just playful. It climbs as well as any bike I've ridden and better than a lot of them, is stable and is a rocket downhill.

I did break the 2013 frame, but it was was determined the L was too small so Jamis sent a XL frame which has been perfect. I'll add Jamis has the very best customer service and warranty department on the planet.

I live in N Ga and ride the trails in Chattanooga pretty often and the Dakar XCT handles them well.

Hope this helps!

This is exactly what I needed to hear! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    So what did you wind up doing?
    2015 Jamis Dakar XCT 650b Team

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I haven't been able to purchase one yet. I'm planning on getting the Comp version and throwing an X9 1x10 drivetrain that I already have on it plus buying some nicer wheels. I've had X-Fusion stuff on previous bikes and have absolutely loved it so I think that will be the way to go for me

mtbr member
    A little late to this conversation but a few weeks back I picked up a new 2013 XCT 650 Comp for a really good price. I have 70+ miles on it now and have been really enjoying it. Couple of days ago I met my brother who rides a couple of year old Kona Tanuki and we went riding at Canyons Resort in PC UT. Rode the Ganjala to mid mountain and took the Mid Mountain trail south to where it meets Ambush. Something I have never been able to do before was keep up with him on the climbs as I am a little older and 65 pounds heavier and a couple of inches taller. Except this time on the climbing part of the ride I was on his back tire the whole time and would even at times get ahead of him. Not a race but still have never been able to do this and I attribute this to the 27.5 wheels and the way the bike climbs and rolls a little better then a 26 incher.

I have had to replace the front rim already as it took the shape of a taco the first week and bought one for the rear but have not changed it yet but other then that is has been no problems. What I have found is that there is not a lot of info on the net about this bike and the little bits have been mostly not on the plus side but I have no regrets. At my age I am more conservative in my riding and am not so gonzo as most out there it seems but it is a fun bike and one I plan on riding for a long time.
    Such a long long time to be gone, such a short time to be.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks for your input! I have found the same thing about online reviews for the Dakar. I actually got to ride one in the parking lot today. I really liked the way it pedaled and I think it will be real nice out on the trail