Jamis service and 2nd hand bikes question...- Mtbr.com
    [NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Jun 2009

Jamis service and 2nd hand bikes question...

So I've been reading about broken chain stays and how well Jamis takes care of their customers. I am wondering if this service applies to 2nd owners.

Scenario: I am considering a trade involving a 2005 Dakar Anniversary frame/custom build. Current owner bought the frame new, "dealer blowout", in 2007 and may or may not have receipt, I haven't asked yet.

I would hate to work this deal, have the frame/chain stay crack, then not be able to take care of it. Right now, the frame is in excellent condition and has no issues.

Is it possible/practical/helpful to re-enforce/gusset the chain stay?

Bomber
    [NEC] No Excuses Campaign
    Surly Pugsley
    Surly Pugsley Neck Romancer
    Surly CC
    Fatties Fit Fine

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Jamis has been great! They have helped me in many ways, and keep me riding Jamis bikes!!! They have gone way above and beyond any level of customer service that I could expect from any company! It really depends on your dealer, if they want to warranty the bike or not.
    I have snapped a few chainstays, and they have done a redesign, so we will see if this one is better. usually only a few days down time.
    I am a machinist by trade, and would not weld, or reinforce the chainstay.
    weld will weaken the aluminum, and a composite wrap will hide the new crack if it happens.

I ride a 2006 Dakar XC Comp. for XC
    I am upgrading to the XAM for aggresive riding.
    Last edited by adrock; 08-11-2009 at 08:30 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0