Jamis Dakar XC?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Jamis Dakar XC?

WI. Big Boy MTBer

Jamis Dakar XC?

Hey folks, a bad back has forced me to part with my hardtail and look to a full boinger.
    I have heard so many good things about the Jamis Dakar series that I am almost ready to check one out. I need some imput from all you Jamis afficianados regarding the base model Dakar. I know this bike is on the porky side weight wise, but I'm not into hammering much anymore. I want to use it for some twisty, rocky singletrack not much, if any marathon climbing. Is this a decent starting point upgradeable bike? a $895 I have to ask. Thanks -FBJ (ps. the price is what I can afford )
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    The Dakar XC is the same basic design as the Dakar and Dakar Sport frame from 2005 with some minor mods. I bought an 19" 05 dakar when there was a close-out at Jenson and really like the bike. I 6 ft and approx 225 - 230, I've changed the forks because the stock ones were too soft and there are no avaiable springs for them anymore. I have a few bikes but use this one several times a week (I leave it at work for a lunch-time ride). I have an 05 Sport (same but with an airshock) that I use as much as I can. I also have an 05 Dakar XLT 2.0, but feel more comfortable on the Sport since the feel to me is a bit more stretched out.
    BTW, bicycle banannas has some leftovers, that may lower your price a few hundred.

Members who have read this thread: 0