Jamis Diablo - late 90's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2019

Jamis Diablo - late 90's?

Hi, I saw this bike listed locally and am interested in it, but having trouble finding much information about Jamis Diablos from the mid-late 90s.

There are a few threads about it on retrobike.co.uk, with some conflicting information. I'm curious what the differences are between this and the Dakota and Dragon? How does the steel compare?

What do you think it's worth, assuming the fork is shot and the other components are a mix? The rear derailer is a wood-look SRAM 9.0SL.

Thanks!
    Jamis Diablo - late 90's?-jamis-diablo.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    So as far as i can tell that is a 1996 diablo. going by the cable guides on the top of the top tube and the way the seat clamp is designed integrated into frame. The 97 had a regular removable seat collar. The 1996 came with a ridgid fork, shimano XT derailleurs and shifters , 24 spd. The frame material is double butted chromoly. Mavic 238 hooops on shimano LX hubs, 11-28 cassette, WTB velociraptor tires, white industries crankset, Shimano LX brakes with avid speed dial levers, vetta saddle, spectre handle bar, spectre seat post.

The 1997 they used a suspension fork. in 1998 the diablo was reintroduced as a carbon full suspension rig.

In 1996 the dakota was a similar design but equipped with a suspension fork similar drive train and components

looks like the geometries of the dragon, diablo and dakota were the same.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Thanks for the info! A user on bikeforums.net also confirmed 1996 Diablo, based on the downtube cabling and metallic finish.

Do you have access to old Jamis catalogs? retrobike has a lot of useful ones, but I couldn't find Jamis.

I ended up buying this bike a couple days after I posted the thread. The seller had bought the frame and built it up himself, and was familiar with its history. He wanted to thin his herd and let this old bike come back to life, so he let me have it for $60. Over the next few weeks I'm going to clean it, tune it up and evaluate all the components.

The suspension fork needs to be overhauled, which works well because I want a rigid one for my bikepacking plans anyway. Other than the fork, I'm hoping the other components still have some life in them.

I'll follow up with more pictures and updates on the project!

Thanks again.

P.S. I just realized I didn't write about my plans for this bike in the original post. I'm planning to start bikepacking locally (SF bay area) and work up to a long-term trip through Latin America. Chose an old 26" steel frame to keep costs low and maximize ease of repair in countries with less access to modern parts.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayerChris View Post
    So as far as i can tell that is a 1996 diablo. going by the cable guides on the top of the top tube and the way the seat clamp is designed integrated into frame. The 97 had a regular removable seat collar. The 1996 came with a ridgid fork, shimano XT derailleurs and shifters , 24 spd. The frame material is double butted chromoly. Mavic 238 hooops on shimano LX hubs, 11-28 cassette, WTB velociraptor tires, white industries crankset, Shimano LX brakes with avid speed dial levers, vetta saddle, spectre handle bar, spectre seat post.

The 1997 they used a suspension fork. in 1998 the diablo was reintroduced as a carbon full suspension rig.

In 1996 the dakota was a similar design but equipped with a suspension fork similar drive train and components

looks like the geometries of the dragon, diablo and dakota were the same.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by adlu View Post
    Thanks for the info! A user on bikeforums.net also confirmed 1996 Diablo, based on the downtube cabling and metallic finish.

Do you have access to old Jamis catalogs? retrobike has a lot of useful ones, but I couldn't find Jamis.

I ended up buying this bike a couple days after I posted the thread. The seller had bought the frame and built it up himself, and was familiar with its history. He wanted to thin his herd and let this old bike come back to life, so he let me have it for $60. Over the next few weeks I'm going to clean it, tune it up and evaluate all the components.

The suspension fork needs to be overhauled, which works well because I want a rigid one for my bikepacking plans anyway. Other than the fork, I'm hoping the other components still have some life in them.

I'll follow up with more pictures and updates on the project!

Thanks again.

P.S. I just realized I didn't write about my plans for this bike in the original post. I'm planning to start bikepacking locally (SF bay area) and work up to a long-term trip through Latin America. Chose an old 26" steel frame to keep costs low and maximize ease of repair in countries with less access to modern parts.
    Your Welcome, I do have access to a few older catalogs. I used to have a 1997 Dakar. Sounds like a good plan. Should be lot s of fun. Best wishes on your adventure

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonSlayerChris View Post
    Your Welcome, I do have access to a few older catalogs. I used to have a 1997 Dakar. Sounds like a good plan. Should be lot s of fun. Best wishes on your adventure
    Hi DragonSlayerChris,

Could you let me know what the catalog lists on the 1996 Diablo's head tube /steerer/ headset size on there? I'm trying to confirm something that surprised me today when I compared the old fork to a new one I was hoping to buy off Craigslist - it looks like the headtube takes only 1" threadless steerers.

I had assumed it was 1 1/8"!!! Thanks for your help!

Cycologist
    Great deal for $60!

I have a 2003 Dakota XC (631) and a 2005 Dragon (853) and a 2002 Quest (631).
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Hi DragonSlayerChris,

Could you let me know what the catalog lists on the 1996 Diablo's head tube /steerer/ headset size on there? I'm trying to confirm something that surprised me today when I compared the old fork to a new one I was hoping to buy off Craigslist - it looks like the headtube takes only 1" threadless steerers.

This is a tough one. The catalog does not specify the steerer tube diameter. The aluminum framed bikes have 1 1/8" steerers, but the steel ? it is possible that it does have a 1" steerer. It says that it has an ahead set head set so that would make me think that it was a 1 1/8" steerer, however because that model used a ridgid fork from the factory it may have not. Have you measured the head tube inside diameter ? See if there is a 1 1/8" headset that is compatible with those measurements ?

mtbr member
    Hi DragonSlayerChris,

Based on the newer stem unless it has a shim in it this has a 1 1/8" headset. That stem would be newer than 96. I don't recall the marzochi forks ever being available in 1" either. Looks like a Z2 or Z2 air.