Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum

Since I can't find a true forum dedicated to these great bikes I wanted to start one. Please feel free to share your photos, bike setup, parts list, questions, etc so we can help each other make these better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    response from their CMO on carbon frames.

if you have evil bikes on one end of the spectrum, jamis is holding down the other in terms of tone.

"We have not released any information on a carbon version of the Portal. Ití is something weíre testing with our athletes, as we do with all our performance bikes. Some make it to market and some donít. Thereís no way to give any exact timeline on when a carbon Portal will be available or if it will become available at all at this stage.

Below are a handful of links to articles that have been released on the Portal and Hardline bikes. [sends links to "first look" blurbs from a year ago] Long term tests by publications are underway and should be released throughout spring/summer.

Thanks for your interest."

i guess carbon molds are cheap these days?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm currently trying out 29er wheels on my Portal but here is my custon build spec and photos.

Frame Jamis Portal Size 15 with Cane Creek DBair IL Shock
    Fork MRP Ribbon 140mm travel
    Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 I.S. integrated cup, 8mm cone spacer
    Wheels Spank Oozy 350 27.5" tubeless rims, 32H, Onyx Racing Hubs15x110mm front & 12x148mm rear 6-bolt disc hubs, double butted spokes
    Tires Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x2.6 Tubeless
    Derailleurs Shimano SLX Shadow Plus, 11-speed with Wolftooth Cage and Goatlink
    Shift levers Shimano Xt, 1x11-speed
    Chain Box
    Cassette Shimano M8000, 11-speed, 11-49 (Using Wolftooth cassette expander)
    Crankset Race Face SixC 165mm (Not pictured)
    BB Set Race Face BSA
    Pedals Crank Brothers Stamp 1
    Brakeset Hope Tech 3 X2 with 180F and 160R Rotors
    Handlebar Box Components Carbon, 700mm x 5mm rise, 35mm diameter
    Stem Industry Nine, 35mm clamp diameter
    Grips Jamis Lock-On
    Seat Post PNW Rainier 125mm drop with Wolftooth Remote
    Saddle WTB Volt

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-img_20190420_130558841_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm really enjoying my portal so far, despite temporarily running the Reba off my hardtail. I've got a fox 36 that was just delivered that I'll install this week. Build is nothing fancy and will likely change as funds allow, take off parts from both my hardtail and my old fs frame.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-received_426220701279945.jpg

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-20190420_194043.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Your portal looks nice! Are you running 29er wheels on it? I just got a ride with 29er wheels, normal was 27.5+, and the 29ers are much better on this bike. I need to tweak my rebound as I lost some of the "pop" with the bigger wheel but I love how they roll. The steering even feels better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    i want one of these bikes as soon as they make an xxl version!

jamis if your listening. Build it and we will come!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmx435 View Post
    Your portal looks nice! Are you running 29er wheels on it? I just got a ride with 29er wheels, normal was 27.5+, and the 29ers are much better on this bike. I need to tweak my rebound as I lost some of the "pop" with the bigger wheel but I love how they roll. The steering even feels better.

29. I tried it both ways and preferred 29 on it also. My plus wheels will stay on my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Did a 20 mile xc race yesterday morning and then installed my 36 at my friend's shop. Now looking towards a longer dropper and maybe a 2nd wheelset before dh park season starts in a few weeks, plus an enduro next month in Marquette. Really enjoying this bike.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-20190504_164719.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Weight of complete build

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Did a 20 mile xc race yesterday morning and then installed my 36 at my friend's shop. Now looking towards a longer dropper and maybe a 2nd wheelset before dh park season starts in a few weeks, plus an enduro next month in Marquette. Really enjoying this bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190504_164719.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	1250075
    I demoed this bike recently thought it was perfect. But, I also thought it may have been heavy and am not sure if I was just feeling bad that day. Can anyone give me a compete build weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieg7227 View Post
    I demoed this bike recently thought it was perfect. But, I also thought it may have been heavy and am not sure if I was just feeling bad that day. Can anyone give me a compete build weight?
    Hi, mine weighs in at 31lbs. I don't feel its that heavy on the trail with it's ability to carry speed down and up hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmx435 View Post
    Hi, mine weighs in at 31lbs. I don't feel its that heavy on the trail with it's ability to carry speed down and up hills.
    That is not bad, what size frame and make of 29 tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieg7227 View Post
    That is not bad, what size frame and make of 29 tires?
    It's a size 15 and the tires are Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    that's pretty dope. really wish they were releasing the carbon in the next two months. this segments red hot right now. got a deposit on a ripmo, but i really want to ride one lol..

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    that's pretty dope. really wish they were releasing the carbon in the next two months. this segments red hot right now. got a deposit on a ripmo, but i really want to ride one lol..
    I have to ask, is there really going to be that major of a difference between the aluminum and carbon? Sure you save a little weight but nothing that is significant enough to say wait if you're in the market now. The only downside I see is a lot of people don't have the ability to test ride this bike and that's why I created the page. In all honesty because of the grip this bike provides it climbs with really good efficiency and the handling is nimble that in tight sections you can easily throw it around. You may save a pound if it were carbon but I don't think you'll see that as an improvement on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    valid question - if i was looking at the hardline - i'd say no, it doesn't matter.

for an all-around trail bike, i'm a huge weight weenie. if i was a stronger rider and/or weighed more, it wouldn't matter as much FOR ME. i notice things like 1/4lb or 10mm in fork offset or a loose shock busing right away. some riders are less sensitive.

there are just too many good carbon options out there with no real downsides (other than up-front cost).

there's a good VitalMTB interview with Jeff Steber at Intense, about how he got burned trying to hold out too long on US-built alloy frames while Santa Cruz was making money hand over fist on CF bikes.

the market has spoken. $3K CF frames sell. alot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    valid question - if i was looking at the hardline - i'd say no, it doesn't matter.

for an all-around trail bike, i'm a huge weight weenie. if i was a stronger rider and/or weighed more, it wouldn't matter as much FOR ME. i notice things like 1/4lb or 10mm in fork offset or a loose shock busing right away. some riders are less sensitive.

there are just too many good carbon options out there with no real downsides (other than up-front cost).

there's a good interview with Jeff Steber at Intense, about how he got burned trying to hold out too long on US-built alloy frames while Santa Cruz was making money hand over fist on CF bikes.

the market has spoken. $3K CF frames sell. alot.
    I agree that the market is all about carbon framed bikes. I also get your point on the sensitivity of the weight and other items. When I raced road bikes I could tell small weights for the same reasons as you but I started riding mountain bike again to just enjoy riding. On the road it's all about weight and carbon, aluminum was almost lost and there's something I just like with aluminum over carbon for it's feel. The portal and Hardline definitely have a challenge since they are aluminum but at their price point as frame and complete I think they're a great deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    they're an excellent deal. $1600(?) for a solid frame with that level of suspension sophistication is awesome.

re weight/feel i hear you. part of me wants to say fk it and get one of those steel + coil FS bikes coming out of the UK.

on the Moto side, KTM is killing it right now with their steel frames compared with the super-stiff alloy Japanese stuff. some flex and feel is important, and CF certainly CAN be too stiff at times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Portal rear tire clearance

In case anyone was wondering, the Portal clears a 29x2.6 Rekon with heaps of clearance, and a 2.6 Mezcal just barely. The Mezcal ever so slightly kisses the seat tube when the bike is in the low flip chip and the shock is 100% bottomed out, but it hasnít manifested while riding for me, even with some super hard bottom outs.