I think I have a problem- Mtbr.com
    KingBean

I think I have a problem

Anybody else has had an issue with your Exile 29er????

This happened yesterday going uphill, fortunately. No warnings or anything.
    I didnt notice any cracks or any wear on the frame before.

The shop I bought this bike from is out of business. I just took it today to my LBS which happens to be a Jamis dealer and they told me it shouldn't be an issue to get a replacement under warranty.

The bike is not even a year old. I got it the end of November last year!! And this is not my only bike, so it is not like I am riding it every day.

I was just curious to see if somebody has had this problem. Is it a design issue a manufacturing issue or just bad luck????

I am a cross country rider, it is not like I was hucking on this bike.

Hopefully I will be able to get a replacement under warranty.
    "I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know... That or His Dudeness, Duder, El Dudarino..."
    MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rust?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Seems to be...

...a recurring incident with the 2007 model. The 2008's were reinforced at that junction. Regardless, Jamis dropped the Exile 29'er for 2009, and I've heard that they are warrantying Exile frames with Dragon One frames.

Cheers,

mtbr member
    Well you can have it welded, or get a new frame and move all the parts over.

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    My experience with Jamis warranty was very good when I found a crack in my Dakar Sport's headtube. I would feel confident that they will take care of you on it.
    i ride bikes

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Wow, it hurts to see that. I have an Exile SS (2006, 26er) that looks just like that. I absolutely love the bike, and always thought the frame was the best part of it (looks, feel, weight, etc.) Let me know how if you've contacted Jamis yet and what they said (PM or email if you feel it is more appropriate) I hope it all worked out well for you. Thanks!

KingBean
    Quote Originally Posted by xls
    Wow, it hurts to see that. I have an Exile SS (2006, 26er) that looks just like that. I absolutely love the bike, and always thought the frame was the best part of it (looks, feel, weight, etc.) Let me know how if you've contacted Jamis yet and what they said (PM or email if you feel it is more appropriate) I hope it all worked out well for you. Thanks!
    Well, I went to my LBS which is a Jamis dealer and I will get a replacement frame, I just dont know when, since they dont have EXILES anymore and apparently they dont have the 09 models yet, which in this case the replacement will be a DRAGON ONE.

Only thing I see, EXILE was REynolds 631 and the DRAGON ONE I believe is Reynolds 520. I dont know much about the steel grades, but it seems like an inferior quality.
    Hey, but I WILL get a replacement so
    "I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know... That or His Dudeness, Duder, El Dudarino..."
    MTBNJ.COM

Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jamisVermont
    Well you can have it welded, or get a new frame and move all the parts over.
    Can't reweld that. Look at all the damage due to the failure. None of the ends are clean and the metal is torn and deformed.

xls
    Eduardo Naranja
    Quote Originally Posted by elzoller
    Hey, but I WILL get a replacement so
    Cool! Thanks for posting a follow-up!

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Only thing I see, EXILE was REynolds 631 and the DRAGON ONE I believe is Reynolds 520. I dont know much about the steel grades, but it seems like an inferior quality.
    If my understanding of steel grades is that the Dragon is Reynolds 853 and the Exile is 631. From reading the website, it sounds like the 853 is stronger, with thinner, and lighter walls. The result is a lighter frame that gives a better ride. Sounds like you came out really good on this one. Another for Jamis customer service.
    i ride bikes

KingBean
    7 Months later and still nothing....

I am really at Jamis for their lack of information, follow up, etc.
    I rate their customer service as VERY POOR.

Today CS told me they have no idea when they will get their new DRAGON ONE frames.

nothing but frustration here...

I am sorry about having 3 posts for this but I have nowhere else to go and I don't know what else to do
    MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    7 Months later and still nothing....

I am really at Jamis for their lack of information, follow up, etc.
    I rate their customer service as VERY POOR.

Today CS told me they have no idea when they will get their new DRAGON ONE frames.

nothing but frustration here...

I am sorry about having 3 posts for this but I have nowhere else to go and I don't know what else to do
    Well hopefully this thread will be seen by Jamis and you will get some satisfaction. I'm ready to shell out some cash on a Dragon Pro complete. I love the bike but for me company support is a huge part of the decision. I'll be curious to see what happens with this. Anybody from Jamis care to weigh in?
    Last edited by Fat & Hairy; 05-04-2009 at 05:16 PM.

KingBean
    Well.....after all this waiting...7+ months....Jamis did the right thing and made it up to me.

It was a struggle, a painful experience but glad it ended on a happy note. Today I received FULL Dragon One bike in exchange for my broken Exile frame.

Hopefully this was just a 'hick-up' in their customer service department and I hope nobody has to go through what I went through with them. I guess it was just bad luck that happened to me.

I can't wait to put it together and hit the trails!

Thanks Jamis.
    MTBNJ.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Glad to hear Jamis took care of you. Reputation is everything.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Awesome! Glad to hear that they took care of a loyal customer. I have 3 friends with exile 29ers and they haven't had that problem. I have an 05 dakota xc made out of 631 steel and I haven't had a problem either. I hope it doesn't fail like yours. That would be catastrophic in certain situations.

Members who have read this thread: 0