Dakar XLT problem- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Dakar XLT problem

this past fall I bought a leftover 07 Dakar XLT frame from my LBS. The bike rides great however I'm having issues with the pivot where the seatstays join up with the arm. on the bikes 3rd ride I completely blew both bearings apart and replaced them with enduro bearings. After my ride yesterday which is probably only this bikes 10th ride or so I noticed a lot of play in that spot that wasn't there before, so I took everything apart and found the bushing in there seem to be what is creating the play and I found that the bolt that goes through was bent.

Anybody else have this problem? I really like the frame, but I'm not going through this every couple of rides.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Warranty

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed
    Warranty

At this point I honestly don't want to ride this frame unless they have some kind of upgrade for it. I was thinking that maybe the newer parkers had a different setup that could be used on my XLT, or at least thats what I was hoping for anyway. I'm taking it into the shop tommrow hopefully.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Are these the bearings you are refering to?Bearing.jpg
    This is from my 2005 Xlt 2.0, and I replaced those bearings a number of times.
    I now have a 2007 XLT and have had no problems with them

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yeah those are the bearing that I blew out the first time, but they are fine now, either the bushings in the actual arm wore out over maybe 10 rides or the holes in the arm are ovalized.
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took it to the shop today and it turns out the arm is ovalized, twisted and who knows what else. I should hear from Jamis tommrow

I'm pretty sure they will make it right
    I Ride Bikes.

mtbr member

No issues here...

I've been riding a 2004 vintage XLT that I got new in 2006 for a few years with no issues.

However, I am going to go home tonight and check

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Well I got the parts yesterday stripped it down and put the new stuff on.

I really appreciate that jamis took good care of me, but to be honest after completely stripping it down I understand that at least my XLT frame is not on par with the some of the other big companies. The arm needed to be filed just for the shock to fit, the bearings were a B*@ch to put in and I can see exactly why it twisted and am kinda scared that it will do it again. But you get what you pay for. When I bought the frame I didn't have 1500 bucks to drop on a frame, I got this one for 400, so for what I paid it is a stellar frame. Jamis is still Ok in my book, but I doubt I'll buy another FS bike from them since I am a bigger rider and I ride too much to deal with issues. Although my XCR frame seems to hold up fine.

If the bike stays together I'll be super happy because the bike does ride fine, but if I have the same issue I'll be interested to see what Jamis does.
    I Ride Bikes.

I'm SUCH a square....
    Wow, the only frame-related issue I had with my '05 XLT was the Swinger 3 shock...what a turd. I now have a Metel R coil, and it's toooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeet! I'm a Clyde, also, so it's doing its job for ME!!!!
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

Members who have read this thread: 0