Dakar XCT for lift-served DH/Freeride?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Dakar XCT for lift-served DH/Freeride?

Hi all,

I recently spent a few hour riding lift-served downhill at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires (Western Massachusetts). I rode a Santa Cruz V10 and a Giant Glory. I had a blast. For a while I've been thinking of buying a Jamis Dakar XCT 2, because a lot of the trails I ride would be more fun on a burlier, full-suspension bike, compared to my old school XC-oriented hardtail.

Does anyone here ever ride an XCT on lift-served terrain? I'm wondering if this series of bike would do okay there. I don't want to get a burlier bike like a XAM because most of my riding will be aggressive XC/all mountain/trail riding, and I'd only occasionally be going to a ski area to ride the lifts.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Alex

mtbr member
    Doesn't seam as though many people have experience with the XCT in those conditions. The XCT is more XC, not as much all mountain. I ride a Dakar Sport (XC) and and Dakar XLT (all mountain) and would expect an XAM would be better for all-mountain and trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I can see the XAM being better for all mountain/trail riding. The thing is, I will be riding XC for most of my riding (90-95%), and a couple times a season at a resort, most likely. The XC I do is rugged, challenging and technical, and I like to ride hard, that's why I think the XCT would be a good bike for me. Surely it would be an okay bike at the resort a couple times a year? It has pretty much the same travel the XAM has. I guess the wheels are not as sturdy? Standover height is higher?

On a related note, how does the Marzocchi fork on the XCT2 compare to the nicer Fox on the XCT3? Obviously it doesn't have adjustable travel, but in terms of quality and feel?

renaissance cyclist
    What about a Parker?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The Parker definitely looks like a fun bike, but if a lot of my riding includes extensive climbing, I'm not sure it's the bike for me.

mtbr member
    Well I'm fairly heavy and ride hard on my Dakar Sport and XLT. I can't offer much more advice than I've given but the XCT should be a good climber. Can you rent one and try it out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good question. I'm not sure if the shops around here do that, but I could look into it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Xct/xam

Quote Originally Posted by akahn
    Hi all,

I recently spent a few hour riding lift-served downhill at Jiminy Peak in the Berkshires (Western Massachusetts). I rode a Santa Cruz V10 and a Giant Glory. I had a blast. For a while I've been thinking of buying a Jamis Dakar XCT 2, because a lot of the trails I ride would be more fun on a burlier, full-suspension bike, compared to my old school XC-oriented hardtail.

Does anyone here ever ride an XCT on lift-served terrain? I'm wondering if this series of bike would do okay there. I don't want to get a burlier bike like a XAM because most of my riding will be aggressive XC/all mountain/trail riding, and I'd only occasionally be going to a ski area to ride the lifts.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
    Alex
    Hi there, I have a bunch of riding time on both a XCT 3 and XAM 2. The XCT is more aggressive XC type of bike. The bike rocks but it may be out of it's element if ridden alot at lift service terrain park. I did ride a XCT 3 at Diablo just to get an idea of the bike and while I could ride the easier trails it was clear that a bike like a XAM is more suited for the bike park type of riding. However, I've been riding a XAM as my XC bike since last year. The bike is super versatile. XC ride on Monday, park ride on Sunday. The XAM is a sleeper of a bike for sure. If I had to have only 1 bike for everything it would definately be a XAM, or 6" AM type of bike. My XAM 2 weighs 33lbs so not light for XC but given the versatility of the bike I feel it's an amazing feat that the bike can do drops and be durable for only 33lbs.
    I can see the XCT gaining popularity due to it's lighter weight and with super D and marathon racing becoming more popular this bike may bridge the gap between XC race bikes and AM bikes very well.
    If your doing mostly trail riding and like to go to the bike park once a month or so then the answer in my mind is clear. XAM. If you take the bike park element out of the picture and you want to dabble in some XC/Super D/Marathon racing then XCT.
    One note, I have a year on my XAM and I've had literally no issues with the bike. The pivot's stayed tight ect... The XCT I have approx 3 months on and so far has been very reliable. The only think I broke on the XCT was a right brake lever from a crash.
    On the XCT I run 15mm sag front and rear, seems to stick to the ground real well and carve a sick inside line while maintaining high speed stability. Rebound set at half on the fork and 4 clicks out(from full) on the shock. Bike pedals suprisingly well with out a lock out. On the XAM I run 20mm sag front and rear, rides great here but I've been messing with the idea of running 25mm just for the heck of it. Fork compression is set 1 turn out on the lsc and 2 turns out on the hsc, rebound is 5 out. Rear shock is rebound 6 out, bottom out set at 1/4 turn in, and boost valve pressure is 200psi.
    My 2 pennies....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the thorough response. The XAM is tempting because it looks like it'd be a very fun bike, especially on the downhill. But given that the vast majority of my riding will be XC (even if it is rugged and technical XC), I think the XCT 3 is a better choice. There are some killer climbs on the trails I ride here in Western Mass that I think the XCT 3 will be more capable on. And the couple of times per season that I ride at a resort, I can rent a bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0