Jamis sixfifty B comp 2012 chainstay break?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Jamis sixfifty B comp 2012 chainstay break?

My riding buddy just broke the non-driveside chainstay on a ride a couple days ago. We were in a sharp transition from downhill to uphill, a spot where you can g-out from the forces. He was behind me, and we heard a sharp "pop". He stopped because the frame felt "loose", and we discovered that the chainstay sheared off at the weld behind the BB.

He's a relative newbie to MTB, so he's not a hucker at all. He's fallen a couple times at low speeds, mostly because he sucks at getting out of clipless pedals.

A few things that stink:
    - he bought the bike at EMS (Eastern Mtn. Sports; we're in New England) a few years back, and they're no longer a Jamis dealer
    - according to the warranty on the Jamis website, I think he's out of warranty now. They say any frames over 5" have a 2 year warranty.
    - he can't find his receipt from the original purchase.

Has anyone had a chainstay break on their sixfifty B alloy frame? If he's out of the warranty period, does Jamis have any kind of crash replacement policy?

We tried calling the closest Jamis dealer, about 40 mi away, but they had no clue, since they said they sell Jamis roadbikes almost exclusively.

Thanks for any help!
    D

mtbr member
    In the past Jamis has considered the 130MM of the XCT and XLT line as 5" with a 5 year warranty. The AMT and Downhill bikes only appear to have a 2 year warranty. I would contact Jamis, they are really great to deal with and most likely will take care of him but may ask that the work goes through a dealer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for your reply! I think it's huge that they'd consider the 130mm bikes to be within the 5 yr warranty group of their bikes. Any idea of a phone number to reach them? Their website only has a mailing address, so far as I could see.
    D

mtbr member
    This off the back of my owner's manual.

P.O. BOX 100
    Northvale, NJ 07647

Tel: (201) 768-9050
    Fax: (201) 768-9520

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    You're a lifesaver, Aresab! Thank you!

Rides all the bikes!
    Curious what happened.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was contacted by Jamis directly because of this thread, and they're going to work with EMS to warranty his bike (which is, in fact, covered by the 5 yr warranty!) even though they don't sell Jamis anymore. EMS, for their part, found a copy of the receipt from the purchase. My friend, I believe, dropped off his bike at EMS but has been away for a 10 day canoe trip, so I don't know anything beyond that. Will post when all is said and done.

So far, I've been impressed with Jamis' responsiveness.
    D

Rides all the bikes!
    Curious, since I'm on the same bike (just Pro level), his hard does he ride it? You said newbie but it is a 3 year old bike so I imagine he has three years. I'm new yo MTB this year but ride hard, I just don't jump much (stupid fear of heights). I've G'ed out and bottom countless times (I have to run a lot of extra air for my normal rides).

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Not a hard rider. He's a 45yo father of 2 who would rather skate ski in a permanent winter than breathe, and he's not into tricks, jumps, hucking, etc. he goes slowish on the downs and has a large engine for climbs and long rides. He weighs about 170.

Rides all the bikes!
    Hopefully I'll stay lucky