Jamis Frames- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jamis Frames

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Jamis Frames

I just bought a new 2016 Dragon pro. I am very excited about it . Now I come on here and there are all kinds of posts about broken frames. I am starting to get worried about my new purchase, considering I want a reliable bike for years. I had a Specialized Hardrock for 5 years and really pushed it to it's limit with no problems - I would expect the same and more from this new bike. I am 165 lbs and ride hard but considering where I am (midwest), no bike parks or downhill stuff. Nothing that a slack 120mm hardtail should not be able to take.

With that being said should I worry about the quality of this frame? Do Dragons have any kind of reputation for breaking? I mostly saw mid 2000's aluminum and some carbon frames. Anyone have any anecdotes about Jamis and steel frames?

mtbr member
    I have a 2011 Jamis Dragon and the only frame problem I've had has been the head badge coming off. I'm a big guy too at 225. No frame issues at all. Some of the components, like the crappy Avid Juicy brakes, are a different story but that happens with all bikes. Just enjoy and don't worry about it. This forum seems to only attract those who have issues.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    By the way I also recently bought a Jamis Roughneck fat bike which has been awesome! If I had issues with the brand I wouldn't keep buying them. Jamis keeps getting my money
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    To be sure Jamis has had some problems with their earlier model frames. My experience was I had a 2010 650B that cracked at both chainstays simultaneously. The warranty replacement a 2012 650B2 frame cracked at the chainstay. My latest warranty replacement the 2014 Jamis Dakar XCT 650B is a completely different front and rear triangle and has been very robust with no signs of stress in almost two years of riding
    and over 2000+ miles. They really seem to have it right now. I am passing on my bike to my son that is is how confident I am in the version I now own. They have fantastic warranty service. I have 3 frames and many more miles to go since buying my 2010 frame new which was my only purchase or cost. That is standing behind their product.
    Jamis is a much maligned company that makes some great riding bikes. Happy riding!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey folks. I am looking for a Jamis Dragon 13" 26er frame or frameset. No matter how old. Looking to build something nice for my girl. Let me know if you are looking to sell one. Have fun out there!

Rides all the bikes!
    I would argue that I ride my 2012 Jamis 650b Pro HARD. I've done a full XC season on this bike, I do local group rides probably catching upwards of 5' of air. I've binned it pretty well. this bike has a reputation for cracking the chain stay, but I haven't had a problem.

I'm so happy with this bike that my first thought when I decided to buy a dedicated XC hard tail was to by a Jamis. But my LBS made me way too good of a deal on a Cannondale FS-i that I couldn't pass up. If my 2016 season goes as god as I hope, I'll consider an upgrade for 2017 (this is my make it or break it season).

So I wouldn't stress too much.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I bought a used 2005 Jamis Dakar XC Pro off craigslist in 2014 and It has been great. I am replacing components but there have been no frame issues for the past 2 years. The previous owner who was a XC racer told me that he cracked the carbon seat stays and Jamis replaced it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Delete
    Last edited by MTBSPEC; 08-31-2016 at 06:16 AM.