Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2019

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum

Since I can't find a true forum dedicated to these great bikes I wanted to start one. Please feel free to share your photos, bike setup, parts list, questions, etc so we can help each other make these better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    response from their CMO on carbon frames.

if you have evil bikes on one end of the spectrum, jamis is holding down the other in terms of tone.

"We have not released any information on a carbon version of the Portal. It is something were testing with our athletes, as we do with all our performance bikes. Some make it to market and some dont. Theres no way to give any exact timeline on when a carbon Portal will be available or if it will become available at all at this stage.

Below are a handful of links to articles that have been released on the Portal and Hardline bikes. [sends links to "first look" blurbs from a year ago] Long term tests by publications are underway and should be released throughout spring/summer.

Thanks for your interest."

i guess carbon molds are cheap these days?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I'm currently trying out 29er wheels on my Portal but here is my custon build spec and photos.

Frame Jamis Portal Size 15 with Cane Creek DBair IL Shock
    Fork MRP Ribbon 140mm travel
    Headset FSA Orbit 1.5 I.S. integrated cup, 8mm cone spacer
    Wheels Spank Oozy 350 27.5" tubeless rims, 32H, Onyx Racing Hubs15x110mm front & 12x148mm rear 6-bolt disc hubs, double butted spokes
    Tires Schwalbe Rocket Ron 27.5x2.6 Tubeless
    Derailleurs Shimano SLX Shadow Plus, 11-speed with Wolftooth Cage and Goatlink
    Shift levers Shimano Xt, 1x11-speed
    Chain Box
    Cassette Shimano M8000, 11-speed, 11-49 (Using Wolftooth cassette expander)
    Crankset Race Face SixC 165mm (Not pictured)
    BB Set Race Face BSA
    Pedals Crank Brothers Stamp 1
    Brakeset Hope Tech 3 X2 with 180F and 160R Rotors
    Handlebar Box Components Carbon, 700mm x 5mm rise, 35mm diameter
    Stem Industry Nine, 35mm clamp diameter
    Grips Jamis Lock-On
    Seat Post PNW Rainier 125mm drop with Wolftooth Remote
    Saddle WTB Volt

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-img_20190420_130558841_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm really enjoying my portal so far, despite temporarily running the Reba off my hardtail. I've got a fox 36 that was just delivered that I'll install this week. Build is nothing fancy and will likely change as funds allow, take off parts from both my hardtail and my old fs frame.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-received_426220701279945.jpg

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-20190420_194043.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Your portal looks nice! Are you running 29er wheels on it? I just got a ride with 29er wheels, normal was 27.5+, and the 29ers are much better on this bike. I need to tweak my rebound as I lost some of the "pop" with the bigger wheel but I love how they roll. The steering even feels better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    i want one of these bikes as soon as they make an xxl version!

jamis if your listening. Build it and we will come!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmx435 View Post
    Your portal looks nice! Are you running 29er wheels on it? I just got a ride with 29er wheels, normal was 27.5+, and the 29ers are much better on this bike. I need to tweak my rebound as I lost some of the "pop" with the bigger wheel but I love how they roll. The steering even feels better.

29. I tried it both ways and preferred 29 on it also. My plus wheels will stay on my hardtail.

mtbr member
    Did a 20 mile xc race yesterday morning and then installed my 36 at my friend's shop. Now looking towards a longer dropper and maybe a 2nd wheelset before dh park season starts in a few weeks, plus an enduro next month in Marquette. Really enjoying this bike.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-20190504_164719.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Weight of complete build

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Did a 20 mile xc race yesterday morning and then installed my 36 at my friend's shop. Now looking towards a longer dropper and maybe a 2nd wheelset before dh park season starts in a few weeks, plus an enduro next month in Marquette. Really enjoying this bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190504_164719.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	305.2 KB 
ID:	1250075
    I demoed this bike recently thought it was perfect. But, I also thought it may have been heavy and am not sure if I was just feeling bad that day. Can anyone give me a compete build weight?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieg7227 View Post
    I demoed this bike recently thought it was perfect. But, I also thought it may have been heavy and am not sure if I was just feeling bad that day. Can anyone give me a compete build weight?
    Hi, mine weighs in at 31lbs. I don't feel its that heavy on the trail with it's ability to carry speed down and up hills.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbmx435 View Post
    Hi, mine weighs in at 31lbs. I don't feel its that heavy on the trail with it's ability to carry speed down and up hills.
    That is not bad, what size frame and make of 29 tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieg7227 View Post
    That is not bad, what size frame and make of 29 tires?
    It's a size 15 and the tires are Schwalbe Rocket Ron 29x2.25

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    that's pretty dope. really wish they were releasing the carbon in the next two months. this segments red hot right now. got a deposit on a ripmo, but i really want to ride one lol..

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by FactoryMatt View Post
    that's pretty dope. really wish they were releasing the carbon in the next two months. this segments red hot right now. got a deposit on a ripmo, but i really want to ride one lol..
    I have to ask, is there really going to be that major of a difference between the aluminum and carbon? Sure you save a little weight but nothing that is significant enough to say wait if you're in the market now. The only downside I see is a lot of people don't have the ability to test ride this bike and that's why I created the page. In all honesty because of the grip this bike provides it climbs with really good efficiency and the handling is nimble that in tight sections you can easily throw it around. You may save a pound if it were carbon but I don't think you'll see that as an improvement on the trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    valid question - if i was looking at the hardline - i'd say no, it doesn't matter.

for an all-around trail bike, i'm a huge weight weenie. if i was a stronger rider and/or weighed more, it wouldn't matter as much FOR ME. i notice things like 1/4lb or 10mm in fork offset or a loose shock busing right away. some riders are less sensitive.

there are just too many good carbon options out there with no real downsides (other than up-front cost).

there's a good VitalMTB interview with Jeff Steber at Intense, about how he got burned trying to hold out too long on US-built alloy frames while Santa Cruz was making money hand over fist on CF bikes.

the market has spoken. $3K CF frames sell. alot.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    valid question - if i was looking at the hardline - i'd say no, it doesn't matter.

for an all-around trail bike, i'm a huge weight weenie. if i was a stronger rider and/or weighed more, it wouldn't matter as much FOR ME. i notice things like 1/4lb or 10mm in fork offset or a loose shock busing right away. some riders are less sensitive.

there are just too many good carbon options out there with no real downsides (other than up-front cost).

there's a good interview with Jeff Steber at Intense, about how he got burned trying to hold out too long on US-built alloy frames while Santa Cruz was making money hand over fist on CF bikes.

the market has spoken. $3K CF frames sell. alot.
    I agree that the market is all about carbon framed bikes. I also get your point on the sensitivity of the weight and other items. When I raced road bikes I could tell small weights for the same reasons as you but I started riding mountain bike again to just enjoy riding. On the road it's all about weight and carbon, aluminum was almost lost and there's something I just like with aluminum over carbon for it's feel. The portal and Hardline definitely have a challenge since they are aluminum but at their price point as frame and complete I think they're a great deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    they're an excellent deal. $1600(?) for a solid frame with that level of suspension sophistication is awesome.

re weight/feel i hear you. part of me wants to say fk it and get one of those steel + coil FS bikes coming out of the UK.

on the Moto side, KTM is killing it right now with their steel frames compared with the super-stiff alloy Japanese stuff. some flex and feel is important, and CF certainly CAN be too stiff at times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Portal rear tire clearance

In case anyone was wondering, the Portal clears a 29x2.6 Rekon with heaps of clearance, and a 2.6 Mezcal just barely. The Mezcal ever so slightly kisses the seat tube when the bike is in the low flip chip and the shock is 100% bottomed out, but it hasnt manifested while riding for me, even with some super hard bottom outs.

mtbr member
    Well, I still love my portal.Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-img_20190803_222636_873.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    In case anyone was wondering, the Portal clears a 29x2.6 Rekon with heaps of clearance, and a 2.6 Mezcal just barely. The Mezcal ever so slightly kisses the seat tube when the bike is in the low flip chip and the shock is 100% bottomed out, but it hasnt manifested while riding for me, even with some super hard bottom outs.
    What rim width you using with the 2.6?
    I am running portal a2 with the stock 2.35 vittoria tires on 25mm internal width but looking at upgrading wheelset and moving to a 2.5 or 2.6 tire...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by oldsklrdr View Post
    What rim width you using with the 2.6?
    I am running portal a2 with the stock 2.35 vittoria tires on 25mm internal width but looking at upgrading wheelset and moving to a 2.5 or 2.6 tire...
    I started out with 35i wheels, and got a set of 30i recently. Both cleared 2.5 and 2.6 tires just fine.

Also, I love my Portal that I custom built. It is far and away the best bike I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No plans for an XXL size at this point, but if you get a chance to sit on a 21" frame, you'll find they fit fairly long. If you're 6'6" or less, you can ride the XL comfortably.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Seems like everyone here already knows how awesome these bikes are, but we wanted to share a nice review that just came out from Singletracks.com

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    o hey, the first review of hopefully many more that your CMO promised 6 months ago.

it's got them housing-eating cable stops that Van Dessel's factory also uses.

i'm salty because i care. this suspension design deserves to be front and center with top-notch execution and marketing support.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by @Jamisbikes View Post
    Seems like everyone here already knows how awesome these bikes are, but we wanted to share a nice review that just came out from Singletracks.com

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/
    That's all well and good @Jamisbikes but it seems the issue is getting a hold of one. Having a look online, doesn't appear to be a lot of options, and here in Australia there's next to no info on them at all. Even a local Jamis dealer couldn't tell me much.

Will we see any increase in availability and maybe some more build kit options? Bike itself looks awesome, would definitely love to try one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by @Jamisbikes View Post
    No plans for an XXL size at this point, but if you get a chance to sit on a 21" frame, you'll find they fit fairly long. If you're 6'6" or less, you can ride the XL comfortably.
    Since Jamis is listening. Im interested in an xxl frame. My 18 xxl stumpjumper has a similar ettl but the xxl stack is 689 vs 634 on the jamis. I also run a 38mm riser bar. Same chain stay length. I find the stumpy could be longer as im running a 70mm zero degree stem.

Ideally it would be great to have a chain stay increase to 450 and ettl to 690. Reach at 500. Stack needs to jump to 665. Then run a longer shock to keep ratio lower for air spring support for heavier riders!

I dream on.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Carbon vs Alum test
    https://youtu.be/0gnh_S_zXoo

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by madstace View Post

Will we see any increase in availability and maybe some more build kit options? Bike itself looks awesome, would definitely love to try one.
    For 2020 there will be a total of 5 Portal and 5 Hardline build options available. From $2999USD to $8000USD. Carbon and Aluminum frames. I can but probably shouldnt share more details until their official release.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    For 2020 there will be a total of 5 Portal and 5 Hardline build options available. From $2999USD to $8000USD. Carbon and Aluminum frames. I can but probably shouldnt share more details until their official release.
    Awesome, cheers! But this is what I'm getting at, why isn't Jamis themselves getting people stoked on their gear by even just putting up teasers and the like? Compared to most other companies they don't seem as proactive in getting potential customers to their product. Bit of a head scratcher really....

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    That, I have no idea. Theyre making a number of excellent bikes, often at great prices, but their marketing seems to be consistently behind the curve.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So I found this on a google hit - HARDLINE / PORTAL Series - ハードライン/ポータル シリーズ / Jamis Bicycles - ジェイミスジャパン

Not really loving the build kits or the conversions based off the Yen. Hoping for better when the release is official in Western markets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    coil X2 on the portal is pretty sick.

bikes look great.

they're gonna get flak on their head angles. alot has changed in two years. they're 1-1.5 too steep on both bikes to be considered current im afraid. maybe on the east coast this won't matter, idk.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    We appreciate your interest, but international stuff is always difficult. It's up to the distributor as to what they choose to bring in and how much. We'll have a greatly expanded line for 2020, so hopefully Adventure Brands will increase their offerings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Carbon frames will be a solid 2+ pounds lighter than alloy models, plus the increased stiffness/efficiency found in carbon. It's always easier to tweak alloy, as carbon molds are NOT cheap.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    DirtRag Magazine has (finally) dropped their extended ride review of the Portal. Check it out here! https://dirtragmag.com/articles/review-jamis-portal-a1

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisdr View Post
    We appreciate your interest, but international stuff is always difficult. It's up to the distributor as to what they choose to bring in and how much. We'll have a greatly expanded line for 2020, so hopefully Adventure Brands will increase their offerings.
    I'm gonna be honest, that doesn't scream "we're super motivated to get our rad bikes under as many riders as possible". It comes across as the "meh" apathy that plagues a lot of the bike industry here in Oz. It would seem it's not limited to here either, judging by the number of brands that have gone direct-to-consumer, taking some of the "hope" element out of it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    How many years have the portal and hardline been out? I would be very interested in trying or buying one but the 2 year warranty seems a little low for a $3000 bike, especially with most manufacturers starting at 5 years or more.

My main question would be, even though the warranty is 2 years, will Jamis stand behind their frames after that and offer a fair replacement price? I get that crashes and abuse can fail frames, but I am going to be a casual rider who hopes to get out once or twice a month, and with 2 young kids, I don't see myself racking up a ton of miles or hours in those first 2 years of warranty.

Has anyone here had any warranty issues or is this a pretty solid platform?
    Thanks, Rob

mtbr member

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum

Quote Originally Posted by kxfracer108 View Post
    How many years have the portal and hardline been out? I would be very interested in trying or buying one but the 2 year warranty seems a little low for a $3000 bike, especially with most manufacturers starting at 5 years or more.

My main question would be, even though the warranty is 2 years, will Jamis stand behind their frames after that and offer a fair replacement price? I get that crashes and abuse can fail frames, but I am going to be a casual rider who hopes to get out once or twice a month, and with 2 young kids, I don't see myself racking up a ton of miles or hours in those first 2 years of warranty.

Has anyone here had any warranty issues or is this a pretty solid platform?
    Thanks, Rob
    Bike came out 2019...
    On an aluminium frame i wouldnt worry so much. Carbon is where everyone gets worried about warranty coverage.

I have had my Portal since May. Solid platform to me. If your a casual rider i dont think you have to worry.

Check out my IG (rukman.w) for some vids i took on my Portal at Pisgah.

https://instagram.com/rukman.w?r=nametag

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oldsklrdr; 05-01-2020 at 08:43 PM.

SR Suntour
    May 2006

Carbon is here!!!

The Carbon versions dropped today! What do we all think? https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/jamis3vo.html
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    looks pretty good. they're going to get slaughtered in the geometry wars though. at least on paper.

the coil X2 on the 130mm bike is pretty sweet.

i think the hardline looks like the better buy. if i was specc'ing a purpose-built enduro bike, i'd buy that over anything in the market for tighter trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    looks pretty good. they're going to get slaughtered in the geometry wars though. at least on paper.

the coil X2 on the 130mm bike is pretty sweet.

i think the hardline looks like the better buy. if i was specc'ing a purpose-built enduro bike, i'd buy that over anything in the market for tighter trails.
    I'm glad they specc'd SLX drivetrain and brakes on their entry-level carbon models (instead of NX and Guides). Not stoked on the Hardline C3 colorway, but otherwise a very intriguing package at a fair price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey all, could use some sizing help. There's a nice Hardline build online that I kind of want to jump on, but it's a size large and I am 5'10" with 31 inch inseam. Perpetually between sizes. What sizes are y'all running for your height and how do you like it? Portal or Hardline, doesn't matter since their geos are so close.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    I have the large and am 6' with about the same inseam 31.5 or so. It'd probably be perfect for you I've been working to get a little more front end height (10-15mm) but your reach should be a little different. I definitely wouldn't get the medium as your post would be so high and that would slacken the seat tube angle too much while pedaling.

mtbr member

Portal A1

Hello,
    I'm considering a Portal A1+ frameset purchase in size Large.
    I'd be building it with 29" wheels & 2.4" tires.
    Can anyone tell me the BB height on this configuration?
    Also, I'd need a shock.
    I'm 200lbs and riding New England singletrack. Does anyone have a shock recommendation for my weight and trail use?
    Shock sizing is 210mm (eye to eye) w/ a 55mm stroke.

thanks
    Last edited by client_9; 02-27-2020 at 05:50 PM. Reason: added info

mtbr member

measurement request

Hi,
    Could someone w/ a Portal measure the outer diameter of the top of the headtube please?
    The distance between these arrows. thanks.
    Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-ed454d7fad4b558111c42b646284a19e.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Hi,
    Could someone w/ a aluminum Portal measure the outer diameter of the top of the headtube please?
    The distance between these arrows. thanks.

Name:	ed454d7fad4b558111c42b646284a19e.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	1314287
    (anyone with the aluminum Portal) Anyone here?

mtbr member
    (anyone with the aluminum Portal) Anyone here?
    Its an odd question dude. What are you trying to do, find an alternative headset? Best I can offer is this, looks like 45mm OD, I think its the right one but no guarantees:

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/f...784.1585281637

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rccp View Post
    Its an odd question dude. What are you trying to do, find an alternative headset? Best I can offer is this, looks like 45mm OD, I think its the right one but no guarantees:

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/f...784.1585281637
    Yes, trying to minimize stack height.
    I'd like to use this headset: https://www.amaincycling.com/special...500003/p747620

mtbr member
    You probably really need inner dimension...

Portal uses integrated headset.
    IS42 , BEARING OD 41.8mm, BORE ID 41.9542.05MM

Bottom
    IS52 BEARING OD 52MM BORE ID 52.152.15MM

mtbr member
    Thanks!

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Just got me the new Jamis Carbon Portal C3! Swapped out the bars and fork but otherwise stock so far. Plan to swap wheels but will ride these first for a bit to see what I think and will swap the saddle and grips before I actually ride it. It's been raining 3 days straight here in Wisconsin so I'll have to wait until hopefully the weekend!

It went together great and looks much better than I thought (I don't like Maroon but I definitely wanted this build.). The published weight even after converting to tubeless is 2 lbs less than my build, I shaved over a pound of it with OneUp carbon bars and a lighter fork.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-ad8b567d-5c96-4e80-86e0-32f24ce29410.jpg
    Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-e17a7975-200b-496c-aeda-2f3a33b0961a.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    looks awesome. congrats.

mtbr member
    Very Nice!
    Keep us updated.
    I'm still waiting on the 2020 A1 frameset.

mtbr member
    Yes, trying to minimize stack height.
    I'd like to use this headset: https://www.amaincycling.com/special...500003/p747620
    Stock fsa headset on portal has a stack of 8mm from the cone spacer (8.5mm i think actually) at the top and bottom is 1mm. You could use a cane creek slamset which would reduce stack on top to 4.5mm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty View Post
    Just got me the new Jamis Carbon Portal C3! Swapped out the bars and fork but otherwise stock so far. Plan to swap wheels but will ride these first for a bit to see what I think and will swap the saddle and grips before I actually ride it. It's been raining 3 days straight here in Wisconsin so I'll have to wait until hopefully the weekend!

It went together great and looks much better than I thought (I don't like Maroon but I definitely wanted this build.). The published weight even after converting to tubeless is 2 lbs less than my build, I shaved over a pound of it with OneUp carbon bars and a lighter fork.
    Congrats!!

Jamis making some interesting color choices. Some of the frame colors i like (but not a fan of some of accent color choices). I think if they made better colorway combos they would sell more bikes. Lol.

I would definitely look into changing to a quicker engaging hub at some point. On my A2 it came specd with formula hubs which have 18 degrees of engagement. Swapped to a different wheelset which has 9.2 degrees which was a HUGE improvement and about to install an i9 1/1 wheelset which is 4 degrees.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Congrats!!

Jamis making some interesting color choices. Some of the frame colors i like (but not a fan of some of accent color choices). I think if they made better colorway combos they would sell more bikes. Lol.

I would definitely look into changing to a quicker engaging hub at some point. On my A2 it came specd with formula hubs which have 18 degrees of engagement. Swapped to a different wheelset which has 9.2 degrees which was a HUGE improvement and about to install an i9 1/1 wheelset which is 4 degrees.
    Thanks! My plan was to buy a 120mm bike of some sort and the Hardline carbon for enduro. But most of my mountain bike travel plans were scrapped for the year so figured I'd meet in the middle for the best bike on my home trails. But I almost didn't get the portal as I HATED the color of the C3 but wanted the new 12speed Shimano and didn't want to pay for the C2. It's growing on me now that I have it and looks nicer in the sun.

The plan is to get some Hunt wheels but they won't have micro spline until late May. They also spec'ed the 25mm internal DT Swiss wheels which I don't understand; I'll have to run slightly higher pressures to keep the tires from folding when I corner. But I figured I'd give them a try in the meantime. The fork also has 6mm less axle to crown than the stock Fox so I put it in low mode to compensate but might need to adjust that as well.

But overall I'm happy with it! Pedals like a dream, the tires seem awesome and the geometry is pretty nice although I might look at an angleset at some point to slacken it just a bit for some new features we have. I'll report back when I can ride the machine proper...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Name:	AD8B567D-5C96-4E80-86E0-32F24CE29410.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	642.8 KB 
ID:	1328603

Name:	E17A7975-200B-496C-AEDA-2F3A33B0961A.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	639.3 KB 
ID:	1328601
    Congrats on the purchase, really digging the maroon with yellow accents (my high school colors)! Looking forward to some ride reports. I still can't believe how little information there is on the internet about these bikes.

mtbr member
    Thanks! My plan was to buy a 120mm bike of some sort and the Hardline carbon for enduro. But most of my mountain bike travel plans were scrapped for the year so figured I'd meet in the middle for the best bike on my home trails. But I almost didn't get the portal as I HATED the color of the C3 but wanted the new 12speed Shimano and didn't want to pay for the C2. It's growing on me now that I have it and looks nicer in the sun.

The plan is to get some Hunt wheels but they won't have micro spline until late May. They also spec'ed the 25mm internal DT Swiss wheels which I don't understand; I'll have to run slightly higher pressures to keep the tires from folding when I corner. But I figured I'd give them a try in the meantime. The fork also has 6mm less axle to crown than the stock Fox so I put it in low mode to compensate but might need to adjust that as well.

But overall I'm happy with it! Pedals like a dream, the tires seem awesome and the geometry is pretty nice although I might look at an angleset at some point to slacken it just a bit for some new features we have. I'll report back when I can ride the machine proper...
    Fyi...with regard to angleset....

Cannot be done due to the use of integrated headset design

Ive been really impressed with the vittoria tires. The rubber compound with the graphene is great. So much so that my brother got a set of martellos for his bike (which he likes more than the maxxis dhf/dhr combo which came stock) and i picked up a set of vittoria agarros for my other rig.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Alright, no angleset for me. Waiting for a different air shaft for my fork to make it a touch longer to get the angle proper.

Had the first ride on it (pretty casual with my family with only a couple sections of rip...) and rode it in low mode.

First of all, I broke the chain 1.3 miles in. So that stunk. It's a KMC 12spd, with a lot less torque then I'm capable of. Only has a 12spd Sram Eagle only link, but it seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions for me (companioning mostly to my 2018 Trek Fuel EX):
    -It was poppier than I thought. Cleared the jump lines better and with less effort.
    -It pedals great...like really great.
    -I wanted a degree or two more of seat tube angle when I bought it. I just moved the rails up about 1cm more than I used to and was very happy with the position.
    -The color looked better in the sun.
    -It railed tighter berms better than I thought.
    -The rims are too narrow. I'm a big dude but even at 30PSI I could get them to deform a little too much. But the grip was there, so I'll order a second wheel set.
    -Seems like it'll be absolutely perfect for midwestern pedally singletrack.
    -Love Shimano brakes.

Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-76bdb6aa-6a9a-4b31-82be-5ff69e1df8ff.jpg
    Jamis Portal and Hardline Forum-913cc1e0-0ad5-418e-830f-8c5f83264d98.jpg

mtbr member
    Alright, no angleset for me. Waiting for a different air shaft for my fork to make it a touch longer to get the angle proper.

Had the first ride on it (pretty casual with my family with only a couple sections of rip...) and rode it in low mode.

First of all, I broke the chain 1.3 miles in. So that stunk. It's a KMC 12spd, with a lot less torque then I'm capable of. Only has a 12spd Sram Eagle only link, but it seemed to work alright.

Initial impressions for me (companioning mostly to my 2018 Trek Fuel EX):
    -It was poppier than I thought. Cleared the jump lines better and with less effort.
    -It pedals great...like really great.
    -I wanted a degree or two more of seat tube angle when I bought it. I just moved the rails up about 1cm more than I used to and was very happy with the position.
    -The color looked better in the sun.
    -It railed tighter berms better than I thought.
    -The rims are too narrow. I'm a big dude but even at 30PSI I could get them to deform a little too much. But the grip was there, so I'll order a second wheel set.
    -Seems like it'll be absolutely perfect for midwestern pedally singletrack.
    -Love Shimano brakes.

Name:	76BDB6AA-6A9A-4B31-82BE-5FF69E1DF8FF.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	448.2 KB 
ID:	1330237

Name:	913CC1E0-0AD5-418E-830F-8C5F83264D98.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	1330239
    I am running 140mm Pike fork and will swap to 150 airshaft to see how i like it. That will basically change HA by 1 degree from original 130mm

I had kicked around idea of shorter offset fork but that is a pricey project. Lol

I quickly changed to 30mm internal width rimset...Kind of silly they specd 25mm stock.

mtbr member
    I am running 140mm Pike fork and will swap to 150 airshaft to see how i like it. That will basically change HA by 1 degree from original 130mm

I had kicked around idea of shorter offset fork but that is a pricey project. Lol

I quickly changed to 30mm internal width rimset...Kind of silly they specd 25mm stock.
    I have a Lyrik fork currently at 160mm which I was gonna reduce to 140mm for my Portal build.
    Let me know how the 150mm airshaft changes things.
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Portal with 150mm up front is good. I run mine in low mode all the time. I only wish the seat angle was bit steeper but I moved the saddle forward a touch to compensate. My jamis dealer friend and riding buddy also preferred 150mm. He had 150 on his first AL portal but now has a stock 130mm carbon build that he wants to go 140 or 150 with.

I've only been on 26mm internal rims on mine (owned before building portal) but I'm still planning on a 2nd wheelset. I'll set my current set up with Barzo/ Mezcal combo for local trail riding and move my Gomas over to a wider set for local bike park and marquette/copper harbor trips (once we can travel again! ) Hopefully I9 enduro if I can sell my hardtail soon to keep the wife from killing me in my sleep. Covid-19 making it hard right now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    Portal with 150mm up front is good. I run mine in low mode all the time. I only wish the seat angle was bit steeper but I moved the saddle forward a touch to compensate. My jamis dealer friend and riding buddy also preferred 150mm. He had 150 on his first AL portal but now has a stock 130mm carbon build that he wants to go 140 or 150 with.

I've only been on 26mm internal rims on mine (owned before building portal) but I'm still planning on a 2nd wheelset. I'll set my current set up with Barzo/ Mezcal combo for local trail riding and move my Gomas over to a wider set for local bike park and marquette/copper harbor trips (once we can travel again! ) Hopefully I9 enduro if I can sell my hardtail soon to keep the wife from killing me in my sleep. Covid-19 making it hard right now.
    Thanks for the intel.

I'll be getting the '20 Portal A1 this Spring.
    I have a 30mm wheelset w/ fresh Goma tires I'll be using.

I might have Avalanche custom tune a Marzocchi coil shock w/ a progressive spring for me.

I'll report back on the build.