Durango or Komodo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Durango or Komodo?

Hi all,

New to mtbr.com and seeking some advice.

If this needs to go in the beginners forum, I understand. However in my situation I'm looking specifically at the 2009 Jamis line of hardtails and trying to decide which entry level bike would be ideal.

I live about 3 miles from a park which has some well known MTB trails. I'm a new rider looking to get onto a bike that I can ride to the park, enjoy some trail riding, then ride home. The trails range from the casual 5-6 bike lane trails to the extreme single tracks and everything in between. I do not intend to get into high flying jumps or extreme riding. But I do want a durable bike that can be ridden hard and still get me home at the end of the day.

I went to a local shop today with the intention on buying a Jamis Trail X3 but after comparing it to the other Jamis hardtails it didn't take me long to see that the Trail series probably wouldn't be ideal for my intended use. So now I'm looking at the entry level Durango 1 or the Komodo 1. I'm hoping to keep my purchase to $600 or less but would probably go a few dollars over with the sales tax on the Komodo.

Just looking for comments, opinions, feedback, experiences, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    1. How much do you weigh?
    2. What do YOU mean by "extreme" singletrack?

I thought I could ride a "Durango type hardtail", but I soon figured out that it wasn't enough. I've moved up to a Komodo b/c I like to jump and drop a bit. I ride to catch a little air off whatever has lips.

If you're gonna stay firmly planted and you aren't a "Hoss", consider the Durango. JensonUSA.com has great deals on Durango's and Komodo's. Check them out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm 245 but on my way down. I was 327 this time last year but that's a whole nother story. The bike is going to be a gift to myself for all of the weight loss and to also give me another reason to get outdoors and get active. Ideally I want to be down to 200lb by the end of this year.

As far as extreme single tracks the park where I will be riding has some stuff that just looks crazy to me. 5-8 ft drops that are pretty much straight down and places where you can catch big air. I mostly see guy there with the high end bikes pulling of some sick tricks. Not really anything that interests me.

My idea of being aggressive is probably just casual to most people. Riding down a winding trail, hopping over small obstacles, maybe catching a little air off the lip of a jump. Small drop here or there.

I'm pretty sure I just talked myself into the Komodo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would say that your riding style screams for a standard trail bike. (Durango) But your current weight is gonna push it to the edge. If you don't mind pushing the extra weight, the Komodo would be great JIK you decide you wanna do some of those drops later. If you just wanna "go fast" along some winding singletrack w/o pushing that extra bike weight...Durango.

You can always lighten up the Komodo. It is sorta built to be ridden aggressively...shorter cockpit, more upright. Ride them both and see what feels good.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I don't mind the weight of the Komodo. From what I can tell based off the specs it's a 2lb difference. For someone like me this is my first bike in over 15 years. So I wouldn't notice the difference as much as a seasoned rider. Which is why I'm having such a hard time choosing a bike. I can ride them all and find out which one feels better to me. But I don't know enough about the differences in geometry and components to really be able to decide what is the better buy.

mtbr member
    The Geometry is a little different from my 07 Komodo but I really like mine a lot.Great for climbing as well as down hill.I would go Komodo if it were me.
    2016 Intense spider/Recluse build
    2015 Jamis komodo
    10 Banshee Viento

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I would too, but it is a bit overkill for a sit'n'spinner.

Hip

Feb 2008
    First off....congrats on the weight loss!!!!! I was 369 at one point and am 230 right now. I have a 08' Komodo II. Unless you are going to ride agressive....I would not get it. It dosnt climb well and will work you in a trail especially flat ground. My bke is almost identical to what you are looking at. I hooked it up and it is sweet but it just sits there much of the time. I rarely ride mine unless I am going to a place where there are jumps and drops. I have a 07' Jamis Cross Country that I have been riding. Its like the first bike you looked at. I was riding it at 300 pounds and doing little 6" drops and rooty trails and it is still fine. I am ordering a Dakar XTC this week and giving the Cross Country to my freind. Do yourself a favor and stick to a trail bike. Good Luck. Heres my Komodo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hip

Feb 2008
    I tried to huck that boulder...like a 6' drop. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNonCyLuXxo

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks Hip! And congrats on your weight loss! I know how much time, effort and dedication it takes to do it and I tip my hat to you. My goal is 200 or as close to it as I can get.

I actually took the Komodo 1 out for a spin and didn't like it as much as I was hoping. I could tell it wasn't ideal for a rider like me. I don't mean to dis any Jamis riders but in my search for a bike I ended up going with a Spec RH comp disc. I got a really good deal on a leftover 2008 model and for my my intended use it should last me a really long time.

Hip

Feb 2008

Awesome!!

I just got a leftover Specialized P2 park bike....LOVE it!! My girl has a Hardrock for trail riding. Seem like decent bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Too bad...you hurt my Komodo's feelings, jsk. LOL
    Here's mine:

Hip...I don't see you figure that boulder drop to be 6' unless you land out a ways from it. Drops are typically measured from the lip straight down to the ground which would put that one at approx 3-4'.

Either way, you have some funn stuff to ride, don't take it for granted. Here in KS...the only drops we have are either to flat, or urban stair gaps. (and not many at that)

Hip

Feb 2008

Drop

It was just over 6' from the lip of the boulder to the landing. It is basically on a hill and the landing is a bit further out. Ill show a pic with me standing where the landing is. Its over my head.

Hip

Feb 2008

Video...

If you look at the video you can see where the back tire lands. The ground against the rock is about 4' where I had to land is 3 or 4 feet past that on the drop. You cant see it but there are boulders next to it flush with the ground that i had to land between. It was bad from the start.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    SWEEEET!

Nice ride, and nice terrain...you're spoiled dood

Hip

Feb 2008

Yeh...

We dont have much around here. Its pretty cool that we have a little bit within an hour drive. South Jersey is no B.C. LOL

Love your Komodo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Hip
    I tried to huck that boulder...like a 6' drop. Not good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNonCyLuXxo
    I figured out what you did wrong...you fell

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i have a durango 3.0 and love it. when i got it i was at 280 now im down to 190 and was hitting jumps and drops with no problem. havent had to replace anything due to breakage yet except the rear deraileur hanger from a wicked spill.

Members who have read this thread: 0